Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2020, 08:43 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,058,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
As for the rest of us, if you are thinking of a second home / BOL you might consider a location where you can either build several houses or bring in a couple of trailers and have a caretaker live there full time.
Or just spend some time in the community, get to know the locals, donate to the local causes/4-H/fire department, etc. Volunteer to cook pancakes for the Legion fundraiser, have coffee at the diner, teach a course at the Library if you have an applicable skill/knowledge, etc.

Might go a long way when you come racing into town outrunning the Zombies...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2020, 11:01 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
Or just spend some time in the community, get to know the locals, donate to the local causes/4-H/fire department, etc. Volunteer to cook pancakes for the Legion fundraiser, have coffee at the diner, teach a course at the Library if you have an applicable skill/knowledge, etc.

Outrunning the zombies: you'll probably be welcome, but if you're likely carrying an invisible killer: don't bet on it.

Old 04-03-2020, 12:03 AM

2,993 posts, read 4,304,690 times
If you want to control your neighbors and the land around/adjacent to you, you should buy the land/home yourself. If you can’t afford to do so, well so sad too bad.

I do feel for the locals who feel overrun and priced out by wealthy, out of area, 2nd homeowners but that’s the way life goes. I lived in an area that had this problem and moved, partly because of it.

I now purposely avoid this problem completely by living where no wealthy 2nd homeowner in their right mind would ever want to live. There’s some land across the road from me for sale that I’ve considered buying, mainly to have less neighbors (plus I just love buying land ) but I think it’s a bit too much $$$$ for my tastes. I’d rather take my chances with a potential new neighbor at the current price point. If some one else buys it, I’ll have no right to ***** about it, I had my chance. I certainly wouldn’t try to impede their full enjoyment and use of their new property.

A sad, but true, fact of American life is that you get no extra special property rights than your neighbor, just because you live there full time, and they don’t. The amount of time you spend/live on your property is irrelevant to our property rights system.

Old 04-03-2020, 02:49 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,838,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
Whats the difference if you isolate yourself in one place or another? You would still want to go somewhere that you felt that you could get quick medical treatment if necessary and that wouldn't be nyc
The difference is she was in the city when diagnosed. How did she get to the Hamptons? The bus? The train? Did she drive alone and make no stops or did she go into half dozen stores along the way to get food and other supplies? Did she already have a house there or did she go through a rental process? How many people did she encounter when by staying at home she would have encountered none?

Old 04-03-2020, 07:27 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
The difference is she was in the city when diagnosed. How did she get to the Hamptons? The bus? The train? Did she drive alone and make no stops or did she go into half dozen stores along the way to get food and other supplies? Did she already have a house there or did she go through a rental process? How many people did she encounter when by staying at home she would have encountered none?
given traffic these days, its less than two hours drive from NYC to the Hamptons. so she probably didnt make any stops, maybe gas. maybe 1 food stop.

we all have the right to travel and that is especially important for us if we want to leave a dangerous place to a safe place. i dont see why she wouldnt want to leave nyc to go to a house in the hamptons. i dont see anything wrong with it.

Old 04-03-2020, 08:19 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post

I agree with this. If you want to be part of a community, you have to be part of a community.

I’ve traveled the states quite a lot in the last couple of years and one issue that constantly came up in discussions with locals in the communities was the complaints about second home owners. For one thing, it drove up real estate prices and priced locals out of their own home towns and the other resentment was that those houses sat empty for many months of the year and having a lot of empty houses on your street carries a whole set of problems.

And now all those second home owners want to “use” the community once again and that is not going to be popular with the locals. These are not my thoughts but what I assume the thoughts are of the locals that are blocking people from their second homes. So ask yourself if you’re one of those city folks getting blocked....what have you done for the community? Eating at restaurants and therefore thinking you were helping their economy isn’t good enough. Is it too late to fix it? Only time will tell.

Old 04-03-2020, 10:33 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I agree with this. If you want to be part of a community, you have to be part of a community.

I’ve traveled the states quite a lot in the last couple of years and one issue that constantly came up in discussions with locals in the communities was the complaints about second home owners. For one thing, it drove up real estate prices and priced locals out of their own home towns and the other resentment was that those houses sat empty for many months of the year and having a lot of empty houses on your street carries a whole set of problems.

And now all those second home owners want to “use” the community once again and that is not going to be popular with the locals. These are not my thoughts but what I assume the thoughts are of the locals that are blocking people from their second homes. So ask yourself if you’re one of those city folks getting blocked....what have you done for the community? Eating at restaurants and therefore thinking you were helping their economy isn’t good enough. Is it too late to fix it? Only time will tell.
nobody has an obligation to do anything for their community except pay the required taxes and fees. i buy a home somewhere, i have the right to access it whenever i want to.

Old 04-03-2020, 03:20 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
nobody has an obligation to do anything for their community except pay the required taxes and fees. i buy a home somewhere, i have the right to access it whenever i want to.
And I’ll bet you don’t give a rat’s behind what anybody thinks about it. Maybe the rules have changed but I have nothing to do with that.

Old 04-03-2020, 03:42 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,727,332 times
I could get to the primary BOL but the virus is rampant in that county....Will really have to consider the secondary which is a bit closer but also closer to a major metro. IF it comes to that.

Old 04-03-2020, 04:17 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
I could get to the primary BOL but the virus is rampant in that county....Will really have to consider the secondary which is a bit closer but also closer to a major metro. IF it comes to that.
A Bug-Out-Location that is close to a Major Metro?

That defeats the purpose of the BOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness