Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2020, 01:22 PM

8,822 posts, read 4,488,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
well, certain answers have no basis in reality (like a chariot pulling the sun). the beliefs of modern religions just have zero chance of being correct since they are completely manufactured out of thing air with zero support other than "magic" and "faith." however, someone could have logical guesses that do have a chance of being correct and that could even include the existence of some life form different than our own as a "creator" type of character.
So, you're just doubling down on what you said earlier. If you don't know the answers, then you should not dismiss any answer as "no basis in reality" since you are not in a position to determine that reality.

But have a nice day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2020, 05:41 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,541,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
So, you're just doubling down on what you said earlier. If you don't know the answers, then you should not dismiss any answer as "no basis in reality" since you are not in a position to determine that reality.

But have a nice day.
That's an interesting idea. So because I don't know the answer that means that every single "answer" that someone manufactures can't be discounted? I don't think that's how things work.

Old 05-28-2020, 01:58 AM

Quote:
That's an interesting idea. So because I don't know the answer that means that every single "answer" that someone manufactures can't be discounted? I don't think that's how things work.

But now you know better. You're welcome.

Old 05-28-2020, 07:55 AM

Quote:
[/b]

But now you know better. You're welcome.
you have just successfully debunked the "process of elimination." clearly it is not possible to eliminate any answers if you dont know the answer. i cant believe all these years people have been wrongly eliminating possible outcomes when its not really possible unless you can eliminate all but the correct one.

Old 05-28-2020, 11:51 AM

Quote:
you have just successfully debunked the "process of elimination." clearly it is not possible to eliminate any answers if you dont know the answer. i cant believe all these years people have been wrongly eliminating possible outcomes when its not really possible unless you can eliminate all but the correct one.
lol - here's the thing - you stated that you didn't know all the answers but felt the need to made snide remarks about chariots, etc. When called to task for your arrogance, you want to take everything to its illogical extreme. This ain't about the scientific method and process of elimination. It's about you wanting to appear superior to anyone with different beliefs about spiritual things.

But just keep up the snark and I'll keep pointing out your hypocrisy. I got all day..

Old 05-28-2020, 01:47 PM

Quote:
lol - here's the thing - you stated that you didn't know all the answers but felt the need to made snide remarks about chariots, etc. When called to task for your arrogance, you want to take everything to its illogical extreme. This ain't about the scientific method and process of elimination. It's about you wanting to appear superior to anyone with different beliefs about spiritual things.

But just keep up the snark and I'll keep pointing out your hypocrisy. I got all day..
you called me to task by suggesting that if i dont know the answer then i cant eliminate other people's ridiculous "answers"? your point doesnt make any sense.

things arent "spiritual." things have actual answers and when we dont know the answers it doesnt make them "spiritual" and we can just fill in the blanks with "magic."

Old 05-28-2020, 03:55 PM

Quote:
you called me to task by suggesting that if i dont know the answer then i cant eliminate other people's ridiculous "answers"? your point doesnt make any sense.

things arent "spiritual." things have actual answers and when we dont know the answers it doesnt make them "spiritual" and we can just fill in the blanks with "magic."
Gee, this is fun. (a) not all things have actual known answers, and you rightly admitted you don't have all the answers. Perhaps in time we will know the answers but now we don't. (b) spiritual is a real thing, and has nothing to do with magic. The lack of imagination in your posts is palpable

Old 05-28-2020, 05:59 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,603,080 times
Quote:
this basically is an "i cant explain how things came to be so i believe in a magical power" logic. kind of like how at one point people believed that the sun was moved into and out of place by some guy riding a chariot with the sun in it. its an interesting thing where instead of accepting the fact that we cant explain some things you have to just fill in anything you cant explain with "must have been a magic sky god."

i accept that we dont know all the answers and i dont try to fill in the blanks with magic. it is especially interesting where people dont just stop with magic but they conjure up all kind of magical stories and characters and somehow believe theirs are more accurate than others. a christian looking at ancient greek mythology with the attitude of "that is so ridiculous to believe that zeus was the god of thunder" fails to see that his belief system is similarly ridiculous.
I don't see that religion has much impact on prepping, except the Mormon thing about having a year's worth of food on hand. Whether churchies would be much use in a crisis is problematic. The old guy who built the house I live in hired church members to do the work. It took me months to fix all the things they neglected. By the time I was done, I had hammered in 70 lbs of 7d galvanized box nails. They were lucky the place was sheltered from the wind, or it would have blown over. They installed heavy shakes on a 3/12 pitch roof that must have leaked from the day it was built. They missed perimeter insulation on the outer 6' of the attic because there was a 2x12 purlin in the way. When I pulled the roof off, the skip sheathing had one 6d waxed air gun nail per rafter. You could pull the board up with one finger.

If they want to chant magic spells, it's up to them, but I'll stick with people bonded to reality. Jayzuz won't do crap in a crisis.

Old 05-29-2020, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Gee, this is fun. (a) not all things have actual known answers, and you rightly admitted you don't have all the answers. Perhaps in time we will know the answers but now we don't. (b) spiritual is a real thing, and has nothing to do with magic. The lack of imagination in your posts is palpable
i never said everything has known answers, i said that they have answers.

i have imagination, i just dont try to apply mythical fairytales to reality just because im desperate for an answer now.

Old 05-29-2020, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I don't see that religion has much impact on prepping, except the Mormon thing about having a year's worth of food on hand. Whether churchies would be much use in a crisis is problematic. The old guy who built the house I live in hired church members to do the work. It took me months to fix all the things they neglected. By the time I was done, I had hammered in 70 lbs of 7d galvanized box nails. They were lucky the place was sheltered from the wind, or it would have blown over. They installed heavy shakes on a 3/12 pitch roof that must have leaked from the day it was built. They missed perimeter insulation on the outer 6' of the attic because there was a 2x12 purlin in the way. When I pulled the roof off, the skip sheathing had one 6d waxed air gun nail per rafter. You could pull the board up with one finger.

If they want to chant magic spells, it's up to them, but I'll stick with people bonded to reality. Jayzuz won't do crap in a crisis.
he must not have been amish, i hear they are good builders.

when it comes to apocalyptic scenarios its not like we dont have plenty of examples to choose from. all over the world people experience total destruction of their lifestyles every day. i think it causes some to turn away from religion but probably more turn to it. but when it comes to survival, religion doesnt help people not get butchered and it doesnt help people survive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness