Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2020, 06:37 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times

Advertisements

So my wife and I have a propensity to look for 1940's-1950's era appliances. They're incredibly durable and rebuildable. I think I've found one with pretty good versatility.

Wood cooking on one side, propane on the other.

The oven is entirely propane, but for all intent and purposes you just need to cook- so the wood comes into play.

A nice option for cabins and other applications. We have two of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2020, 03:03 AM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
Wedgewood is even a 'collectible' stove so when you're tired of it if it's still in good shape you can perhaps resell it for what you paid for it.

There's probably a pilot light in the oven as well so if you live in a place with a lot of humidity, you can store crackers in there to keep them crisp. Or dry tea leaves & cooking herbs. Or even hatch chickens if you want, I suppose.

Is that a dual fuel wood/gas type stove? It looks like wood burning type burner plates over on the left side?

Old 04-20-2020, 04:03 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Yes it's dual fuel, they are typically made for coal but you can burn wood in any coal stove. Not sure if that is made for coal. Most of the ones I have seen were coal stoves with a "side car" that had two gas side burners. The primary reason for the gas was for summer cooking. Some had or have a small water tank, you hook it to storage tank and the hot water will thermosiphon into the tank. You can buy fully functional refurbished ones but be sitting down when you ask the price.

If you are in the Northeast US and have access to anthracite it's the way to go. The only real advantage wood has over coal is less ash and of course if you live in wooded area it's in your backyard. That said the coal is only 1/3 the volume of wood and it can be stored anywhere forever. Get a tractor trailer load and bury it. There is one very big advantage for survival, anthracite doesn't produce any smoke. You might get whiff of sulfur on those warm humid mornings but that's about it.

Most people should be familiar with Harman stoves. There coal line was bought out by a company called AHS (Alternate Heating Systems) and rebranded legacy stoves. It doesn't have the gas but if you are looking for modern stove they have it. This is based on their sf-250, the tank on the side is for water. It's not closed tank and you would not be able to use it for thermosiphon. They make boilers but I would imagine there would be ton of testing and certification requirements to make it closed tank. As side note this stove is labeled for coal only however it was (ahem) labeled dual fuel prior to the EPA regulations.

https://legacystoves.com/product/sf250/

This particular stove in this picture is interesting piece, if you remove the griddle it's signed by Dane Harman with welder.

Old 04-20-2020, 09:18 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Wedgewood is even a 'collectible' stove so when you're tired of it if it's still in good shape you can perhaps resell it for what you paid for it.

There's probably a pilot light in the oven as well so if you live in a place with a lot of humidity, you can store crackers in there to keep them crisp. Or dry tea leaves & cooking herbs. Or even hatch chickens if you want, I suppose.

Is that a dual fuel wood/gas type stove? It looks like wood burning type burner plates over on the left side?
Yes it's a wood stove/gas stove combo. Wedgewood was a CA company and you can find them out here. The wood/gas combo, in good shape, are a little tough to find. What's amazing is the fact the gas burners have a feature, that with just a 1/4 turn the simmer 'top hot' burner in the center only comes on- talk about precise simmering! Continue to turn the knob then both fire up.

This our second one- slightly wider than the first. This one has a RARELY used wood firebox.

Got that one for a steal but I traveled a fair ways to get it. The original owner said they called the firebox the 'trash burner', lol. These stoves even have gas igniters in the firebox. Talk about easy!

We're going to remodel our kitchen and my wife has to decide which one she wants in the house. The other will stay in my shop for use, and it'll come in handy during canning season.

Old 04-20-2020, 11:17 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
I have a Kitchen Queen wood-fired cookstove.

480 kitchen queen

I ordered our stove to include the glass door on the firebox and on the oven.

Old 04-20-2020, 11:28 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
I can't answer your question, but that's a pretty cool looking old stove.

Old 04-21-2020, 07:32 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
I can't answer your question, but that's a pretty cool looking old stove.

That's nothin'.... It's basic utilitarian model, not that there is anything wrong with that. This on the other hand is a work of art. As i mentioned you can buy them like this fully refurbished or DIY, however it's not cheap by any means.

Old 04-22-2020, 10:40 AM

50,241 posts, read 46,997,454 times
We have one of those wood burning stoves. Nothing beats cooking over oak.

Old 12-28-2020, 06:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,880 times
Did you have to do any refurbishing of this stove? If so, how did you manage it? I have the same one and it turns out that they are not incredibly common. Your post is the only stove I've found that is identical to mine and I want to start cleaning/refurbishing mine. Also, would you happen to know what year it is? I have also been trying to date mine and it seems near impossible.

Old 12-29-2020, 02:34 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Yes it's a wood stove/gas stove combo. Wedgewood was a CA company and you can find them out here. The wood/gas combo, in good shape, are a little tough to find. What's amazing is the fact the gas burners have a feature, that with just a 1/4 turn the simmer 'top hot' burner in the center only comes on- talk about precise simmering! Continue to turn the knob then both fire up.

This our second one- slightly wider than the first. This one has a RARELY used wood firebox.

Got that one for a steal but I traveled a fair ways to get it. The original owner said they called the firebox the 'trash burner', lol. These stoves even have gas igniters in the firebox. Talk about easy!

We're going to remodel our kitchen and my wife has to decide which one she wants in the house. The other will stay in my shop for use, and it'll come in handy during canning season.
Years ago I cooked on a Wedgewood gas range with burners like that, but a griddle in the middle rather than a wood firebox. Those little burners in the center were great, but created hot spots even in cast iron. I bought a heat diffuser, and could simmer things on the cook top for days without burning the pot. I still use that flame spreader for simmering things on my wood stove during power outages.

My grandparents had a wood/electric Wedgewood that was great. My grandfather built a fire in it every morning to take the chill off the kitchen. There was also a cook top and oven if the power went out. Does yours have coils for a hot water reservoir? If so, you could hang a tank on the wall, though propane is pretty reliable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness