Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2020, 04:18 AM

305 posts, read 241,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
Less than 1% of people in the country live on farms. That's not a lot of people. That said, fences to keep animals in makes complete sense. To keep people out is being paranoid.

If someone wants to live in the middle of nowhere (and be afraid enough that they sit around with a gun in case they are attacked), that's their choice. It seems like it would make more sense to move closer to civilization where you have people around that keeps you safe without the need for paranoia.

Self sufficiency is often directly at odds with being the most prepared for disasters (I understand you will disagree strongly on that). The best preparation for a disaster is being part of a strong community. If someone wants to live on their own because they enjoy it, go right ahead, but that person IS choosing to be less prepared for disaster scenarios than a person living in a community.

Actually we have a very strong community here in the country. I know all my neighbors, they all feel the same way I do. We all keep an eye out for each other. We all will take business into our own hands if need be. Believe me, we will be alive for a lot longer than the city dwellers. That is for sure.

Why do you think country folk do not have community? We have the same community everyone else does in the city there is just less of us. There is no sugar coating out here in the sticks, if someone thinks you are a jerk they tell you. I am good with that. Believe it or not I have been called a jerk at times. So I work on that. So we actually know who the real crazy people are and when we need to take action. Unlike the city dwellers.

Well I am still keeping my gates locked for now, my outdoor land manager Bruno (125# rottweiler) says it is not time to let our guard down. So Bruno and his rag tag pack of brothers in arms will keep the night patrol going for now. Good job boys. He is the manager so...................
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2020, 04:27 AM

305 posts, read 241,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
What really concerns me about your post is that if the current situation has evoked such a knee jerk reaction from you, how will you ever survive when when REAL CHAOS envelops this country? You can’t possibly have enough firepower to hold off what’s coming.

The only thing I am doing differently now than before this virus hit is I locked my gates and I am paying closer attention to detail. Oh yeah there are the night patrols with Bruno and his rag tag band of brothers.(my personal dog pack) As long as you observe the posted signs about no trespassing the dogs will leave you alone. However the dogs are territorial (good boy) so..... But other than that is business as usual out here in the sticks. You sound like the kind of person that should stay in the city.

Old 03-29-2020, 10:23 AM

5,985 posts, read 2,917,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClubMike View Post
Actually we have a very strong community here in the country. I know all my neighbors, they all feel the same way I do. We all keep an eye out for each other. We all will take business into our own hands if need be. Believe me, we will be alive for a lot longer than the city dwellers. That is for sure.

Why do you think country folk do not have community? We have the same community everyone else does in the city there is just less of us. There is no sugar coating out here in the sticks, if someone thinks you are a jerk they tell you. I am good with that. Believe it or not I have been called a jerk at times. So I work on that. So we actually know who the real crazy people are and when we need to take action. Unlike the city dwellers.

Well I am still keeping my gates locked for now, my outdoor land manager Bruno (125# rottweiler) says it is not time to let our guard down. So Bruno and his rag tag pack of brothers in arms will keep the night patrol going for now. Good job boys. He is the manager so...................
I never said all people in the country don't have a sense of community. I do think if someone's initial reaction is to bunker down with a loaded weapon, they are one of the people who might do something stupid and accidentally shoot someone in a crisis. Again, if you're afraid enough that you feel you even need to be close to a loaded weapon right now, I would call you either paranoid, or living far enough out on your own that you don't have a good enough community for support. And yes, I know you'll disagree on this.

Out of curiosity, do you think people in cities don't watch their backs? I've lived in a town of 300 people in Wyoming, in the suburbs, and for the last several years, in a major city. From my personal experience I am much safer in a more populated area than I am in the middle of nowhere. Having more eyes collectively watching what everyone is doing is a very powerful tool for public safety. Until society degrades to the point there are widespread infrastructure failures (power, water, internet, supply chains, etc., which I don't see any chance of happening with this covid19 crisis), more populated areas will be safer.

Your attitude is honestly concerning. You keep talking about 'taking matters into your own hands'. I've met a lot of people with that kind of mindset, and they honestly make things worse. Tone down the "I'm ready to shoot anyone who is a threat" mindset and try to help people. Society isn't falling apart right now. Even the least prepared person is getting by. There's not a higher risk of being shot, being robbed, being attacked, etc. Now is a time to help each other, not bunker down with a gun. That's the point here.

Last edited by Lekrii; 03-29-2020 at 10:39 AM..

Old 03-29-2020, 02:15 PM

2,080 posts, read 3,922,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClubMike View Post
So I was thinking maybe it is Katy bar the door time. The flu can be very serious to us older folks. I have locked my gates to the farm. I have posted No Trespassing signs. I do live out in the country so it is a good place to make a stand. Lots of clean fresh air. I have done a lot of work in the gardens already, who knows how bad this pandemic will get. The pantry is fully stocked, the powder is high and dry.

The reaction to the pandemic looks like it may be just as destructive as getting the flu itself. In my life I have never seen entire states shut down. I do not agree with that. Sounds like government over-reach to me. I am so glad I live in a good state for firearms, God bless Missouri.

So in my humble opinion, yes it is KATY BAR THE DOOR TIME. Release the hounds, shoot all trespassers, all hands on deck. We will be in a better place come fall time, until then keep your head down and your eyes open. This is real folks, very real.

I am ready.
Well, this is one of the most psychotic things I’ve ever read. So you’ll shoot someone trying to find help for their family? Just because you have a long driveway?? You sound more like a maniac Looking for a reason to kill someone.

Old 03-29-2020, 04:46 PM

228 posts, read 161,911 times
Shoot all trespassers?

And then contract coronavirus in jail?

Interesting way to go.

Old 03-29-2020, 04:55 PM

228 posts, read 161,911 times
Quote:
Out of curiosity, do you think people in cities don't watch their backs? I've lived in a town of 300 people in Wyoming, in the suburbs, and for the last several years, in a major city. From my personal experience I am much safer in a more populated area than I am in the middle of nowhere. Having more eyes collectively watching what everyone is doing is a very powerful tool for public safety. Until society degrades to the point there are widespread infrastructure failures (power, water, internet, supply chains, etc., which I don't see any chance of happening with this covid19 crisis), more populated areas will be safer.

You have a very good point. Moreover, I can assure that even if it comes to the point when infrastructure fails, the cities will be mostly safer than out in the sticks, exactly because isolated home owners will not be able to defend themselves against organized gangs of intruders that would operate at that point. Safety will be in numbers.

Also, you will need to fear your neighbor in this kind of collapse scenario.
Previously law abiding people, upstanding citizens - after a while of serious deprivation, some of them will become criminals or just someone acting inhuman and irrational, brutal, will turn you in to the criminals, also.

I had watched it all unfold overseas long time ago...
Remember, you can not trust anyone in the real collapse scenario, even childhood friends and relatives change into something you never seen or could imagine, only can trust yourself.

But yes, safety in numbers, in sheer numbers. It's harder to terrorize a larger community. Law enforcement themselves may become one with criminals, if they're desperate to survive, one has to remember that.

If one is really remote, such as has only a seasonal route to them, like river only or summer-only bad dirt road, and can be fully self-sufficient for years, that's the only scenario where living isolated would be beneficial but this is extreme and rare case.

Last edited by worldcitizen10; 03-29-2020 at 05:05 PM..

Old 03-29-2020, 05:11 PM

4,021 posts, read 1,798,312 times
Quote:
Being that remote, it would make sense you need to be more self-sufficient. That being said, being that remote makes you an incredible minority compared to most. I would suggest moving out of the country and closer to a city, if you want to feel safer. We don't see trespassers/people randomly vandalizing property as you describe (living in a society has a LOT of survival benefits). I've never seen anyone fight over toilet paper. The only people doing that are bored upper middle class suburbanites. I'll stay in town though, where we don't have to worry about someone overly trigger happy/paranoid shooting on sight over a misunderstanding. Again, this global crisis has shown bunkering down simply is not needed for survival. Isn't that a good thing, that we can survive as a society through something like this?

A community is the most powerful tool we have in survival situations. Self-sufficiency isn't incredibly efficient.

Reality does not align with anyone who feels self-sufficiency is a necessity for a disaster like we are seeing now. Grocery stores are still stocked, supply chains were strained, but never fell apart. This pandemic has showed us distinctly that society can continue to function in a global crisis. The best way to be prepared for a disaster the opposite of self-sufficiency. Being prepared in the modern world means ensuring supply chains are running, ensuring you have good networks of people to rely on, and ensuring there are contingencies to keep society moving forward.

Don't be the person sitting there alone on a pile of supplies looking to shoot on sight when the rest of the world is working together as a society to get through a disaster. Reality is you can still walk into any grocery store on a weekly basis and leave with supplies to get through the next week.
You have no clue what you're talking about as it it relates to real preparedness. You should start a new sub-forum:
Being kinda prepared while being really nice to people

Old 03-29-2020, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
What really concerns me about your post is that if the current situation has evoked such a knee jerk reaction from you, how will you ever survive when when REAL CHAOS envelops this country? You can’t possibly have enough firepower to hold off what’s coming.
I'm betting he does. Most people like him have a network of good ole boys...(family/friends/like minded neighbors) not too far away, and a plan for exigencies......Not enough to take on a Company of National Guard, but plenty for the random biker gang, roving hoodlums from town, or illegals passing through.
Ask me how I know.....

Old 03-29-2020, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Less than 1% of people in the country live on farms
Once again, you completely miss the point......20% of the US is considered 'Rural' That's a lot of people.....
And you do not have to live on a Farm to have barb wire around your property.....

Old 03-29-2020, 06:07 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,917,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
Once again, you completely miss the point......20% of the US is considered 'Rural' That's a lot of people.....
And you do not have to live on a Farm to have barb wire around your property.....
Having barbed wire around property for self defense is paranoid (and pointless). To keep livestock in, it makes complete sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
You have no clue what you're talking about as it it relates to real preparedness. You should start a new sub-forum:
Being kinda prepared while being really nice to people
I am prepared for a realistic scenarios. A complete collapse of civilization is not realistic at the moment. Higher unemployment leading to a restructuring of the workforce and needing to find ways to creatively supplement the supply chain for medical goods is realistic right now. I have never talked about prepping for anything other than realistic scenarios.

But, are you honestly claiming that communities and social groups are not valuable in survival situations? Adding value to a community and surviving as collective groups is how humans have operated since we evolved. My goal is to keep society running, and to adjust supply chains as quickly and efficiently as possible. My goal isn't to bunker down and wait it out solo. If these forums were broken into one for 'self-sufficiency' and another for 'preparedness', I'd never once glance at the 'self-sufficiency' forum. Being the most prepared for disasters is a social exercise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness