Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2020, 08:41 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,284,766 times

Advertisements

This isn't new, or even recent.

Some of these insular, small, rural "communities" didn't want anyone "who ain't from there", even in good times.

So while I defer to their knowledge of outdoorsmanship and fieldcraft and, express gratitude at anything I might have learned, I do so with the expectation that if I were to approach, I might be turned away at gunpoint.

It's ok though, I don't ask for a fish, if I'm shown how to fish (if that makes sense).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2020, 03:02 AM

3,976 posts, read 1,996,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Here's one I really hadn't expected, yet. The trend of locals in resort areas, even states (Outer Banks, RI, FL) blocking lawful access by non locals to their vacation / bug out homes. In my area (river resort) there are rumblings about kicking Californians out. Reason = "they are hoarding and eating our food."

Things could get ugly if the trend expands. Rural vs urban territorial control.

This needs to be a real consideration when choosing a bug out home. Will the locals "allow" you to even access it, or if you are able to reach it, will they become a threat or try to drive you out? Could so-called authorities try to arrest you?

Kind of mind boggling, but in light of current events I think worth considering.
This "trial run" scenario has its teachable moments. How badly, and by whom, will travel be restricted for any given potential event?

Makes one rethink a rural location perhaps, as one to go to.

Old 04-02-2020, 03:41 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,857,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
Where I'm located there's an issue with wealthy Manhattanites overwhelming the Hamptons by not only "holing up" in second homes, but also tempting rental agents and maybe greedy locals with blank checks to secure rental homes.

To a degree this is happening in the Catskill Mountains as well, along with ALOT of downstate "unionized" workers with secure jobs/good salaries (cops/firemen/carpenters/plumbers/electricians/steamfitters/etc.) own second homes/hunting-fishing cabins/etc. in this region.

Stores/hospitals/supply chains in these areas are set up to handle the usual or "expected" demand at any given time or season, having enough for the local year round residents. When you have an unexpected and extreme "urban flight" in an emergency, the infrastructure gets stressed and it threatens the health and safety of everyone.

No easy answer, but if I were a rural local, I would attend some town hall meetings/speak to local officials once I was able when things hopefully settle down to see what ideas they have in mind going forward.
With the supply chain intact it is only a matter of inventory adjustment to alleviate any temporary shortages as we have seen with the temporary artificial increased demand. Since most retailers operate on computerized inventories they can adjust now as easily as they can on Memorial Day.

Still no reason to buy six months worth of toilet paper.

Old 04-02-2020, 03:47 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,857,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i know that if i was in nyc, i would want to get out of there. i lived in brooklyn for a while and one time my wife had accidentally cut her finger with a kitchen knife. we went to the emergency room, waited waited 3+ hours and just decided to go home and heal without medical attention. after that, we decided that if there was a future emergency we would drive to new jersey. nyc medical facilities are inadequate on a good day, it has to be a total nightmare right now.
You would want to get out but should you get out or isolate yourself at home in the city? What about this "Covidiot" who let her sense of entitlement overrule whatever sense she had? Can there be a better example of selfishness?

https://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/co...blasted-report

Old 04-02-2020, 06:55 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,745,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
You would want to get out but should you get out or isolate yourself at home in the city? What about this "Covidiot" who let her sense of entitlement overrule whatever sense she had? Can there be a better example of selfishness?

https://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/co...blasted-report
Whats the difference if you isolate yourself in one place or another? You would still want to go somewhere that you felt that you could get quick medical treatment if necessary and that wouldn't be nyc

Old 04-02-2020, 07:34 AM

12,396 posts, read 8,180,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
Whats the difference if you isolate yourself in one place or another? You would still want to go somewhere that you felt that you could get quick medical treatment if necessary and that wouldn't be nyc
Will "quick" medical treatment be available anywhere? Some medical staff will run towards the biggest fire as that is their nature and why they choose the career. Others will have gone through the armed forces to subsidize their training and be called up to where the National Command Authority thinks they are needed.

Things will find a balance.

Old 04-02-2020, 09:36 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,129,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
In North Carolina both a remote Mountain County and a county on the outer banks have done this, but they aren't denying you access to your property, only visitors. Non-resident property owners are still allowed access.
This is what is happening in Florida.

No short term rentals, we are asking those traveling from NY and NJ to self quarantine for 14 days.

They aren't doing that. Part of our positive Covid=19 cases are from non residents.

Old 04-02-2020, 12:56 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,745,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Will "quick" medical treatment be available anywhere? Some medical staff will run towards the biggest fire as that is their nature and why they choose the career. Others will have gone through the armed forces to subsidize their training and be called up to where the National Command Authority thinks they are needed.

Things will find a balance.
im not sure what you are saying. i guess the answer to "will quick treatment be available anywhere" is that it depends. however, there are definitely places that will hold up better than others. considering the fact that nyc is a nightmare under normal conditions, i would rather take my chances in my NJ suburb.

Old 04-02-2020, 01:45 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,139,124 times
This backlash against city folks bugging out to their second homes was happening in European countries a couple of weeks ago, so it shouldn't be surprising that it started happening here.

Old 04-02-2020, 06:02 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,964,247 times
Which brings us back to the issue that you need to either be living at your BOL or at least have someone on site so you can make your way there and be accepted when you get there.

I bet the rich folks and celebrities with their 30,000 acre Montana gentleman ranches aren't having any issues. Helicopter in, have your foreman pick you up in your King Ranch F250 4x4 and head off for some fly fishing...

As for the rest of us, if you are thinking of a second home / BOL you might consider a location where you can either build several houses or bring in a couple of trailers and have a caretaker live there full time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness