Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Weapons necessary or not?
I carry everywhere and have multiple guns/weapons 25 28.74%
I don't carry but have multiple guns/weapons 33 37.93%
I have guns/weapons only for critter control 6 6.90%
I don't own guns/weapons but thinking about it 5 5.75%
I don't own any guns/weapons 10 11.49%
other 8 9.20%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2020, 10:24 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,572,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
I haven't read this thread, but the question seems to parallel the question I'm frequently asked about riding a motorcycle: "Don't you think you need a helmet?"...My answer-- "Only if I fall off."
Gee.... Just like insurance. You don't need it until your house burns down or you have a car wreck or you get sick.
Otherwise it's just a waste of money right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2020, 12:44 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,150,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
This is not question about if to carry, or not and what to carry.
This is question about how useful is firearm when SHTF happens.
Very useful. It's useful for self-defense and useful for hunting. It's also useful for preemptive strikes on those who would lord over others.

It's also useful for rabid dogs, other rabid animals, poisonous snakes, predatory game like bears, mountain lions, bobcats, and other non-predatory dangerous animals like boar.

While you're walking across a field, the last thing you'd want is to be gored by a ram or a steer.

Quote:
None. For starters, it is based in stupid idea that one can barricade himself inside his house and shoot away any intruders. Wrong. Most likely, they will come with their guns. And, much more eager to use them, with better skill, than you do.
That only serves to prove that having a weapon and being in a group with others that have weapons increases your survivability.

Quote:
Ok, say, you are John Wick and you killed several scouts. Well, bosses will get report that, such and such apparently has something of value, if he protects it so much.

Next thing you'll see - if you even see it coming - will be a APC with minigun mounted on it or, a tank of various size. Or, heli with several missiles fired in your direction.
Today's lesson in all-things-military: Route Classification

Why do we have "Route Classification?"

Only someone who had never been in a tank, 113/557 or Bradley believes they can go everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundayrequiem View Post
Are guns necessary for preparedness?

No they are not necessary. empathy, is necessary for preparedness.
Let's see...you have empathy and five intruders hell-bent on raping and enslaving your women and killing you are armed.

Anyone wanna put odds on the outcome of that?

Old 09-24-2020, 02:12 PM

8,922 posts, read 4,626,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
You could stock up food and water but for a thug much easier to take yours than stock up his
Not so easy for him to take my stuff, with a sucking chest wound.
(Or two, if you count the exit wound.)

On second thought, is it still considered a "sucking chest wound," if you can stick a nerf football in it?

I worked with a guy who had had an accident with a deer rifle.
Five years later, he still had a divot in his back the size of a spam can.
(Experience, as a teacher, charges steep tuition.)

Old 09-24-2020, 02:34 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,669,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

Let's see...you have empathy and five intruders hell-bent on raping and enslaving your women and killing you are armed.

Anyone wanna put odds on the outcome of that?
im pretty sure that if you looked into the victims of all of the murders, rapes, robberies, etc. you will find that they lacked sufficient empathy to protect themselves from such violations.

Old 04-05-2021, 06:59 PM

34 posts, read 22,847 times
there aint gonna be any APC, chopper or tank. When the economy collapses, there will be no fuel for those things to go anywhere. There won't be any large groups of marauders after the first month or so, cause there wont be enough plunder for such groups to support themselves. But you WILL be attacked, again and again, if you stay above ground during daylight hours or get noticed at night, leave "sign" that leads to your dugout, etc.

Old 04-10-2021, 07:43 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,665,340 times
Post Okay, and his car; but not even the Mustang was worth what it cost to take it from him.

Quote:
Ok, say, you are John Wick and you killed several scouts. Well, bosses will get report that, such and such apparently has something of value, if he protects it so much.
Next thing you'll see - if you even see it coming - will be a APC with minigun mounted on it or, a tank of various size. Or, heli with several missiles fired in your direction. What WILL kill you and your family, you did such a brave job protecting.
The problem with this scenario is that it assumes what is valuable to you is also going to be valuable to your foe, and worth it to bosses to expend resources on it. In John Wick, what he valued most was being left alone with his dog. Hardly worth sending an APC for.

More likely, regions from which scouts don't come back will be marked on the map as "Here there be dragons" and bypassed (at least until resources get even tighter).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
You could stock up food and water but for a thug much easier to take yours than stock up his
We've got a deep well, a cistern, and a hand pump. A large enough group of thugs could hope we don't burn down the pumphouse when they attack and at best they end up moving in and running the pump themselves, but that just makes them the incumbent defenders against the next group to migrate through.

So no, having an unknown something of value doesn't automatically mean the boss marauder wants to burn through headcount, ammo, fuel to take an unknown that may very well be valueless to his organization.

Last edited by Nonesuch; 04-10-2021 at 07:54 AM..

Old 04-10-2021, 08:58 AM

37,441 posts, read 61,346,326 times
Are we still discussing Post-SHTF?

No petroleum is flowing. If you attacked a military base maybe they might have an APC on-base with a little fuel in it. I served 20-years on Active Duty in the US Navy. None of the bases where I was homeported had any APCs or any tanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness