Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2020, 08:59 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,875,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClubMike View Post
I am the OP wow, all I am doing is protecting my own. It is katy bar the door time, only family members and certain friends allowed near me now. A lot of the seniors that live around me are the same way, we stick together. We are not to worried about looting mobs out here, more like meth heads doing there normal stealing. Do you guys think criminals stop being criminals during an emergency? I think the criminals will double down.

So guys to each his own, I am not worried about protecting my property and family. Even the women in this house can shoot pretty dang good. I will keep a close eye on the outer edges of things because you never know what might come down the gravel road. Just remember some gravel roads are best left untraveled.

I did go to town for some supplies yesterday, it was not too bad. I got some bologna and some bullets. You can never have enough bologna and bullets.
The thing is your original post, and the title, was an overreaction even if you weren't totally serious. Yes it's time for social distancing, it's a time to be diligent about the course of events, it's always time to be aware of criminals. It's NOT time to "Release the hounds, shoot all trespassers, all hands on deck." That's an overreaction and gives the prepper community a bad name and feeds to the stereotype of some nutcase out in the woods ready to shoot strangers on site. It also feeds panic and fear. I know you posted a correction, but not many people read that in a thread that's so many pages long. They see the title, they read "shoot all trespassers", and you can guess what they think.

Sure protect your familly and property. But there are 230 million Americans going through this, we get through it best by cooperating and working together (to the extent that we can with social distancing) not by treating each other as enemies. The issue isn't roaming gangs right now, it isn't groceries either - it's hospital beds, it masks and respirators, it's jobs, it economic slowdown. Those can't be solved by bullets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2020, 09:44 AM

305 posts, read 241,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
The thing is your original post, and the title, was an overreaction even if you weren't totally serious. Yes it's time for social distancing, it's a time to be diligent about the course of events, it's always time to be aware of criminals. It's NOT time to "Release the hounds, shoot all trespassers, all hands on deck." That's an overreaction and gives the prepper community a bad name and feeds to the stereotype of some nutcase out in the woods ready to shoot strangers on site. It also feeds panic and fear. I know you posted a correction, but not many people read that in a thread that's so many pages long. They see the title, they read "shoot all trespassers", and you can guess what they think.

Sure protect your familly and property. But there are 230 million Americans going through this, we get through it best by cooperating and working together (to the extent that we can with social distancing) not by treating each other as enemies. The issue isn't roaming gangs right now, it isn't groceries either - it's hospital beds, it masks and respirators, it's jobs, it economic slowdown. Those can't be solved by bullets.

I disagree with you.

Old 03-24-2020, 10:04 AM

5,985 posts, read 2,914,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
You quoted ME in your post, not "the premise". Don't try to put words or anything else into my mouth.
I disagreed with the original post, and you responded to me. In any thread, the conversation is always in context of the original premise. That's how forums work.

Old 03-24-2020, 10:11 AM

25,680 posts, read 18,770,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
A lot of people own firearms -- myself included. Nothing about that implies shooting someone because they are standing on land you own.
It depends wholly upon the reason for trespass. If it is due to a mental/intellectual impediment, such trespasser shall likely be asked kindly to leave (assuming at least minimal spoken language aptitude) and given a lollipop. If it is due to a self-imposed reading comprehension problem, such trespasser will be asked in not so kindly a way to get the hell off the property--possibly involving some reading comprehension remedial education consisting of staring down the end of a muzzle. Finally, if dealing with deliberate jackass (metaphorically speaking, see footnote 1) or nefarious interloper, all bets are off. It's difficult, if not impossible, to educate a deliberate jackass or nefarious interloper. Eliminating such an individual from the gene pool may well be the only viable recourse.

footnote 1: if it's a real jackass (you know, an equus africanus asinus)... well, I would never shoot a real equus africanus asinus. At least not a healthy one.

Editor's addendum: the appearance of footnote 1 was primarily offered in order to comfort any Ivory Tower Intellectual who happens upon this post by some odd stroke of double-latte-sipping web-browsing-moment luck. Although not formatted in proper Ivory Tower APA or MLA format, the hope is that such inclusion might comfort said stray Ivory Tower Intellectual reader and make him, her, or it feel more at ease in a foreign, hostile, non-safe-space lair of butchers, meanies, and deplorables.

Old 03-24-2020, 02:14 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,792,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
The thing is your original post, and the title, was an overreaction even if you weren't totally serious.
Beating a dead horse is being cruel to everybody.

Old 03-24-2020, 06:10 PM

2,077 posts, read 2,015,976 times
Quote:
OP here, I take offense to having my post moved, this was advice for other retired folks so I posted it in the retirement forum. What a bunch of chicken livers, I may not shoot a trespasser if just walks on my property I may just fire a warning shot. I am a old retired person who is just taking care of his own. Just because you believe the nonsense on tv does not mean that I do. It could go either way at this point.

These are rough times folks you better be prepared to do what it takes to protect your own. All my neighbors feel the same way I do, I would not shoot my neighbor if he was on my property. But if I do not know you or better yet if my one of my many big scary dogs does not know you, well lets just say I will not have to shoot you as my dogs will be fighting over your behind for a snack. We are prepared to protect ourselves out here in the country. Maybe you city folk or pretend rural folk better just shelter in place and listen to the tv. Oh yeah and stay off my property.
LMAO you are the chicken liver . I thought preppers were braver than that . Born and raised on a large Texas ranch in 62 but a adaptable to anywhere now and this is just over the top drama here .

Old 03-24-2020, 11:03 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,498,663 times
Quote:

Court you have got to be kidding me, no-one is going to court around here in this neck of the woods, besides it is better to be judged by 12 then carried by 6. (or fed to the hogs)

You are right I would not shoot a trespasser for just trespassing. The trespasser would have to be threatening me. So I will keep a close eye on that. Things are different out here in the country it would be wise for you city folk to remember that.

So for all you folks that do not think its KATY BAR THE DOOR TIME, I feel sorry for you. Just keep watching the tv and believe the nightly news. I will just keep doing what I do. Oh yeah, stay off my property Good luck shooting someone who merely trespasses on ground. Let us know how that works out for you in court.

Quote:
I am the OP wow, all I am doing is protecting my own. It is katy bar the door time, only family members and certain friends allowed near me now. A lot of the seniors that live around me are the same way, we stick together. We are not to worried about looting mobs out here, more like meth heads doing there normal stealing. Do you guys think criminals stop being criminals during an emergency? I think the criminals will double down.

So guys to each his own, I am not worried about protecting my property and family. Even the women in this house can shoot pretty dang good. I will keep a close eye on the outer edges of things because you never know what might come down the gravel road. Just remember some gravel roads are best left untraveled.

I did go to town for some supplies yesterday, it was not too bad. I got some bologna and some bullets. You can never have enough bologna and bullets.
Nobody is saying not to protect yourself.The way you posted has a message of almost gleeful excitement of I want to pop some trespasser. You wanna lock yourself away for the duration fine. Go ahead. But saying you’re gonna shoot people and/or implying that they will feed them to hogs because we’re in the country and it would be wise for you city folk to know sounds pretty idiotic.

Old 03-25-2020, 01:10 AM

2,993 posts, read 4,300,500 times
Quote:
Just remember some gravel roads are best left untraveled.
Very true! With a locked gate and posted signs, there’s little to no excuse for “accidentally” trespassing on a secluded rural property. What are you trying to do, sell me Girl Scout cookies?

I don’t understand the hate you’re getting on this thread. I treat all unknown people on my private road as extremely suspicious at best and once you cross the private property line, you better have a damn good reason for doing so if I don’t know you. Anytime after dark especially.

It’s up to the “accidental” trespasser to make themselves clearly known from a far distance while approaching and for them to make it clear that they mean no harm, and they have about a half of a second to do so. It’s just common sense in rural areas.

Old 03-25-2020, 08:19 AM

16,266 posts, read 10,392,447 times
Quote:
I disagree with you.
I find it interesting to read that you are taking all of these precautions because you fear people will lose their mind and panic in a time of crisis as you speak of shooting trespassers and how it's Katy by the door time. Seems to me you are the one who is losing his mind and showing panic.

Look you are isolated, you have fences, No Trespassing signs and dogs. The chances of you getting this virus or someone trespassing on an isolated property with these protection is as close to zero as you can get. WTF are you worried about to the point where you would shoot a stranded motorist on site?

You totally give preppers a bad name with this position, you are the exact portrayal of the gun tote'n nut job that too may preppers are unfairly labeled as.

Old 03-25-2020, 08:33 AM

16,266 posts, read 10,392,447 times
Quote:
You are right I would not shoot a trespasser for just trespassing. The trespasser would have to be threatening me. So I will keep a close eye on that. Things are different out here in the country it would be wise for you city folk to remember that.

I found this buried in the middle of your thread. If you meant you would shoot a trespasser who was threatening you then you should have made that clear in your earlier posts instead of lecturing others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness