Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2020, 11:59 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,120,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Two hours?

I'd head to the local gun shops and area outdoor retailers not to buy a weapon, but to find as many detailed area maps as I could possibly find. It's not the gun I would need so much as extremely detailed knowledge about certain areas. I'm an avid hiker and have good ideas about where the most defensible, inaccessible, and lightly trafficked areas are. I'd want more detailed knowledge to supplement what I already know from years of hiking and ridge running. I'd definitely prep a bug out bag to these locations, largely within thirty to sixty minutes of my home. From there, the closest college city would be an easy raid.

If the world didn't look like it was ending from some global cataclysm, I'd stay at home. I live in a condo community that has at least five law enforcement officers out of maybe fifty occupied units. These cops are on the HOA. Everyone here I know of is pro law enforcement. Many of us are gun owners. There has been no unrest here and no reason to believe we'd run into any local trouble. If there was major unrest, I could easily citizen groups teaming with local and regional law enforcement to restore order.

I think we're looking at major civil unrest coming over the next few years. I'm not a doomsdayer nor a prepper, and I think better days will come, but I would not want to be in a megacity now. With that said, Appalachia is not the region to start the garbage you see in Portland.

Here in Appalachia, there is a certain pride in circling the wagons with your own. There is definitely a certain bitterness in many circles for out of area opportunists (even Trump) trying to capitalize on us. That doesn't mean those people are Democrats or Republicans, but there is a strong suspicion of the rest of the nation here in these hills. I have a healthy of suspicion of Trump and even people like JD Vance.

Our state governments (NC, TN, VA, KY) don't do anything to pay attention to the Appalachian portion of their states.

We'd honestly be better off as the "State of Franklin" than dealing with the existing state governments. We'd be better off on our own than under the existing state system.
I lost faith in trump as well. He's in on it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2020, 02:01 AM

7,650 posts, read 4,599,879 times
3 seats on a chartered plane. Can pay in USD, EUR or gold. (also credit card)

Old 08-01-2020, 05:55 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,884,678 times
Popcorn to watch TV as the national guard rolls in to restore order. Check my online banking, as by the following Monday some semblance of order in NYC will be forcibly returned and bills will be due as usual.

Old 08-01-2020, 07:03 AM

5,479 posts, read 2,119,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
You might start by looking up your state's laws, 2 hours (the question posed) may not fit in that plan.
...or reading the OP! It says you already have a stock of weapons and ammo!

Old 08-01-2020, 09:47 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,672,673 times
Post Amended answer: an airport tanker full of ethanol free "93UL" and all the STA-BIL® I can find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Quote:
A gasoline delivery truck full of hi-test.

Gasoline is one thing I don't like to keep on hand in substantial quantity.
Gasoline degrades over time, I'm not counting on it lasting very long.
Exactly why I don't currently have much gasoline. Propane keeps forever, Diesel is easy to store and won't blow up your house, but the fire marshal frowns on having hundreds of gallons of gasoline at home.

Good point -- I'll also need every bottle of fuel stabilizer in the region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Two hours?

I'd head to the local gun shops and area outdoor retailers not to buy a weapon, but to find as many detailed area maps as I could possibly find. It's not the gun I would need so much as extremely detailed knowledge about certain areas. I'm an avid hiker and have good ideas about where the most defensible, inaccessible, and lightly trafficked areas are. I'd want more detailed knowledge to supplement what I already know from years of hiking and ridge running. I'd definitely prep a bug out bag to these locations, largely within thirty to sixty minutes of my home. From there, the closest college city would be an easy raid..
That's a good idea -- if you hoard all the maps, the crowd that loots the gun stores post-TEOTWAWKI won't have them.

Old 08-01-2020, 11:55 AM

3,057 posts, read 2,034,410 times
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...oomsday-bunker

these millionaires have made their 2 hour decision as long as they can get there. 911 shut down a lot of airports for that 2 hour window and that protocol has probably been added to airports operating manual (guessing--anyone know?).

Old 08-01-2020, 11:59 AM

1,081 posts, read 548,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
Exactly why I don't currently have much gasoline. Propane keeps forever, Diesel is easy to store and won't blow up your house, but the fire marshal frowns on having hundreds of gallons of gasoline at home.

Good point -- I'll also need every bottle of fuel stabilizer in the region

That's a good idea -- if you hoard all the maps, the crowd that loots the gun stores post-TEOTWAWKI won't have them.
That's an interesting thought too... What do you destroy or disable as a strategy to ensure your own survival?

Old 08-01-2020, 01:53 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,875,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
Thanks for the reminder. 100 pounds of flower and no yeast!
If you don't have yeast, just make matzah. Hey, it worked for Israelites leaving Egypt. On a side note, the original matzah was more similar to corn tortillas or lavash. The hard, cracker-like texture is a more recent innovation.

Old 08-01-2020, 04:06 PM

1,108 posts, read 1,383,820 times
As a non-drug user, I'd buy the most amount of marijuana, cocaine, whatever drugs I can get. They will either help to deal with the pain after societal collapse, or as trade / barter.

This is a dumb question though. If an asteroid is coming to destroy the earth in 2 hours, might as well just enjoy the last 2 hours while you can.

If it's a nuclear war, pray you make it through the initial explosion and fall-out. Not much you can do.

These thought exercises are fun but useless in reality.

Old 08-01-2020, 04:12 PM

8,918 posts, read 4,649,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidAZ View Post
These thought exercises are fun but useless in reality.
There are lots of very informative threads on here,
so why not have one, just for entertainment, every now and then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness