Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2020, 07:59 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,902,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
I like your priorities. Beer is #1!

I wonder if bread yeast is the kind of thing that would become scarce if people start ransacking the grocery stores.

The OTC meds, certainly, and also the Lysol and Clorox.

Don't forget matches and candles.

I picked up some D and C cells from the Costco yesterday, for the various LED lanterns scattered around the house. One package of 10 batteries is probably enough for a couple of years. Those things last forever.
The list: Missing primatene mist. I'ts available OTC again.

Batteries: I stopped buying C and D size batteries years ago. They have adapters that allow you to turn an AA battery (or batteries) into a C or D so that way you only have to buy one type of rechargeable battery and battery charger to run most of your things regardless if the device takes AA, C, or D. Modern rechargeable batteries hold so much energy that some lowly AAs do pretty good substituting for a D Cell:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...language=en_US

I like these D adapters because you can choose if you want to use 1, 2, or 3 AA batteries in it:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AA-to-Size-...c3a81a7d8369de

And the AAA to AA adapter:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...language=en_US

I've tried MANY types of rechargeable batteries. Eneloop are the best. They seem expensive but they can be recharged over 2,000 times, have no memory effect, and hold a charge a long time (unlike old fashioned rechargeables)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...anguage=en_US:

I have a 3 "D battery" maglite I converted to LED bulb and use the D adapters above in it. I 'could' run it off of 3 AA batteries but I have it loaded it up with 9 because it's flashlight / battery storage unit. If I need AA batteries I can just open up the maglite and take AA's out of it. It's just as bright if there are 3 or 9 AA batteries in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2020, 10:21 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,404,215 times
about bread yeast--

:earn how to make a sourdough starter, it will live forever if you tend it right.

Old 02-28-2020, 03:46 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,916,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Funny. Dog food was one of the first items on my list!
They would get my stores if needed. It's just crazy how expensive food is today and these two occasionally go on strike and I have to start all over finding their food de jour.
I use to grab any ole bag for my past dogs and they lived long lives. What I might do is revert to old habits, not so far as Gravy Train or today's junk food equivalent, and have something if we really have an emergency (still not convinced). When crisis blows over, donate it to a shelter.

Old 02-28-2020, 04:23 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,376,409 times
Quote:
Funny. Dog food was one of the first items on my list!
If I'm doing Costco run (90 miles each way) dog food has always been at the top of the list but I don't need any where near as much as I used to when I had 6 big dogs of my own an generally 4 or more in foster care. Back then I'd fill my Suburban with 30 of the 40 pound bags and went through it pretty fast. Fortunately I have a very big garage with room for plenty of storage racks and still fit the 'burb in too.

Brought home 6 bags plus several cases of wet food. They won't go hungry.

The only thing that I'm not super stoked on is ice cream and I'd need another whole freezer to store enough for my addiction. Even if I rationed it carefully so I guess I'll just have to learn to do without.

Old 02-28-2020, 05:09 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,986,475 times
Quote:
The reason to stock up now, is that you don't want to have to go out, so that you won't get the virus and bring it home.
Also so that if you do get sick you can stay home and not risk infecting others with whatever crud you've caught (be it COVID-19 or something else).

Old 02-29-2020, 11:02 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,916,596 times
This article really ticked me off.http://https://thehill.com/changing-...ortage-hits-us

20 known drugs we take and they won't share which ones? I find this pretty irresponsible when in the same breath they say get ready.

Old 02-29-2020, 11:16 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,404,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
If I'm doing Costco run (90 miles each way) dog food has always been at the top of the list but I don't need any where near as much as I used to when I had 6 big dogs of my own an generally 4 or more in foster care. Back then I'd fill my Suburban with 30 of the 40 pound bags and went through it pretty fast. Fortunately I have a very big garage with room for plenty of storage racks and still fit the 'burb in too.

Brought home 6 bags plus several cases of wet food. They won't go hungry.

The only thing that I'm not super stoked on is ice cream and I'd need another whole freezer to store enough for my addiction. Even if I rationed it carefully so I guess I'll just have to learn to do without.
A good point -- to think of comfort items, too! Such as your ice cream, hope you do at least have some to see you through! During times of crisis and rationing, we will also need some comfort foods, such as ice cream, cookies, snacks, etc whatever floats your boat! Especially for small children, now is not the time to introduce new, strange foods, they would be under enough stress already!

Old 02-29-2020, 01:32 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,933,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
A good point -- to think of comfort items, too! Such as your ice cream, hope you do at least have some to see you through! During times of crisis and rationing, we will also need some comfort foods, such as ice cream, cookies, snacks, etc whatever floats your boat! Especially for small children, now is not the time to introduce new, strange foods, they would be under enough stress already!
That's nothing that a sack of flour (along with sugar, baking powder, vanilla, etc.) can't solve.

Old 02-29-2020, 02:42 PM

4,607 posts, read 3,300,134 times
So far it seems we're talking about a couple of weeks, maybe a month? But look at the folks in Wuhan City (sp) who have been virtually locked up in their houses for how long now? Weeks anyway. It's different planning when you're thinking 2 months or so as against a couple of weeks. Hard to plan for both, I'd think.

For the 2 week stay, comfort items and snacks to keep you in a good mood are a good idea. For 2 months, they'd just take up room that one would need for basics. Just keeping enough water around for 2 months boggles the mind.

Old 02-29-2020, 04:51 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,780,482 times
We're not going to lose public water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness