Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2020, 10:23 PM

5,829 posts, read 4,169,655 times

Advertisements

I'm a non-prepper, and I actually think this experience has shown me how absurd prepping is. This is a once-in-a-lifetime sort of virus, which is the very sort of thing preppers prep for. And guess what? Thus far, the system has mostly worked. Sure, there might be a temporary difficulty in getting some things like toilet paper or milk, but the supply chain is still very much in place.

No part of me thinks "Man, the effort and expense that preppers undergo to be prepared for this sort of thing would have been worth it."

I live in a city that has had coronavirus deaths, and I can still go to the store and buy groceries. I still have about a month's worth of food at my house right now. Your SHTF scenario is happening, and it's doing nothing but proving that preppers have been wasting their time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2020, 10:52 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post

They called us "Preppers" who looks stupid now?

The Cidiots fighting over TP, food and cleaning supplies. The same people calling us gun nuts, hoarders, rednecks. We are self sufficient and survive this stuff every time it has happened in history. Did they not pay attention in history class?

I have a message for you. Prepper to prepper.

I paid attention. I grew up in a homesteading prepper family lifestyle. Been a prepper all my life and I'm proud to be called a prepper. What is wrong with being called a prepper? Nothing. Most of my friends grew up the same way, homesteading and prepping. Their parents and both of my parents lived through the 1st and 2nd World Wars, mine were both in the military in WW2. We all learned things about homesteading and practical prepping and survivalism that most younger people today don't know now and are long forgotten. I learned a lot from them and still practice what I learned, as needed.

Now I have something to say that I think YOU need to know about. It's something very important I learned from my prepper parents, prepper friends and their prepper parents. I learned from them that preppers who gloat over the misfortunes of non-preppers and say they are stupid and call them made up names like "Cidiots" are preppers who are not to be trusted. Gloating preppers give other preppers a bad name, and gloaters make their own selves look stupid. Gloaters always end up making terrible mistakes.

The world is dealing with a crisis of a particular nature that has never happened in history, never had to be dealt with by the world's population before. So how can people learn from a history that never happened? This is a particularly bad time for you to be talking about other people not learning about a time in history that never happened the way it is now, or gloating about the misfortunes of other people who don't know what to do about something that has never happened before.

So don't be going and getting all smug and gloating about who looks stupid now, it doesn't look good on you.

Old 03-19-2020, 05:01 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,578,245 times
Quote:
The Cidiots fighting over TP, food and cleaning supplies. The same people calling us gun nuts, hoarders, rednecks. We are self sufficient and survive this stuff every time it has happened in history. Did they not pay attention in history class?
You give people too much credit. The vast majority can't see past their next new car or vacation or toy. Seriously planning for the future either in terms of supplies to survive an emergency or financially to pay for retirement or an unforseen medical emergency or job loss is beyond their capabilities.

People as a whole have no sense of history beyond their own lifetimes, and even then, as soon as the danger is past, they forget any lessons learned.

I moved to an area where I can be self sufficient, and many of my neighbors are as well. What I don't produce I can trade for with item I do create that they don't. It's a pretty insular community, but we take care of ourselves and each other.

The rest of the world can panic and fight over toilet paper all they want.
I'm tired of hearing how delusional I am for having some food and supplies put up for a rainy day, but then I'm supposed to help when there is an emergency? Think again.

Family and friends that need help fine. Everybody else can enjoy their grass soup and single ply toilet paper.

Last edited by MTSilvertip; 03-19-2020 at 05:17 AM..

Old 03-19-2020, 06:14 AM

7,253 posts, read 5,126,001 times
…. who looks stupid now?

Yea-- I sure don't need them to make me look stupid.

Old 03-19-2020, 06:44 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
Quote:
Those fighting over food and TP are idiots because these stores simply get restocked the following week. It's not a prepper issue, but an "idiot" issue.

But the real prepper issue in this event - all these forced closing of businesses will result in unemployment for many, which means no paycheck. Do you guys have a couple months of savings? Yeah you will be eating canned food, but no one needs to live in a bunker - how does that help when you can't pay your utility bills?

Old 03-19-2020, 06:55 AM

12,385 posts, read 8,146,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
I'm a non-prepper, and I actually think this experience has shown me how absurd prepping is. This is a once-in-a-lifetime sort of virus, which is the very sort of thing preppers prep for. And guess what? Thus far, the system has mostly worked. Sure, there might be a temporary difficulty in getting some things like toilet paper or milk, but the supply chain is still very much in place.

No part of me thinks "Man, the effort and expense that preppers undergo to be prepared for this sort of thing would have been worth it."

I live in a city that has had coronavirus deaths, and I can still go to the store and buy groceries. I still have about a month's worth of food at my house right now. Your SHTF scenario is happening, and it's doing nothing but proving that preppers have been wasting their time.
I did have my riot/earthquake kit in place. What has surprised me is that eggs and bread are not back in quantities, or being snatched by late to the game peppers so that stock is not being replenished as they are consumed. The markets are still doing their own baking and deli cooking so they are rolling. It Must be since my work schedule is during the emergency limited market hours I just can't get there in time as I pick over the daily store carcass.

All ready cold and flu medications and meat is back in the markets as the late preppers have filed their freezers and medicine cabinets over the past week but paper goods and cleaning supplies have not caught up.

Old 03-19-2020, 06:57 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,241,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
I did have my riot/earthquake kit in place. What has surprised me is that eggs and bread are not back in quantities, or being snatched by late to the game peppers so that stock is not being replenished as they are consumed. The markets are still doing their own baking and deli cooking so they are rolling. It Must be since my work schedule is during the emergency limited market hours I just can't get there in time as I pick over the daily store carcass.

All ready cold and flu medications and meat is back in the markets as the late preppers have filed their freezers and medicine cabinets over the past week but paper goods and cleaning supplies have not caught up.
I’ve got meat stocked in my freezer as well as stuff to make bread, but am still buying fresh for now if I can get it.

I got bread yesterday as well as milk and eggs, but at least there are quantity limits being put in place now which will help.

Old 03-19-2020, 07:04 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,567,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Those fighting over food and TP are idiots because these stores simply get restocked the following week. It's not a prepper issue, but an "idiot" issue.

But the real prepper issue in this event - all these forced closing of businesses will result in unemployment for many, which means no paycheck. Do you guys have a couple months of savings? Yeah you will be eating canned food, but no one needs to live in a bunker - how does that help when you can't pay your utility bills?
I was thinking the same thing. But Preppers think of everything right? Including months of supplemental income if they loose their job? Like cash and not investments which are useless right now? Or have Preppers prepped for a Walking Dead barter and trade scenario only?

Old 03-19-2020, 07:11 AM

50,262 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I have a message for you. Prepper to prepper.

I paid attention. I grew up in a homesteading prepper family lifestyle. Been a prepper all my life and I'm proud to be called a prepper. What is wrong with being called a prepper? Nothing. Most of my friends grew up the same way, homesteading and prepping. Their parents and both of my parents lived through the 1st and 2nd World Wars, mine were both in the military in WW2. We all learned things about homesteading and practical prepping and survivalism that most younger people today don't know now and are long forgotten. I learned a lot from them and still practice what I learned, as needed.

Now I have something to say that I think YOU need to know about. It's something very important I learned from my prepper parents, prepper friends and their prepper parents. I learned from them that preppers who gloat over the misfortunes of non-preppers and say they are stupid and call them made up names like "Cidiots" are preppers who are not to be trusted. Gloating preppers give other preppers a bad name, and gloaters make their own selves look stupid. Gloaters always end up making terrible mistakes.

The world is dealing with a crisis of a particular nature that has never happened in history, never had to be dealt with by the world's population before. So how can people learn from a history that never happened? This is a particularly bad time for you to be talking about other people not learning about a time in history that never happened the way it is now, or gloating about the misfortunes of other people who don't know what to do about something that has never happened before.

So don't be going and getting all smug and gloating about who looks stupid now, it doesn't look good on you.

Now now, this is mostly a jab at the dozen or so people harassing gun owners on this site. But yes, this has happened a couple of times since 1900 and it seems our indoctrination stations (public schools) don't like to teach it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post

Why wouldn't people have some type of savings? Isn't that part of prepping? We haven't even reached stage 3 or 4 yet but if that happens I'm towing the trailer to the sticks along with my buddies.

Old 03-19-2020, 07:12 AM

5,479 posts, read 2,119,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
I was thinking the same thing. But Preppers think of everything right? Including months of supplemental income if they loose their job? Like cash and not investments which are useless right now? Or have Preppers prepped for a Walking Dead barter and trade scenario only?
How do you LOOSE a job?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness