Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2020, 11:52 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,482,288 times

Advertisements

In Maine, we don't get large shipments anyway, maybe before hunting season. I left Tennessee last.month and did not notice any supply problems there, but that was a month ago. Had my son in law check the stores in Rhode Island....not good, but that state is a lost cause anyway.

Anybody here have a field report from other states, as to availability? Please give your state, or at least area of the country, what calibers are sold out or in short supply, any rationing going on, and note any price gouging. We are very low on 9mm here in the northeast, not even any bulk or reloads. And there have been sporadic price hikes. Also, firearms for sale pretty much wiped out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2020, 11:57 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
We mentioned it in the gun forum (in the hobby section) as well. Many of the internet ammo sight are sold out as well or have jacked up prices.

Yeah, one again the gun owning community is it's own worst enemy with panic buying and causing a self-inflicted issue. Many of us however have our own simple "prepper" credo - we stocked up when prices were cheap (i.e. after Trump got elected), or learned how to reload.

Why spiking now is hard to kind of figure out - you can't cure the virus by shooting it. I guess it's so people can protect the toilet paper supply. Just nonsense. No one needs anymore ammo then they already had before this virus.

Old 03-22-2020, 12:19 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,721,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
In Maine, we don't get large shipments anyway, maybe before hunting season. I left Tennessee last.month and did not notice any supply problems there, but that was a month ago. Had my son in law check the stores in Rhode Island....not good, but that state is a lost cause anyway.

Anybody here have a field report from other states, as to availability? Please give your state, or at least area of the country, what calibers are sold out or in short supply, any rationing going on, and note any price gouging. We are very low on 9mm here in the northeast, not even any bulk or reloads. And there have been sporadic price hikes. Also, firearms for sale pretty much wiped out.
I looked around at a few stores just to satisfy my curiosity. The local Cabelas, was about out of 223/556.They still had guns on the shelf though, Fleet Farms was about out as well, Same at Shields.... people are nuts. some some guys on armslist gouging people for ammo.

Old 03-22-2020, 01:10 PM

3,536 posts, read 2,855,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post

Not sure you will get many responses in this forum, most people here I'm sure had plenty of ammo long before anyone had ever heard of Wuhan,China.
Its peaked my curiosity though so monday night I'll try and remember to stop at the hardware store and see what they got left.
I'm also in Maine.

Old 03-22-2020, 02:31 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,573,379 times
I haven't been to any of the sporting goods stores since last November. The nearest one is 90 miles north of me. That one does have chicken and turkey chicks and is the closest place to get them. I don't like getting mail order chicks, had some bad experiences, so I was planning on going up to check those out so if I do I'll report what's going on there.

I reload so I have enough supplies on hand to keep going for a quite a while, and talking to friends around the state, nobodies said anything about any gun or ammo shortage here.

Old 03-22-2020, 03:37 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
I have enough brass, powder and bullets for over 5,000 rounds in various calibers.

Before this pandemic BS, I was running really low on H1000 and it was damn near impossible to find anywhere. As luck would have it, my hunting partner is friends with a guy that has like two pallets of H1000. He gave my two 8lb jugs- for free!

Old 03-24-2020, 08:00 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,893,246 times
https://www.foxla.com/news/la-county...ties-to-patrol

LA County Sheriff orders gun stores to close; adds 1,300 deputies to patrol

Old 03-24-2020, 08:24 PM

50,244 posts, read 46,997,454 times
The local stores out of the usual stuff. Just know a lot of these people until recently aren't gun owners. They are hoarding to resell. These types are retired and wait outside in lines until opening to clean em out then resell on CL. They try to ban it but it's easy to get around the filters.

Old 03-24-2020, 10:48 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Most of the gun stores in my area are cleaned out of guns and ammo. OC and Riverside

Old 03-25-2020, 04:53 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,792,964 times
Almost normal at our community’s oldest local shop today. Worst of the run appears over. It was amazing for a while. They still have lots of guns left, not sure that their stock of ammo is where they want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness