Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2020, 11:56 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
We are barely into this thing. There is already talks of laying off hundreds of thousands of people.

I am a hunter. Nothing I've done has been a waste of time since I use the food/guns/ammo/water etc ALL the time, at least 3 months of the year. The oldest food gets ate first.

We are already seeing people that have specialty medical equipment that needs bottled water and they can't find any.

This thing is just getting rolling.....
There definitely will be disruptions, but it's all relative. You might be prepped at a 10 out of 10, and I'm at a 5 out of 10. But 99% of the people are probably at a 1-2.

If society totally breaks down and it's Armageddon there's not much I can realistically do.

I'm re-reading One Second After, as it seems rather apt at the moment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2020, 02:11 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,120,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Purlin View Post

I fail to see the need to buy 600 cans of beans. Ever.
...And I fail to understand why you use stuff from your imagination as fact!

Having insurance is prepping.
Having a fire extinguisher and smoke detectors is prepping.
Having cash on you all the time is prepping.
Having AAA is prepping.
Having an extra can of gas is prepping.
Having more than a few weeks worth of supplies of any kind is prepping.
Having an extra credit card in your car is prepping.
Having 3-6 months of essential bill money in the bank is prepping.

Last edited by USMC1984; 03-19-2020 at 02:40 PM..

Old 03-19-2020, 02:30 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
The Cidiots fighting over TP, food and cleaning supplies. The same people calling us gun nuts, hoarders, rednecks. We are self sufficient and survive this stuff every time it has happened in history. Did they not pay attention in history class?
My wife used to shake her head when I walked in with a case of MREs or cases of water or extra food ammo etc. she recently looked at me and she didn’t have to say anything.
As far as helping. I’ll help my neighbors friends and family. That’s pretty much it. I can’t go crazy helping everyone.

AFAIK you’re only self sufficient until you run out. And when everyone is starving and you’re the only one not losing weight....you’re gonna get visitors.

What I hope is that we as a world and a nation and as a person we learn from this...that’s great....but I doubt it. As soon as this is over we will go right back to being how we were. If the world craps the bed some people’s apocalypse fantasy will come true. Look at the argument the disbelief the scoffing going on here.

Old 03-19-2020, 03:16 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
My wife used to shake her head when I walked in with a case of MREs or cases of water or extra food ammo etc. she recently looked at me and she didn’t have to say anything.
As far as helping. I’ll help my neighbors friends and family. That’s pretty much it. I can’t go crazy helping everyone.

AFAIK you’re only self sufficient until you run out. And when everyone is starving and you’re the only one not losing weight....you’re gonna get visitors.

What I hope is that we as a world and a nation and as a person we learn from this...that’s great....but I doubt it. As soon as this is over we will go right back to being how we were. If the world craps the bed some people’s apocalypse fantasy will come true. Look at the argument the disbelief the scoffing going on here.
Look at the idiot Spring Break kids on the beach. There’s our future.

Old 03-19-2020, 05:40 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
The Cidiots fighting over TP, food and cleaning supplies. The same people calling us gun nuts, hoarders, rednecks. We are self sufficient and survive this stuff every time it has happened in history. Did they not pay attention in history class?
If you are so confident in what you're doing why do you have the need to belittle others and call them juvenile names? So far I have neither seen nor heard any reports of people starving or perishing through exposure due to the spread of the coronavirus or at the hands of roaming pillagers. I expect that to continue. The stories of people fighting over toilet paper or anything else, while interesting anecdotally in their rarity, are hardly representative of anything. The supply chain is intact as is our utility infrastructure, your self-congratulatory outlook notwithstanding.

I expect I am older than you and have also "survive(d) this stuff every time it has happened" with nothing more than bringing in a bit of drinking water when a hurricane or blizzard are forecast while living with only well water and no generator. History of the dark ages bears little reference to today's world.

The biggest concern for most people today may be the loss of social interaction but I don't expect that to be even a small concern for a person whose identity is angry and spirit combative.

Old 03-19-2020, 05:52 PM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
There definitely will be disruptions, but it's all relative. You might be prepped at a 10 out of 10, and I'm at a 5 out of 10. But 99% of the people are probably at a 1-2.

If society totally breaks down and it's Armageddon there's not much I can realistically do.

I'm re-reading One Second After, as it seems rather apt at the moment.
During that 32 hour power outage we were just starting to see the behavior of savages. People leaving grocery stores getting strong armed. People stealing gas. That was after 24 hours.

Old 03-19-2020, 06:07 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
I think it was about December 15 that China reported that an unknown disease had killed 100 people near a fish market in Wuhan. A month later they were locking down the whole province. Anybody who wasn't doing final prep instead of watching the Superbowl is a moron. The US just passed 100 deaths a couple days ago. Figure it will be the middle of April before the corpses start piling up in the US.

The US economy is going down like the Titanic too. No restaurants. No movie theaters. No concerts. No sporting events. No sweat shops All US car factories are closed but Tesla, and Tesla is only open because they build cars with robots. March unemployment claims just jumped in my state by 2200% this week.

No matter how much money the feds stuff into the stock market, you can't have an economy without goods and services. The achilles heel of Just In Time manufacturing is that there is no inventory. Shut down one link in the chain and it all goes down.

Disease is not the only thing we have to prep for.

Old 03-19-2020, 06:12 PM

Quote:
We are barely into this thing. There is already talks of laying off hundreds of thousands of people.
Must be a small town. Colorado closed all its ski resorts. A friend who lives there says they have 200,000 new unemployment claims.

OTOH, you can probably get a job riding night guard over cattle herds, shooting rustlers. People might go back to thinking horse meat tastes pretty good. You could find it in the supermarket meat case 50 years ago.

Old 03-19-2020, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Purlin View Post
I'm not a prepper, and I haven't any difficulty getting anything that I need. The supply chain hasn't failed me at all.

I fail to see the need to buy 600 cans of beans. Ever.
You are well prepared for yesterday. Come back in the middle of May and let us know how that worked out for you.

Old 03-19-2020, 08:35 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Look at the idiot Spring Break kids on the beach. There’s our future.
Yeah i couldn’t believe the absolute idiocy. And I heard there is a meme now called boomer remover. Goes to show you how some of these millenials think. Sounds like we as a nation raised a bunch of sociopaths
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness