Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2020, 01:44 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,576,536 times

Advertisements

More of a hot plate than an oven -- to heat a can of soup, fry an egg or boil water for coffee if the power went out. I have almost no storage space so the smaller the better.

I have a gas range so normally cooking isn't affected in a power outtage but in case of sabotage or terror attack, I'm assuming electricity would be needed to keep gas flowing for days or weeks. Anyone know for sure?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2020, 02:16 PM

3,057 posts, read 2,034,410 times
Yes you can light your gas stove top (not oven) with a match, bypassing the electronic ignition. My neighbor has gas range but we recently had a 12 hour blackout (windstorm) and she could not cook for her young family, not sure whether she was afraid to light her burners manually. Last year people across town were killed when their house blew up due to natural gas leak so she may have been worried about that.

https://www.nwnatural.com/ConnectToG...g%20controls.)

Second, camp stoves are not meant to be used indoors. You do not want to kill yourself making coffee because electric went out. Do you have a garage or outdoor deck you can set something up with proper ventilation?

Old 06-16-2020, 04:37 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,579,743 times
Some of the small ultralight stoves using butane work well if properly vented such as by an open window.
There are a lot of models out there that put off very little in the way of exhaust, some are even rated to be used inside a tent, but I'd always have a window or vent cracked to make sure of good air flow.

I'd never use one of the larger white gas or kerosene stoves inside a closed building.

Old 06-16-2020, 06:13 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,402,242 times
Silvertip is on the right track.

Let's start out with the BIG slap in the face to the fearful naysayers: You are ALREADY using gas - likely natural gas - a hydrocarbon mixture, primarily of methane - CH4. Alternatives are comparable, and warning of carbon monoxide poisoning is simply a ridiculous presupposition for someone already used to gas cooking and the protocols.

Butane is a good choice C4-H10

Ethanol is even better - CH3-CH2-OH

With combustion byproducts, there are two primary dangers - oxygen depletion, and as a result of that, carbon MONoxide generation. Whingers will also include nitrogen compounds, which are less lethal by far.

C= carbon molecule, H = hydrogen molecule, O = oxygen molecule.

You could burn hydrogen (it is possible) and have only water as a byproduct of combustion (the other is heat).

Both butane and ethanol only have minimal carbon compared to hydrogen (see the formulas) - meaning... the byproducts of combustion will be mostly water vapor and heat, with a little carbon dioxide.

Butane is a compressed gas and may be difficult to find. Ethanol, as any apprentice bootlegger knows, is easily created out of whatever carbohydrates you might have at hand - corn, sugar, rye, potatoes, rotten turnips, etc. You can also distill rotgut that is not fit for human consumption as a fuel.

Ethanol, as a liquid, is also a lot more easy to store than butane.

The downside of ethanol is that the combustion temperature is lower, and water takes longer to boil. The flame is also nearly invisible and not for use by the stupid.

You can burn denatured alcohol, sterno, etc, in any acohol stove, but when those run out, your burner will be happy with ethanol and possibly some sort of wick.

Old 06-16-2020, 07:46 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Some of the small ultralight stoves using butane work well if properly vented such as by an open window.
There are a lot of models out there that put off very little in the way of exhaust, some are even rated to be used inside a tent, but I'd always have a window or vent cracked to make sure of good air flow.

I'd never use one of the larger white gas or kerosene stoves inside a closed building.
I've never seen any ill effects from either kerosene or gasoline lighting, but do use unleaded gas or Coleman fuel. I often use a kkerosene heater in a chilly corner of the house. Butane, however, should not be used above 5000' because it produces CO in a low oxygen atmosphere

Old 06-16-2020, 09:49 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,902,551 times
There are a variety of butane models on Amazon that are advertised as for being for "indoor" use. I got ours at the local CVS. They go on sale frequently for 1/2 off.

It is a myth that anything that creates fire causes carbon monoxide poisoning. That only happens when the combustion has insufficient access to oxygen. This is why everybody with an indoor kitchen gas range doesn't die. Most of these burners are no different.

Things like internal combustion engines, etc, should never be ran in a home. I had a 1973 Oldsmobile Omega that would set off our carbon monoxide alarm when I was running it outside the house, tailpipe pointed away.

Old 06-28-2020, 11:33 AM

50,276 posts, read 47,032,885 times
My backup stove is a wood burner. ALOCS small power is my backpack stove and I usually use heavy duty al foil to cook on.

Old 06-29-2020, 07:07 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,726,169 times
https://www.coleman.com/all-camp-kit...COL_2000020950

Old 07-01-2020, 10:48 AM

19,757 posts, read 22,661,296 times
I picked up this gem from a guy selling it locally on craigslist-

https://www.elementoutfitters.com/Pa...e-p/pscs18.htm

This thing is TOUGH. Designed for guides in the backcountry- all welded aluminum and it pumps out some serious BTU's. Folds like a suitcase and has 4 burners. I love being able to place my long cast iron griddle over two burners, have a pot of coffee going on the third and still have an open burner for heating water.

We had an irrigation system installed around our house last week and the guys severed our propane line in several spots. I had to hand trench another run for new line (80' ft through shale- that was fun ). Our kitchen stove is propane so we were down about 5 days. That camp stove is the cats butt and we had no issues with indoor use.

I own many Coleman stoves- most vintage, I have several backpacking stoves that I've used a lot over the past 25 years but this Partner Stove is simply built like a tank. It's not even comparable, honestly.

Old 08-29-2020, 11:05 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,576,536 times
What do you guys think of this? Can't beat the price or the small size. If the power grid gets taken down around the time of the election by the Leftists, I am hoping to manage for a month. Use a one quart pot to boil water for eggs, coffee, pasta and to heat soup. I live alone and would put this on top of my own stove or in my large stainless steel kitchen sink.

https://www.firesupplydepot.com/stan...ency-stove-236
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness