Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2020, 07:52 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,654,259 times

Advertisements

Ignorance of the law does not absolve one of it.

Emphasis added in areas deemed appropriate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2020, 08:09 AM

2,512 posts, read 3,057,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
I see you have not been paying attention. I actually announced my 'retirement' from this sub- forum a couple of years back. I had a lot of projects to complete, and got right to work on them. Once in awhile I stop in to read, don't respond much, but for sure I do not dominate anything here.

Any lurkers who give up on CD don't do so because of me. If they are so fearful of posting that they give up, perhaps they should look for a different forum. Any board on CD will have regulars and cliques - just look around. There are places here than I will not tread!

I have not appointed myself as anything. But maybe I should be flattered! If I have been gone this long and still seem a fixture in your mind, could I be a CD legend?? Haha, that's funny!

Well hush ma mouth and call me Shirley.......

You are correct, you haven't posted since 2016!! Where does the time go?

Apologies for that. You did post great experience and advice back in the day (although I DO remember more than one of these "this forum is not for" type posts from you). Maybe that is what stuck out in my mind.

But yes, I would imagine you did more good than harm so you get a star on the SS and P Walk Of Fame...

Old 03-23-2020, 09:52 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClubMike View Post
So I was thinking maybe it is Katy bar the door time. The flu can be very serious to us older folks. I have locked my gates to the farm. I have posted No Trespassing signs. I do live out in the country so it is a good place to make a stand. Lots of clean fresh air. I have done a lot of work in the gardens already, who knows how bad this pandemic will get. The pantry is fully stocked, the powder is high and dry.

The reaction to the pandemic looks like it may be just as destructive as getting the flu itself. In my life I have never seen entire states shut down. I do not agree with that. Sounds like government over-reach to me. I am so glad I live in a good state for firearms, God bless Missouri.

So in my humble opinion, yes it is KATY BAR THE DOOR TIME. Release the hounds, shoot all trespassers, all hands on deck. We will be in a better place come fall time, until then keep your head down and your eyes open. This is real folks, very real.

I am ready.
Yikes...and this thinking is why we make fun of preppers....

EDIT: OK I see this was moved from another forum so hopefully it's not representative of the community.
ClubMike, I predict your next "club" will be your local graybar hotel with your unique concept of legal self-defense.

Old 03-23-2020, 10:03 AM

5,985 posts, read 2,916,627 times
Some of the people who immediately get excited at the thought of shooting an intruder often scare me more than the idea of an actual intruder.

The DOW is still over 2x what it was in 2009 (adjusting for inflation), yes the economy is shrinking, but we have a long way to go before we need to worry about looting.

Old 03-23-2020, 11:38 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,678,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClubMike View Post
So I was thinking maybe it is Katy bar the door time. The flu can be very serious to us older folks. I have locked my gates to the farm. I have posted No Trespassing signs. I do live out in the country so it is a good place to make a stand. Lots of clean fresh air. I have done a lot of work in the gardens already, who knows how bad this pandemic will get. The pantry is fully stocked, the powder is high and dry.

The reaction to the pandemic looks like it may be just as destructive as getting the flu itself. In my life I have never seen entire states shut down. I do not agree with that. Sounds like government over-reach to me. I am so glad I live in a good state for firearms, God bless Missouri.

So in my humble opinion, yes it is KATY BAR THE DOOR TIME. Release the hounds, shoot all trespassers, all hands on deck. We will be in a better place come fall time, until then keep your head down and your eyes open. This is real folks, very real.

I am ready.
The shutdowns are temporary, designed to "flatten the curve" and keep cases from overrunning medical facilities. That took about 2 months in China. Americans have less discipline, so it will probably take twice that here. Things will probably be looking up by the 4th of July, with hospitals full of the sick and dying but enough beds and ventilators to handle the load. Cases are tripling every two days at the moment, so it's about to get badly out of hand.

Don't be too concerned about being "elderly." If you can get an ICU bed, you have a good chance of survival. If you catch it now, they will give the ventilator to a 40-year-old with a better chance of survival. If you can duck the bug for 4 months, you will probably be OK.

Most people here can hunker for 4 months without too much difficulty. Read this for a fact-based update on what is happening in the city. One person in ten in the NYC suburbs is testing positive, and cases are tripling every two days. Mother Nature just lobbed a grenade. Duck.

https://www.caltech.edu/about/news/t...WJtSKaujjZcHvw

Old 03-23-2020, 11:38 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nalabama View Post
200 yards with a shotgun, 200 yards with a .38; just a friendly conversation if you both hold off a bit...
At that range you’re practically lobbing rounds at 45* angle

Old 03-23-2020, 01:30 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,241,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Most people here can hunker for 4 months without too much difficulty. Read this for a fact-based update on what is happening in the city. One person in ten in the NYC suburbs is testing positive, and cases are tripling every two days. Mother Nature just lobbed a grenade. Duck.
While not great for its residents, it’s actually good overall for the US that NYC and its suburbs are the epicenter.

It will get a huge amount of attention and much more focus than if it hit a rural or smaller state. Then, if other states apply some lockdown common sense it can be restricted mostly to NY and burn out elsewhere.

I can shelter in place for 2 weeks easily, a month without too much problem but if/when I need to get supplies it’s not a big deal for 2-3 months if needed.

Old 03-23-2020, 03:27 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,900,190 times
"we have a long way to go before we need to worry about looting"

The looting in Los Angeles happened because some cops were acquitted. In Louisiana it was because levies broke.

Old 03-23-2020, 03:41 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,916,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post

The looting in Los Angeles happened because some cops were acquitted. In Louisiana it was because levies broke.
And in this pandemic I see more people coming together to help each other than I do people panicking (other than buying too much toilet paper). It would be silly to even think you need more guns/ammo at this point, given the state of things in the US. Again, we have a long way to go before we need to worry about violence.

Most people are going out of their way to help others right now, a small few are hoarding guns and getting excited over the idea of shooting intruders, from what I've seen.

Old 03-23-2020, 03:45 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,296,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post

The looting in CA after the Rodney King verdicts was very localized to South Central Los Angeles, not wide spread at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness