Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2020, 10:12 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,252,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldcitizen10 View Post
It's nice to have a spring on the property where one lives, in case there's no electric and no gasoline or propane to power the well pump. I've been really freaked out at living in a place with no surface water access at all and deep water table. I guess one can always haul water from somewhere...
Good point about a spring. In a REALLY bad situation I have a couple of creeks and ponds near my house, and have a Katadyn pocket microfilter which is top end and handles a quart a minute. Or I can do rain capture and filter that.

And I have some Aquamira drops as well.

Preparing is about having several options - from convenience to basic survival.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2020, 10:19 AM

228 posts, read 161,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Good point about a spring. In a REALLY bad situation I have a couple of creeks and ponds near my house, and have a Katadyn pocket microfilter which is top end and handles a quart a minute. Or I can do rain capture and filter that.

And I have some Aquamira drops as well.

Preparing is about having several options - from convenience to basic survival.

Yes, rain capture where it rains (and where the state allows to capture which is not CO)...some states would be out of that option, and this was one of the things that freaked me about about moving there.

Aquamira...or, alternatively, drops of simple pharmaceutical iodine or a bit of chlorox can do the job, or boiling. I always have a backpacking microfilter/pump in my car trunk but they can break down with heavy use, so more of a last resort option.

Old 03-30-2020, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Yes, rain capture where it rains (and where the state allows to capture)...some states would be out of that option, and this was one of the things that freaked me about about moving there.

Aquamira...or, alternatively, drops of simple iodine or a bit of chlorox can do the job, or boiling. I have a backpacking microfilter but they can break down easily with heavy use, so more of a last resort option.
Agreed with regards to the filter. The one I have is a beast though - solid aluminum (no plastic) and a washable ceramic filter. As long as it doesn’t freeze with water in it that filter is good for 10,000+ gallons.

After going through a couple of $50-70 backpacking filters I spent something like $250 on this about a decade ago and never plan to have to buy again. But...I probably should get a spare ceramic, just in case...but I do have lifestraws.

Old 03-30-2020, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Agreed with regards to the filter. The one I have is a beast though - solid aluminum (no plastic) and a washable ceramic filter. As long as it doesn’t freeze with water in it that filter is good for. 50,000 liters.

After going through a couple of $50-70 backpacking filters I spent something like $250 on this about a decade ago and never plan to have to buy again. But...I probably should get a spare ceramic, just in case...but I do have lifestraws.

I see, good option, I should look into this type of filter... I'm in the middle of relocation after long period of travel so had no option to store heavier/bulkier items such as nice stationary filter system either.

Old 03-30-2020, 10:41 AM

Quote:
I see, good option, I should look into this type of filter... I'm in the middle of relocation after long period of travel so had no option to store heavier/bulkier items such as nice stationary filter system either.
It’s expensive though - probably $300+ now. And a bit heavy for backpacking (2 lbs). But if you treat it well it will last a long time. It comes with a 20 year guarantee.

Old 03-30-2020, 11:19 AM

Quote:
It’s expensive though - probably $300+ now. And a bit heavy for backpacking (2 lbs). But if you treat it well it will last a long time. It comes with a 20 year guarantee.

My understanding was that long-lasting filters are going to cost about that much.

Old 03-30-2020, 11:23 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
The Cidiots fighting over TP, food and cleaning supplies. The same people calling us gun nuts, hoarders, rednecks. We are self sufficient and survive this stuff every time it has happened in history. Did they not pay attention in history class?
Hey, I'm all for prepping and surely there are some people out there that have learned a hard lesson from this.

This isn't really even a bad situation in the scope of things like meteor, X class flare etc. as I can still go to the grocery store and buy lots of things.

With that said, rather than giving the finger and a big told ya so, maybe now is a good time to educate those that are willing to listen and the others just continue to ignore.
(Imagine opening the mind of some people to gun ownership and how that may help in future legislative fights?)

On the bright side, if people were talking smack about preppers before, you can bet they'll be keeping their pie holes shut for a generation or more after this.

Old 03-30-2020, 11:50 AM

5,479 posts, read 2,121,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
There are no "severe shortages" anywhere in the U.S.

I'm not gloating, I'm making the point that this is the once-in-a-century crisis preppers supposedly are ready for, yet there's absolutely no point to prepping, even right now. If you want 10 years of TP, go for it; the rest of us will just go to Target when needed.
Why must you project onto people the whole doomsday 10 year crap?

Even FEMA suggests having anywhere from 72-two weeks of necessities in case of storms, outages or other interruptions.

So supply chains aren't broken...tell that to the fools who DON'T prep and rushed out and did panic hoarding! That wasn't the preppers!

Guess what? The preppers stayed home and laughed at that mess!

Old 03-30-2020, 01:14 PM

355 posts, read 226,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
Of course, we have ammo too, just in case.
I don't think I need to start shooting deer or because of the Coronavirus. Yes, the price of milk may go up, but that's about it.

Old 03-30-2020, 01:22 PM

4,021 posts, read 1,799,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
I'm making the point that this is the once-in-a-century crisis preppers supposedly are ready for
No. This. Is. Not.

Not even close. Are you reading any of the replies or do you just post and pay no attention....?

I'll say it again, you pay attention and when you go back to Middle School in the fall, you can tell your classmates.

The 'once in a century' crisis (real) preppers are preparing for includes;
1) No electricity
2) No water
3) No banks or stores open
4) Massive looting and rioting

Why do you frequent this forum if you are not a prepper, or if you are that ignorant of what it means to prep?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness