Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2020, 06:50 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,036,943 times

Advertisements

I would like to get the Forum's views on some topics and practices that might fall to a grander scale over individual prepping/survival practices and also may be smaller less obvious practices that would help long term survival/prepping one may be employing now or might adopt going forward.

Macro Scale: Bill Gates predicted a few years back we would be woefully unprepared for pandemics, and more resources should be spent on preparation with too much going to military readiness and advancements. Do you feel the U.S. should ease up on military spending and focus more on virology/parasitology research and pandemic readiness going forward? Would you encourage/vote for a politician that would wish this course?

Are there any other governmental courses of action you feel should be taken going forward to ensure the countries survival?

Micro Scale: Healthy eating, simpler living (minimalism) and de-monetizing services, items, etc. by doing without or providing the service for yourself/creating the desired item can go a long way to helping your physical and financial long term survival. All the weapons training/stockpiling won't save you from cancer or organ problems from too much Barbecue/Jim Beam/Cigarettes/etc

Do you plan on starting or ramping up existing practices any or all of the above micro-categories post pandemic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2020, 07:41 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,531,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
I would like to get the Forum's views on some topics and practices that might fall to a grander scale over individual prepping/survival practices and also may be smaller less obvious practices that would help long term survival/prepping one may be employing now or might adopt going forward.

Macro Scale: Bill Gates predicted a few years back we would be woefully unprepared for pandemics, and more resources should be spent on preparation with too much going to military readiness and advancements. Do you feel the U.S. should ease up on military spending and focus more on virology/parasitology research and pandemic readiness going forward? Would you encourage/vote for a politician that would wish this course?

Are there any other governmental courses of action you feel should be taken going forward to ensure the countries (sic.) survival?
Yes: adopt an isolationist foreign policy and limit immigration to Whites of European descent.
Quote:
Micro Scale: Healthy eating, simpler living (minimalism) and de-monetizing services, items, etc. by doing without or providing the service for yourself/creating the desired item can go a long way to helping your physical and financial long term survival. All the weapons training/stockpiling won't save you from cancer or organ problems from too much Barbecue/Jim Beam/Cigarettes/etc

Do you plan on starting or ramping up existing practices any or all of the above micro-categories post pandemic?
I prefer modern industrial society.

Old 04-11-2020, 07:55 AM

228 posts, read 160,387 times
Quote:

Weapons stockpiling won't save them from anything, only will make them prime targets for crime. And a sniper can take one of those types out, the moment they haul their fat butt outside the door.

I'd say bitcoin transactions would be a good substitute for barter in case of hyperinflation, I heard they're actually doing it now in Venezuela. This requires people to be able to use these transactions, of course. As to physical barter....I had to live where it was used before because money became near-worthless. Alcohol would be the good currency under these conditions, so better learn how to make it. Barter doesn't really work, there needs to be a currency, even primitive people had used the money equivalents. So better start making alcohol or may be convince someone pink shells or beads are worth it.

I had to use barter already now, exchanged a respirator I hope TP for barter isn't coming ever. Well if you tear a TP roll into sheets... here's the money substitute idea.

Last edited by worldcitizen10; 04-11-2020 at 08:04 AM..

Old 04-11-2020, 08:04 AM

3,618 posts, read 3,035,621 times
micro:

one of the things I started doing since paper supplies are low at the store - I set aside a hand towel for myself at the kitchen sink. I only use it to dry my hands after washing them. Sounds silly, but I used to just use paper towels. Have to be saving 10-20 paper towels a week.

Old 04-11-2020, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Yes: adopt an isolationist foreign policy and limit immigration to Whites of European descent.
Trump's your boy for that! I can see why he did well in the Western states. Be careful what you wish for unless your Norwegian though, I hear all others may be playing second fiddle...

When you think of it, they likely brought the first devastating pandemic to the indigenous population with smallpox, etc. Almost wiped out the Buffalo for sport/only certain parts/starve the natives.

Might be boring from a gastronomic standpoint. What about pizza and a good Thai curry chicken?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming;578137I6
prefer modern industrial society.
So no reverting back to a manual can opener to strengthen the wrists while saving electricity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldcitizen10 View Post
I'd say bitcoin transactions would be a good substitute for barter in case of hyperinflation, I heard they're actually doing it now in Venezuela.
A durable currency that could hold up in a major SHTF scenario would be desirous, so many shifting and evolving conditions though, hard to keep any element stable. But in normal times could be a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zach_33 View Post
micro:
one of the things I started doing since paper supplies are low at the store - I set aside a hand towel for myself at the kitchen sink. I only use it to dry my hands after washing them. Sounds silly, but I used to just use paper towels. Have to be saving 10-20 paper towels a week.
Not at all, every little step helps IMO...

Old 04-12-2020, 06:36 AM

7,136 posts, read 4,979,325 times
Quote:

Macro Scale: Bill Gates predicted a few years back we would be woefully unprepared for pandemics, and more resources should be spent on preparation with too much going to military readiness....

How many wars have we had in the last, say, 100 yrs?... How many Pandemics?.... How many people are killed annually on our roads? How many have died from CoViD?

Do you have a bomb shelter in case of nuclear holocaust? Why not?

Keep things in perspective.

Quote:
What about pizza …?

Invented in SF by Americans. An American style pizza would be novel & unrecognizable in Italy.
..and who needs Thai food?

Old 04-12-2020, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Keep things in perspective.
Duly noted, good point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Invented in SF by Americans. An American style pizza would be novel & unrecognizable in Italy.
..and who needs Thai food?
Wikipedia: "Pizza first made its appearance in the United States with the arrival of Italian immigrants in the late 19th century"

No Thai heh? Indian spicy Tandoor Chicken perhaps....

Old 04-12-2020, 10:02 AM

3,007 posts, read 1,970,056 times
Some people for sure are planning on changes because what they are experiencing seems bad and the grass is always greener elsewhere.

For example, if someone lost their job due to shutdown they will look at jobs that didn't disappear: police, healthcare, first responders. That's not a bad idea even if it's too late for them they could nudge their kids in that direction. Maybe young women will look for future mates based on this, solid job and financial security. However in a pandemic the job might be safe but their mate could bring the virus home.

Some cities will be seen as less desirable: New Orleans, Detroit, maybe even NYC.

I doubt anyone changes their personal eating or hygiene habits (shaking hands for example). I quit shaking hands 20+ years ago after getting a virus that ruined my 2 week vacation (shook hands on tennis court) and everyone thought I was kooky but worth it to me and no flu or virus since then (yes 20+ years) and rarely got a flu shot (got one this year).

I said in another thread :"Nothing happens unless it happens to you." So in 12 months life will return to business as usual except lots of people will have hit bottom financially, higher rate of divorces this year and next, higher obesity due to staying at home.

No one has spoken publicly (yet) about money inherited from senior citizens who died and job openings due to early retirees. Both are unexpected bonuses to younger generation.

Old 04-13-2020, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
Some cities will be seen as less desirable: New Orleans, Detroit, maybe even NYC.
I live about an hour outside of NYC, this is "round two" for the city being declared a "Ground Zero" in less than 20 years....

Quote:
I doubt anyone changes their personal eating or hygiene habits (shaking hands for example). I quit shaking hands 20+ years ago
Smart practice IMO. I think you'll see alot more of it going forward with elbow bumping, possibly a** bumping the new greeting norm.

Quote:
No one has spoken publicly (yet) about money inherited from senior citizens who died and job openings due to early retirees. Both are unexpected bonuses to younger generation.
A grim observation, but a reality nonetheless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness