Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2020, 10:40 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
But there is a difference. Take for instance building codes and zoning regulations. Two counties away, I can build pretty much any sort of home any size I like (with very minimal requirements). In my county, I am severely restricted in what I can build and live in with both size and construction techniques. It would even be worse if it were under federal government jurisdiction--there would be no place I could go to build as I choose besides to another country with less stringent restrictions.
it is a difference and that is the problem. why should i have different rights in county A vs county B?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2020, 10:44 AM

3,154 posts, read 2,068,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
Another thing, china absolutely needs to be held accountable for this. 100% it needs to happen.
The idea didn't originate with me, but I agree that the name going forward should be the "CCPRS (China Communist Party Respiratory Syndrome), since it was their lying, unchecked by the WHO, that allowed it to be downplayed for the first two months. The Chinese government has proven that it cannot be trusted to act in a responsible manner. Allowing them to keep a stranglehold on manufacturing essential goods used in the U.S.A is simply nationalistic suicide.

Old 04-09-2020, 10:52 AM

7,260 posts, read 5,135,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
it is a difference and that is the problem. why should i have different rights in county A vs county B?

That's the advantage of federalism: what works in one part of the country may not be the way folks want it in another part. People who live in Winnetka IL should be able to vote for a city council that won't allow a CAFO to operate on Sheridan Road, nor should people who move to the Northwoods of WI have to put up with a developer who wants to build a Six Flags across the road from their hunting lodge.

Read the Constitution: it's mostly a about what the Feds can't do to take away freedom of choice. It's up to local jurisdictions to regulate. If you don't like the local rules, it's easier to mount a challenge to change them democratically. That's almost impossible on the national level.

MotherNature is a Federalist. Genes that are advantageous in the swamps of Louisiana don't work well in the high plaines of N.Dakota. If all species had the same genes, they wouldn't do well anywhere.

Ask the farmers of 1955 Ukraine how well The Five Year Plans ordered from Moscow worked out.

Old 04-09-2020, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
That's the advantage of federalism: what works in one part of the country may not be the way folks want it in another part. People who live in Winnetka IL should be able to vote for a city council that won't allow a CAFO to operate on Sheridan Road, nor should people who move to the Northwoods of WI have to put up with a developer who wants to build a Six Flags across the road from their hunting lodge.

Read the Constitution: it's mostly a about what the Feds can't do to take away freedom of choice. It's up to local jurisdictions to regulate. If you don't like the local rules, it's easier to mount a challenge to change them democratically. That's almost impossible on the national level.

MotherNature is a Federalist. Genes that are advantageous in the swamps of Louisiana don't work well in the high plaines of N.Dakota. If all species had the same genes, they wouldn't do well anywhere.

Ask the farmers of 1955 Ukraine how well The Five Year Plans ordered from Moscow worked out.
i can see certain advantages but ultimately i also dont care what my neighbor wants and he shouldnt have to care about what i want. the constitution has proven inadequate in protecting our individual rights and ultimately the only thing that matters is the individual; not any group.

Old 04-09-2020, 12:55 PM

Quote:
i can see certain advantages but ultimately i also dont care what my neighbor wants and he shouldnt have to care about what i want. the constitution has proven inadequate in protecting our individual rights and ultimately the only thing that matters is the individual; not any group.
Captain, can you please let me know if there is any open land available near you? I've got a few tons of spent batteries, used engine oil and medical waste I want to bury.

Old 04-09-2020, 01:09 PM

7,260 posts, read 5,135,660 times
Quote:

Well, I agree that the govt should have minimal say in what I do with my property. But there's also such a thing as being a good neighbor.

Having dealt a little with the crooks in Cook County (Chicago), I burst out laughing when I moved to WI and wanted to put up a pole barn. I asked the zoning guy about regs on depth of post holes & pitch of roof. He answered "What do we care? It's your barn."....That's the way it oughta be everywhere.

The Constitution works. We've gotten lazy and let a tyrannical Deep State & liberal judges ignore it. We've let them put spy cameras on street corners, monitor our private communications, and keep patronizing a compliant, conspiratorial Press that is supposed to expose these inequities with outrage.

The govt is supposed to fear the people. We've let them bully us. Why does anybody need a magazine with 20 rounds? Because the govt has them. We need to be able to fight back. Today's Millennial lambs will be tomorrow's exploited sheep.

Old 04-09-2020, 01:33 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,672,673 times
Arrow China reported ~600 cases each in Shanghai and Beijing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
There is a reason that Shanghai and Beijing had NO cases. Everybody was immunized. That’s why Dictator Xi was able to walk around Wuhan with just a dust mask.
"NO Cases"? China reported a little less than 600 cases each in Shanghai and Beijing,and credits lessons learned from prior outbreaks with reducing the spread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikkei
"I feel that Shanghai did a good job, partly because the time it took from seeing the first symptoms to diagnosing the illness was as short as one day on average," Wu said. "Another major factor was that the government meticulously and rigorously combed all communities for patients."

(Aha -- it's easier to control people when they have no civil rights to violate)

. . .
The Shanghai Public Health and Clinical Center, built in 2004 after the SARS epidemic, was modeled after Beijing's Xiaotangshan Infectious Disease Center. It has 500 permanent beds, with the capacity to set up an additional 600 beds quickly if necessary.
https://www.caixinglobal.com/2020-03...101525054.html
https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Ca...th-coronavirus
OTOH, why believe China on their infected/dead tallies, yet dispute everything else they have to say?

Old 04-09-2020, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
Captain, can you please let me know if there is any open land available near you? I've got a few tons of spent batteries, used engine oil and medical waste I want to bury.
this isnt relevant. its not unusual for people to encounter someone who wants government as small as possible to be labeled an "anarchist" and been thrown out silly stuff like this even when its not relevant to the discussion. ill help you understand. right now we are discussing the concept of one tryant being better than another tyrant not the elimination of all rules and regulations.

to respond to your silliness, do you figure that it makes sense to be ok to dispose of spent batteries, engine oil and medical waste in one town/county/state and not another? or does it make sense if there is a uniform regulation that makes sense everywhere?

Old 04-09-2020, 02:16 PM

Quote:
this isnt relevant. its not unusual for people to encounter someone who wants government as small as possible to be labeled an "anarchist" and been thrown out silly stuff like this even when its not relevant to the discussion. ill help you understand. right now we are discussing the concept of one tryant being better than another tyrant not the elimination of all rules and regulations.

to respond to your silliness, do you figure that it makes sense to be ok to dispose of spent batteries, engine oil and medical waste in one town/county/state and not another? or does it make sense if there is a uniform regulation that makes sense everywhere?
Push comes to shove, I agree with you and Guido that Gub'mint has grown too large and too powerful, I'm a proponent of moving everything back to the states that has been taken from them in the past fifty years; the Dept. of Education, Housing, etc. need to go bye-bye. I "might" allow the Dept. of Energy to remain, although they've been mostly useless since their creation, the nation should have a coherent plan on energy.

My silly reply was intended to simply match your equally silly initial statement of, "ultimately the only thing that matters is the individual; not any group". I only wanted to reinforce that your right to swing your fist ends at my nose. That being said, anytime you want to go Tyrant hunting, let me know.

Old 04-09-2020, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
Push comes to shove, I agree with you and Guido that Gub'mint has grown too large and too powerful, I'm a proponent of moving everything back to the states that has been taken from them in the past fifty years; the Dept. of Education, Housing, etc. need to go bye-bye. I "might" allow the Dept. of Energy to remain, although they've been mostly useless since their creation, the nation should have a coherent plan on energy.

My silly reply was intended to simply match your equally silly initial statement of, "ultimately the only thing that matters is the individual; not any group". I only wanted to reinforce that your right to swing your fist ends at my nose. That being said, anytime you want to go Tyrant hunting, let me know.
if you wanted to match my silliness than you should have kept it in line with what i was discussing (the same rights no matter where you are). not the right to do whatever you want. i didnt say that we have the right to do whatever we want.

i appreciate that you also favor small government, i just want to push it further to its next logical step. i once felt that state rights trumped federal power. however, eventually i started asking myself, why is it better if a state tramples on my rights than if its a federal government? i cant figure out why that should be the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness