Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2020, 04:42 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,121,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Aww, don't worry about it.

It'll all be over after the election.
Doubtful.

Sunrise.BLM. ANTIFA.

Won't give up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2020, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Nothing, I'm all set.

I have plenty of flour and yeast, bees for making honey (sweetener and booze, and making bread), seeds, and thousands of pounds of lead and powder and reloading equipment.

I just got two more cases of peas delivered, no problem finding them. Had another 60lbs of flour delivered today, pounds of yeast on hand, plus more preserved in alcohol.

Gasoline degrades over time, I'm not counting on it lasting very long. Many horses are available nearby. In any event, there are tanker trucks less than 10 miles away, and numerous sources (storage tanks) within 3-10 miles, at least 100,000 gallons.

Diesel lasts longer, plenty of that, and vehicles available too.

But, if instant delivery was available, a couple of M1 Abrams tanks and 10,000 shells for the main gun might be nice.
How much yeast would I need for 100 pounds of flour

Old 07-31-2020, 04:56 PM

14,485 posts, read 12,114,400 times
Nice dinner in a restaurant. And a drink.

Old 07-31-2020, 07:17 PM

137 posts, read 120,606 times
Things like activated charcoal, medications/suture kit, good knives for hunting/cooking, and things I’d use but could also barter with like booze/coffee, hygiene products, and batteries.

Old 07-31-2020, 07:27 PM

1,651 posts, read 1,304,327 times
Apply to buy a gun.

Old 07-31-2020, 07:48 PM

3,057 posts, read 2,035,841 times
OP
Your question brought back my memory of the day I watched the twin towers hit by planes. Sat by myself in front of the TV in disbelief and went to the grocery store, don't know why, maybe to try and feel normal. Don't think I owned a cell phone or if I did it was for emergency only.

So what would I do if yet another disaster comes, the big one or maybe the biggest one? There have been so many (last 20 years of Florida hurricanes add up). Our food storage is higher but not 1 years worth, but seeds for 3 years bought, garden growing well.

The real crux is "knowing" that this time it's the real thing and there is no timeline of things getting OK.
We do not own a years worth of toilet paper, my husband resists so I may have to buy and hide it, a barterable item.
I would like to have solar chargers for important electrical items (phone, Ipads), have put off buying due to lack of urgency or maybe corona fatigue.

I should really buy a case of the wine I drink and some vodka. No loss if the disaster never comes.

Old 07-31-2020, 07:50 PM

3,057 posts, read 2,035,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
Apply to buy a gun.
You might start by looking up your state's laws, 2 hours (the question posed) may not fit in that plan.

Old 07-31-2020, 10:17 PM

35,076 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Two hours?

I'd head to the local gun shops and area outdoor retailers not to buy a weapon, but to find as many detailed area maps as I could possibly find. It's not the gun I would need so much as extremely detailed knowledge about certain areas. I'm an avid hiker and have good ideas about where the most defensible, inaccessible, and lightly trafficked areas are. I'd want more detailed knowledge to supplement what I already know from years of hiking and ridge running. I'd definitely prep a bug out bag to these locations, largely within thirty to sixty minutes of my home. From there, the closest college city would be an easy raid.

If the world didn't look like it was ending from some global cataclysm, I'd stay at home. I live in a condo community that has at least five law enforcement officers out of maybe fifty occupied units. These cops are on the HOA. Everyone here I know of is pro law enforcement. Many of us are gun owners. There has been no unrest here and no reason to believe we'd run into any local trouble. If there was major unrest, I could easily citizen groups teaming with local and regional law enforcement to restore order.

I think we're looking at major civil unrest coming over the next few years. I'm not a doomsdayer nor a prepper, and I think better days will come, but I would not want to be in a megacity now. With that said, Appalachia is not the region to start the garbage you see in Portland.

Here in Appalachia, there is a certain pride in circling the wagons with your own. There is definitely a certain bitterness in many circles for out of area opportunists (even Trump) trying to capitalize on us. That doesn't mean those people are Democrats or Republicans, but there is a strong suspicion of the rest of the nation here in these hills. I have a healthy of suspicion of Trump and even people like JD Vance.

Our state governments (NC, TN, VA, KY) don't do anything to pay attention to the Appalachian portion of their states.

We'd honestly be better off as the "State of Franklin" than dealing with the existing state governments. We'd be better off on our own than under the existing state system.

Old 07-31-2020, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
Apply to buy a gun.
In IL you'll receive your FOID card in about 6 to 10 months

Old 07-31-2020, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
OP
Your question brought back my memory of the day I watched the twin towers hit by planes. Sat by myself in front of the TV in disbelief and went to the grocery store, don't know why, maybe to try and feel normal. Don't think I owned a cell phone or if I did it was for emergency only.

So what would I do if yet another disaster comes, the big one or maybe the biggest one? There have been so many (last 20 years of Florida hurricanes add up). Our food storage is higher but not 1 years worth, but seeds for 3 years bought, garden growing well.

The real crux is "knowing" that this time it's the real thing and there is no timeline of things getting OK.
We do not own a years worth of toilet paper, my husband resists so I may have to buy and hide it, a barterable item.
I would like to have solar chargers for important electrical items (phone, Ipads), have put off buying due to lack of urgency or maybe corona fatigue.

I should really buy a case of the wine I drink and some vodka. No loss if the disaster never comes.
At least you have some food put away.

Clean water to drink and yes wine and vodka will help with anxiety too !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness