Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2020, 01:21 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Sounds good.
I know you like IH stuff, there are a bunch of 1940s-1950s IH tractors in Roundup in very good condition. I haven't had a chance to stop and talk to the guy that has them in his yard, it looks like he's restoring them.
He's got a couple of M's hand Super M's I wouldn't mind having. Got a really nice H too, but it's got the narrow front end.

I'll be bringing my father's 2 Super M's up to my place. Going to plant in a bunch of barley hay. I want to get some Hereford Hogs, a heritage breed, and pasture them in that grain field. They have really good lard as well as meat. I can get all the hogs I want from my neighbor, but I like having my own stock.
My Scottish Highlander cattle already produce fantastic meat, nd the tallow is second to none. Once processed, lard and tallow keep forever and can be used not just for food and soap, but also can be used to store other food without refrigeration.
I hope those M's have three points. The one fatal flaw with IH- proprietary implements. That and a Cub PTO runs counter clockwise.

Which is why I have this-

This gal is solid steel- no plastic and it punches way above its' weight. I had been searching for a replacement for the POS John Deere I had, and I happened to see it in Belgrade at the stealership but with a price tag on-line that made me call ASAP and tell them it was sold and I'd give them my debit card over the phone. The guy that listed it for them made an error and put $7,000 in the line. It was supposed to be almost double that. It only had 300 hours on it and was totally serviced by the dealer every year. They were stand-up and honored the price. They even threw in the deal a host of model specific parts they still had in stock that they would never sell- bonus for me!

I got lucky!!

It's plenty strong to break soil and run a small scale farm. I have dreams of putting in 1/2 acre of corn, but we'll see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2020, 03:10 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,573,379 times
Excellent deal!! I liked the size of your old JD, had a good loader on it.

Corn needs a lot of water, did you ever get your new well?
If not, maybe a rain catchment with a cistern would help.

Old 04-19-2020, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Excellent deal!! I liked the size of your old JD, had a good loader on it.

Corn needs a lot of water, did you ever get your new well?
If not, maybe a rain catchment with a cistern would help.
No that JD was crap. That loader break-over weight was crap, the reliance on electronics was a weak link. We broke the welds on the loader arms twice. It was a POS that I got for cheap when I moved here. I horse traded that little tractor for my 1972 Chevy Cheyenne K-20 3/4 ton.

I made out like a BANDIT on that deal too. Straight up trade, no cash.

I had a New Holland TC29 when I lived in WV- that thing ran circles around a comparable JD model. No comparison. The Ford I have was the predecessor to the TC29, albeit a little lighter. Given my druthers I'd love to have a TC29 or a TC35 but they are pricey. They are absolutely incredible machines. I worked that tractor like a dog back in WV. I took that tractor, a single bottom plow and a drag disc and broke 5 acres of untilled virgin shale soil for a corn patch for my church. A little TC29! My neighbor and good friend bought it from me when I left. That and he sold my old Farmall A for me.

We're good on the community well. We've got plenty of water to irrigate and no limit on usage. Might burn the pump out every now and again in the cistern, lol.

Old 04-19-2020, 03:48 PM

This will date me- why my son and I have the IH disease.

He was operating and mowing grass on it when he was 8.

He, as precocious 5 year old, dutifully took metal parts and sanded them down and helped dad prime and paint that old girl. He has an appreciation for American engineering, and he freely admits that is why he has chosen a profession in engineering.

The old saying was if you wanna farm- get a Farmall. If you wanna look pretty while you're farming- get a John Deere, lol.

Last edited by Threerun; 04-19-2020 at 03:56 PM..

Old 04-19-2020, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Sounds good.
I know you like IH stuff, there are a bunch of 1940s-1950s IH tractors in Roundup in very good condition. I haven't had a chance to stop and talk to the guy that has them in his yard, it looks like he's restoring them.
He's got a couple of M's hand Super M's I wouldn't mind having. Got a really nice H too, but it's got the narrow front end.
I know EXACTLY the yard you're talking about. Just outside of town along the main road. South of the road as I recall. Looks like an IH tractor display. I stopped and snapped a pic and sent it to my son years ago. Maybe 2 years ago. I took the back roads back to Laurel that day and checked out some block management along the way.

Yeah I'd stay away from the H and Super H. The problem with those tractors is under load, even pulling a hay wagon, they have a propensity to nose up off the ground. Especially if you hit a hole and the governor kicks in.

Ask me how I know, lol.

Old 04-19-2020, 06:58 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,573,379 times
Yep, that's the one.

Several of the small ranchers around here are still running those old tractors. They don't have power to burn, no cabs, only 2 wheel drive, but they just keep going and starting even when it's below zero.

Fairly economical to run, no GPS or stereo, they're just a good workhorse tractor you can work on and fix without an advanced degree in electrical engineering.

We've got a lot of older equipment like that. For a small place that's all you need to get your work done.
We have one Super M I learned to drive on many many years ago. It still runs great and powers our sawmill.

I'm hoping to plant in about 2 acres of spuds this year as well as the regular garden which is probably about 3/4-1 acre for squash, beans, tomatoes etc. but I was thinking of a small plot of field corn or Indian corn since both store well and make good cornmeal.
Most corn grown around this area is sweet corn. Really good fresh, but doesn't store as well. If I get a decent crop I could probably do some trading of cornmeal for other things I need.

Or I could just crack it and feed the hogs, chickens and turkeys.

Nice to have options.

Old 04-19-2020, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Yep, that's the one.

Several of the small ranchers around here are still running those old tractors. They don't have power to burn, no cabs, only 2 wheel drive, but they just keep going and starting even when it's below zero.

Fairly economical to run, no GPS or stereo, they're just a good workhorse tractor you can work on and fix without an advanced degree in electrical engineering.

We've got a lot of older equipment like that. For a small place that's all you need to get your work done.
We have one Super M I learned to drive on many many years ago. It still runs great and powers our sawmill.

I'm hoping to plant in about 2 acres of spuds this year as well as the regular garden which is probably about 3/4-1 acre for squash, beans, tomatoes etc. but I was thinking of a small plot of field corn or Indian corn since both store well and make good cornmeal.
Most corn grown around this area is sweet corn. Really good fresh, but doesn't store as well. If I get a decent crop I could probably do some trading of cornmeal for other things I need.

Or I could just crack it and feed the hogs, chickens and turkeys.

Nice to have options.
A few gallons of oil, some bailing wire and those old girls will run. Just keep 'em juiced and they will pull it through it.

My son won the 'Antique class' his senior year at the Vigilante Parade in Helena.

Those old bastards just run. Great tractors.

Old 04-20-2020, 02:03 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,831,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
US media is not reporting how many people are lining up at food pantries for hours and hours. I saw the photos in The Guardian. Food is unaffordable for out of work people and getting darn expensive for stay-at-home people like me.

My reaction to stay-at-home was to start a veggie garden on my .3 acre (house uses half that) and it turns out many thousands of people felt the same way because seed sellers are besieged with orders during their busiest season. Gardens being planted by so many people.

I was only able to buy 2 tomato plants before not feeling safe to go out for more so my CV19 garden is 99% from seed. We just moved here and luckily previous owners had a flower bed in the backyard. Unluckily the soil is concrete quality clay. So am doing combination: amending clay bed with bagged dirt, growing in grow bags with bagged dirt and trying out straw bale gardening (working well but only got 1 bale before you-know-what).

Can I feed our family of 2 from my garden? No but something is better than nothing. Got lotsa greens: kale, collards, spinach, tatsoi, bok choi. Green beans growing for fresh cooking and later for dry beans. Starting winter squash, some keeps well all winter to use as needed. Carrots, tomatoes and more doing well.

Do I think food supply lines will be disrupted? I don't trust the leadership to keep them working since I haven't seen any national leadership to send medical equipment to states in need. You can't eat money although I'm sure the wealthy will have access to whatever food they want.

Local grocery stores limit purchase of meat to (2) per order on delivered orders. That's already a sign they don't have enough product on hand to sell. Meat processing plant has shut in Midwest due to CV19 in a state without stay-at-home order. Workers are not being protected and leadership wants closed states to re-open asap.

My HOA won't let me have chickens or I'd add them today and buy a moveable house for them so they can eat garden bugs.

We're on our on folks.
Where do you live? Are there marauding bands lying in wait for grocery shoppers? The paranoia pours out of your entire post here. What are you ever going to do with yourself if someday a real problem should arise?

Old 04-20-2020, 02:29 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,831,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comstock Richy F View Post
i planted potatoe plants.
Dan Quayle says hello.

Old 04-20-2020, 08:31 AM

7,237 posts, read 5,114,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comstock Richy F View Post
i planted potatoe plants.
From the nutritional efficiency standpoint, potatoes, peas & beans are the only plants that matter. Everything else is only needed to supplement the taste, texture & presentation factors in eating.....Farmers are only plowing under crops that are difficult to store and are intended mostly for restaurants that want to use fresh produce. With restaurants mostly closed, demand is down. ...Nobody is plowing under wheat or potatoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
And since when does politics have anything at all to do with the subject?.
If you notice, the states with the harshest, most Draconian restrictions are the Dem-led states. The "Libs" (how ironic is that moniker?) are the ones who want to force people into their way of thinking....The GOP-led states have made recommendations on SIP, etc without forcing anybody to comply....In MI, will they arrest you for congregating, then throw you in jail where you are forced to congregate? How stupid. It's all about politics-- see below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
... All that is needed is more testing... .
As soon as someone says this, I know they haven't got a clue:

Testing for CoV only tells you the PRESENT-- it has no predictive value. It doesn't mean you will never get the bug. It only tells you (with really low certainty) that you don't have it right now....Your test status will not alter in any way how your case is managed-- If you're sick with a respiratory ailment, you must be considered "+" regardless of the test result. ..If You're "+" but not sick, you should be quarantined-- but even if the test comes out"-" you should still be wearing a mask in public to minimize your chances of contacting the bug, or to minimize your chances of spreading it if you where a false "-" on the test.

As I said-- the test has no predictive value-- if it comes out "-" when do we test again? Next year? Next month? Next week? In 5 minutes? Stupid.

The question is only brought up to gain political points-- Trump wants to brag how many tests we're doing; Dems want to criticize saying we're not doing enough.

BTW- now that we have more data, it looks like this bug is only picking off the very most vulnerable, most of whom were bound to die this year anyway-- The actual death rate looks like it's going to be no worse than the flu, and it may well be that in a year, we'll look back and realize the economic damage caused by the mitigation efforts outweighed the benefits-- But without a crystal ball in January, nobody had any way of knowing that.---Kinda like the decision to get married- It seemed like a good idea at the time, but 10 yrs later, maybe not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness