Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2020, 09:06 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,119,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I spent several years working with Colonial artisans since I lived and worked as a caretaker of a Colonial Plantation when I was in my 20s. I learned how to clean, card, spin, and weave mostly wool. Cotton is a lot harder but I could do it. Limited experience with flax. Able to make candles - that’s an easy one. Learned the art of making bread over a fire. Kind of decent at soap but not my best. Decent but not superb woodworking skills. I’m a pretty good shot and better at fishing. Plus, the regular living in the country stuff like gardening, canning, and processing chickens (yuck but can do it).

As a fellow Marine, love this and totally agree,
Semper Fi!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2020, 09:07 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,119,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
Sure, I'd be happy to explain. I work in the computer fixing department. I have an expert knowledge of taking the computer out of the box and calling the 800 number on the installation sheet and have them walk me through setting it up and turning it on. Then I masterfully contact the cable company to help guide me to configurate the computer to get it on the innernet. I know my computer stuff. So if you got a computer problem I'm your man
I'm guessing you missed the whole DEPT/DEPTH thing?

Old 03-21-2020, 09:34 PM

90 posts, read 84,811 times
Pretty good at making craft beer, and I have hundreds of pounds of grains along with lots of frozen hops, in Mylar sealed bags along with dried yeast to get started. Also can wash yeast to produce more, and grow hops. So good to go on the beverage front.

Old 03-21-2020, 09:48 PM

2,605 posts, read 3,402,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
I'm guessing you missed the whole DEPT/DEPTH thing?
No. I didn't. I didn't feel like explaining myself to you so I gave you a long winded nonsensical answer.

Old 03-21-2020, 10:20 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,678,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooManyChoices View Post
Pretty good at making craft beer, and I have hundreds of pounds of grains along with lots of frozen hops, in Mylar sealed bags along with dried yeast to get started. Also can wash yeast to produce more, and grow hops. So good to go on the beverage front.
I'm guessing this will be invaluable in the post-apocalyptic world

Old 03-22-2020, 03:50 AM

4,939 posts, read 3,315,369 times
There is a thread on CD where folks posted their skills. If someone can find it, was years ago. I do have several skills but due to allover OA osteoarthritis I can not do much anymore. Like hand sewing a pillowcase used to take me 22 minutes now is 1 afternoon.
I can cook and bake from scratch. But kneading dough by hand is now impossible task.
I make some home remedies myself, know to make cologne, herb mixes.

Old 03-22-2020, 02:40 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooManyChoices View Post
I can serve as a beverage tester.

Old 03-22-2020, 03:18 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,904,348 times
"kneading dough by hand is now impossible task."

Then let the yeast do the work for you:

https://www.quick-german-recipes.com...ad-recipe.html

Ingredients:

3 cups all-purpose flour or bread flour
1½ tsp active dry yeast
1½ cups warm water
1 tsp salt
extra flour for dusting

Instructions:

Mix the first four ingredients together in a large bowl with a wooden spoon or use your hands. The dough will be sticky and look a mess!

Cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap. Let the bowl sit on the counter (at room temperature) for at least 12 hours and up to 18 hours. The dough will rise and the top will be bubbly and sticky.

Cut a piece of parchment paper to fit inside of dutch oven. Place paper on counter and sprinkle lightly with flour.

Lightly sprinkle flour on counter. Gently put the dough on it. Sprinkle a bit of flour on top and fold the dough over on itself twice, shaping it into an elongated ball.

Gently place onto parchment paper. Cover with a large bowl that doesn't touch the dough

Preheat the oven to 450°F and put your Dutch oven into the oven to heat for about 30 minutes.

Remove preheated dutch oven and, using oven mitts (see note above), gently lift parchment paper with dough into it and cover with lid. Be careful ... use oven mitts! Return to oven.

Bake at 450° F for 30 minutes. Remove lid and continue baking for another 15 minutes or until bread is golden brown.

Remove to a rack and let cool for about 1 hour before slicing.

Old 03-22-2020, 03:43 PM

1,216 posts, read 3,029,527 times
Default Jill of all trades.....master of none

Once when I was 17 I was a summer camp counselor at the YMCA and during orientation I was the only one who got a bullseye at the archery range. Of course it was not a moving target, but it's like riding a bicycle, right????

Anyway, we have 6 kids and 13 granchildren so at holidays, I can plan and execute a meal for 20 people and fit them all in my 500 sq ft living/dining room area without any casualties!!!!!

I also am an avid Youtuber so I have done auto repair, DIY home renovations, appliance repair.....etc.

And don't get me started on budgeting our finances and being a top super saver (some may say a scrooge, I say thrifty).

Old 03-22-2020, 07:52 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
I can run a disaster recovery center like nobody's business.

But my true talent is sarcasm. That's like a superpower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness