Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2020, 10:59 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,950,661 times

Advertisements

I just stumbled across this site. It has some interesting concepts and images regarding setting up an off grid self sufficient home.

The guy is selling a book, but there's a lot of free info and pictures. One item I noticed right off is using reinforced tanks for water - and I know a played out mine near my house where they abandoned two! Guess what our weekend project is going to be?

Submariner and Happy in WY, among others, can probably give us a better opinion if the info is any good. I don't have any farming experience. But the farm layout on the site looks interesting to me.

https://selfsufficient-backyard.com/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2020, 08:36 AM

3,124 posts, read 2,068,179 times
We use those reinforced tanks for rainwater collection from rooftops. It's used to water our conventional vegetable garden. Our native edible plant acreage doesn't need watering since everything is adapted to the amount of rainfall we get.

Old 07-03-2020, 08:26 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,487,112 times
The "reinforced tanks" you refer to are IBC totes and most commonly hold 275 gallons of water. If you find used ones, be sure that they previously held only clean water or food products, as they are often used to hold chemical compounds and it is virtually impossible to clean that out of a plastic container. Just sayin.

Regarding book reviews, anyone who is honest will want to read the book first. Given that your web site is obviously trying to sell the book, be careful with the pretty pictures and excepts of the experiences of those who claim to have been there, done that. On the other hand, if the book is cheap enough, you have little to lose so go ahead and order it if you want to.

Caveat emptor.

Old 07-04-2020, 05:57 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,579,743 times
Had a couple of those totes that originally held molasses.

Boy did the cows like that water!!!

Old 07-05-2020, 11:26 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,902,551 times
For those interested in storing water here's an old thread. We have four water catchment systems spread out over 9 acres. The simplest catches the water off a small chicken coop roof to supply water for the chickens, the most complicated stores and treats 10,000 gallons of rain water from our home's roof.

Since I posted the original, we acquired an adjacent property (the last 3 of the 9 acres) that had a 2,000 gallon steel tank from a water delivery truck on the back of it. Will probably never need to use it but I use a "kiddie pool" with a hole in the center on top of the tank's fill hole like a funnel to keep it topped off. I drain water periodically from it to keep it fresh. Just in case we ever need to tap it. Our only source of water is rain*, and in 8 years we've never ran out, even with livestock and crop irrigation (It helps to get 150 inches of rain per year).

//www.city-data.com/forum/self-...catchment.html

* We can get water delivered, just have never had to.

Need to add: water catchment guide: https://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/rm-12.pdf

Last edited by terracore; 07-05-2020 at 11:36 PM.. Reason: https://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/rm-12.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness