Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2020, 10:00 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
I even finally found some chicks! Just got some turkey chicks yesterday too!!
------------

I can buy fresh ranch raised hogs from a neighbor for a lot less than it costs to raise them, so I'll probably get a couple, and maybe a lamb to just for variety.
I can get tons of produce cheap or by trade from the local Huttterite colonies to supplement what I grow. Various grains by the truckload too if I decide to buy a flour mill.
I discovered that I love turkey much better than chicken. Just a better, stronger flavor, more dark meat, makes a rich gravy, and the bird is much bigger. So we eat a turkey each week, and just a couple chickens each month. Good luck with your gobblers! I know you'll love them!

We also buy from other local farmers. I was surprised to learn that raw milk is not illegal in Maine! I had thought it was. My wife is having some osteoporosis issues, so we get the raw milk, plus butter, cheese, and yogurt made from raw milk. We had a milk cow a year ago, but sold her (good cow) as I dislike being tied down to a milker. Now I am free, but can buy the good stuff, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2020, 07:45 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,904,348 times
I don't know the answer to the OPs question, but I do know that the work involved in becoming self sufficient has kept me in much better shape than the potato that I was and added years of usefulness to my body. Yesterday I changed the alternator in my car, and being a modern car that is nearly impossible to work on it was quite the chore. I could barely finish because my arthritis was causing my hands problems making it hard to hold the wrench and at the end I was literally struggling to finish. I remember specifically thinking, "next time I'm going to pay somebody to do this". Today my hands are fubared. I think I have a few useful decades left in me, but there are going to be some things that used to come easy that I won't be able to do anymore. This is why community is important.

Old 08-21-2020, 08:26 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,434,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Lets face it... father time is unstoppable. Sooner or later health, age, eyesight, medical needs and just the physicality of it all takes it's toll. I'm not there yet but there are obvious signs of limitations on the horizon. I suppose a like minded community would be better, later in life than trying to go it alone and try and be totally self sufficient.

My limitations were mostly from my knees... and both of them have been replaced, so I'm good now, mobility is essential. However knee replacements don't last forever. I'm sure I've worn out another body part or two that hasn't reared it's head yet.
For me, personally, I draw the line at two boundaries:

1.) I won't let fear and prepping for a one-day-maybe occurrence take away from my life today. Not emotionally or financially. And not from what time I've got left, either. Sure, I'll save and invest. You can save money for anything, but I'm not spending my bottom dollar on a bunker and MRE's.

2.) I won't be so insistent on surviving that I end up setting myself up for an even slower and crueler death, a la some kind of uninhabitable scorched-earth scenario.

Old 08-22-2020, 04:31 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,581,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post

1.) I won't let fear and prepping for a one-day-maybe occurrence take away from my life today. Not emotionally or financially. And not from what time I've got left, either. Sure, I'll save and invest. You can save money for anything, but I'm not spending my bottom dollar on a bunker and MRE's.

2.) I won't be so insistent on surviving that I end up setting myself up for an even slower and crueler death, a la some kind of uninhabitable scorched-earth scenario.
So don't prep. Nobody's making you.
Just stay in your little bubble and let others that enjoy security and taking care of themselves and their families do that.

Don't get car, flood, or fire insurance, don't carry a spare tire, don't keep more than a days food in the cupboard. After all, you wouldn't want to be seen as a prepper.
Just enjoy your kale chips on the couch as you binge watch Hulu.
I know you'll be much happier feeling superior.

Old 08-22-2020, 04:42 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,581,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post

So don't prep. Nobody's making you.
Don't buy car insurance, or fire insurance. Don't waste your money on health insurance. Don't keep more than a days provisions in the cupboard, shop every day.
Don't carry a spare tire in your car or have a bottle of aspirin in your medicine cabinet because after all, you don't want to waste money on "prepping".

Why don't you do your thing and let folks that like being prepared for emergencies do theirs?

Old 08-29-2020, 09:44 AM

7,777 posts, read 6,387,704 times
My knees were replaced 16 and 14 years ago, doing fine. Some other things, not so good, teeth, back and hearing.

I keep a cane in the car in case I have to do any walking.

Old 08-29-2020, 10:27 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,810,543 times
Sometimes less about 'age' and more about the 'stage' of life we find ourselves in. As time has progressed I find my self less concerned out surviving and more about engaging, in life.
Certainly when the kids we living at home, I had more to be concerned about, especially preparedness, readiness. Now I'm more about peaceful sanctuary, with an increased tactical view. In addition what I could do by myself from the physicality standpoint, I need more tools and help, and I'm in darn good shape. My past involvement with the co-op has kept me connected to like minded folks.

However... Maintaining two locations is increasingly tough too ... since they're 800+ miles apart and as geographically different as can be.

Old 08-29-2020, 12:30 PM

8,918 posts, read 4,649,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
However... Maintaining two locations is increasingly tough too ... since they're 800+ miles apart and as geographically different as can be.

I am curious, as to why you keep the location in Florida.

Old 08-29-2020, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post

I am curious, as to why you keep the location in Florida.
Rural Florida is mostly agriculture and the living is easy. My property is adjacent to a 21000 WMA and co op'd pasture (cattle). It's very isolated from the urban coast. Hogs and deer abound. Plenty of small game. You can catch fish all day without much effort. Soil is rich and the grow season is 365. Most people can't take the heat, bugs, snakes, gators, rain with occasional (normal) seasonal flooding.

I raised my family here... it's home.

Some well known places near me for your viewing pleasure....

https://www.deseretranches.com/
https://adamsranch.com/

Old 08-29-2020, 07:17 PM

Here's an example of community .... it's always a blast! Look at the menu! Men only!

Wild Game Dinner is one of the biggest wild game event in the USA! A ticket will automatically enter you into the door prize giveaway. Great giveaway items such as Shotguns, Hunting Rifles, Outdoor Gear & lots more!

Top shelf open liquor bar and free flowing ice cold beer, both bottled and on tap. Dinner includes Jambalaya, Gator, Frog Legs, Pierre David Venison, Red Stag Venison, Catfish, Wild Hog, Elk Stew, Buffalo Chili, Swamp Cabbage, Sweet Corn, Adams Beef & more.

All foods groups will be prepared by local “best of the best” cooks with private recipes that should serve to please any palate.

https://wildgamed.com/home/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness