Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2020, 04:56 PM

8,918 posts, read 4,649,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
By the way, how many folks on here just ignore the liberal trolls talking to themselves? Just asking...
I have about 60 of them on ignore. All I get is their name, followed by:
"This user is on your Ignore List."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2020, 06:10 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,579,743 times
Quote:
Yeah, but it can burn down your whole house tho!

By the way, how many folks on here just ignore the liberal trolls talking to themselves? Just asking...
What trolls? I see some blank lines, but I don't think I'm missing anything.

Old 07-27-2020, 06:52 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times
Quote:
...By the way, how many folks on here just ignore the liberal trolls talking to themselves? Just asking...
I'm not afraid of them so I don't use "IGNORE." I just never respond.

Old 07-28-2020, 07:50 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
Quote:
Yeah, but it can burn down your whole house tho!

its impressive when a republican calls me a liberal because they are shocked to see someone who actually supports small government unlike them who just pretends to support small government.

Old 07-28-2020, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
its impressive when a republican calls me a liberal because they are shocked to see someone who actually supports small government unlike them who just pretends to support small government.
one thing that is interesting when you are actually a more libertarian minded person is you find that you have more in common with leftists than you do with republicans. now, i am polar opposite of leftists on many issues but i agree with them on many social issues and being anti-police and anti-military. when it comes to republicans, you would think that we are in alignment on the issue of being fiscally responsible, lower taxes and generally smaller government. the problem is that republicans arent really interested in fiscal responsibility, low taxes and smaller government. they just pretend to be.

Old 07-29-2020, 02:09 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,473,841 times
Quote:
IMO the big govt police state is what has wrecked inner cities that before 1960 were mostly thriving despite blatant legal discrimination. On the left urban cities have very high taxes and no local control of schools. On the right there is a military police state that shackles people for life with a criminal record for the most minor offenses. The way to fix cities is reduce taxes to same level as suburbs, local school options, and policing that focuses on apprehending people for rape, murder, and assault rather than looking to score an arrest for a joint.

Old 07-30-2020, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
IMO the big govt police state is what has wrecked inner cities that before 1960 were mostly thriving despite blatant legal discrimination. On the left urban cities have very high taxes and no local control of schools. On the right there is a military police state that shackles people for life with a criminal record for the most minor offenses. The way to fix cities is reduce taxes to same level as suburbs, local school options, and policing that focuses on apprehending people for rape, murder, and assault rather than looking to score an arrest for a joint.
Well, I think you are, at the least, mostly right. But don't hold your breath.
Moving towards truly fixing things isn't where the country is going.
At best, we are moving towards Balkanization, at worst, towards civil war.
(And there won't be anything civil, nor even orderly, about it.)
Any way you look at it, the future is going to be a mess,
and that is why we prep.

Old 07-30-2020, 09:42 AM

Quote:
im not sure how to fix cities. we all should have the same rights no matter where we live. that means people in cities should be able to own guns without roadblocks, applications and registration. they also should be able to consume any drugs they want without dealing with the police as we all have a right to consume anything we want (and there shouldnt be prescription requirements for medication). if police focused on actual crimes, there probably would be a lot less animosity. but there is more to it than that, thats just one big part of it.

one thing i see in nyc is that it is very difficult for the middle class to do well here. there are a chunk of very wealthy and a very large poor population. middle class cant afford to live well here, poor are on public assistance. i seem to be losing more good staff these days who are moving to other parts of the country where they can get more for less money (though a bunch of them are still working for us remotely). you see that the poor are supported by the wealthy and the government wants to squeeze the wealthy to pay for the large low income group. the problem with that is that you can lose 1 rich person whose taxes support 500 poor people and now that 500 gets spread among the remaining tax base. over time, it seems to be some sort of death spiral that isnt going to end well.

Old 08-01-2020, 06:16 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,473,841 times
Quote:

one thing i see in nyc is that it is very difficult for the middle class to do well here. there are a chunk of very wealthy and a very large poor population. middle class cant afford to live well here, poor are on public assistance. .
The core problem with the middle class is that they leave for surrounding areas with lower taxes. Once they leave all that's left are poor renters or rich home owners who can afford high taxes and paying for private school. But why do cities have higher taxes when you get the same or less for the taxes collected? Once cities get a certain size they develop a huge bureaucracy that even inner ring suburbs lack. The bigger city near me pays someone $150k per year to be a 'school system spokesperson'. They spend huge amounts of fuel and vehicle maintenance costs to bus poor kids across and entire county. I live in a mixed income inner ring suburb yet my taxes are less than half the central city.

Old 08-02-2020, 03:45 AM

Quote:
... the middle class is that they leave for surrounding areas ...

... bureaucracy that even inner ring suburbs ...

...I live in a mixed income inner ring suburb ...
A bit of a tangent here, but can you tell me, when they leave for the surrounding areas,
about how far do they go (inner ring, distant suburb, different town?),

and is there a generally accepted definition of inner ring suburb?

(I study this kind of stuff, as a tangent to studying preparedness, but have no formal education in it.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness