Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2020, 11:13 AM

3,288 posts, read 2,358,240 times

Advertisements

I do not own gold but I have been hearing it is good to have in case of the collapse of the dollar. I am confused why gold is a better investment. I would imagine that if one invests in gold, you don’t get gold in your hands you may get a statement. But if the economy collapses and we have a SHTF situation, what good is that paper statement? Am I wrong to think this way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2020, 11:23 AM

4,190 posts, read 2,508,104 times
I look back at the fall of Richmond in April 1865. The only thing that had value was food and liquor. If the dollar collapses, unless you have gold bullion, how are you going to access it if there is a societal collapse? And gold coins are not easy to carry around. Stick to beans, pork and whiskey.

Old 09-05-2020, 11:33 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,579,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
I do not own gold but I have been hearing it is good to have in case of the collapse of the dollar. I am confused why gold is a better investment. I would imagine that if one invests in gold, you don’t get gold in your hands you may get a statement. But if the economy collapses and we have a SHTF situation, what good is that paper statement? Am I wrong to think this way?
If you buy coins or bullion you can have the physical gold in hand. If you invest in futures, you have a certificate.

Investing in precious metals is a good hedge against inflation, but it's a very speculative market and buying at the wrong time or selling could cost you significantly. If you can buy at a good price and are prepared to hold it for a long time if necessary, you'll probably do ok, but you're always at the mercy of the market and can have a lot of money tied up.

For a SHTF scenario, silver coins would work better as they have a denomination on them and are a known weight for easy trading. Plus, as well as their metal value, in good times, collectable coins can be worth many times face value.

Planning for emergencies of all kinds is never a bad idea.

Old 09-05-2020, 12:24 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,487,112 times
Whatever you do, don't buy metals right now. Their prices recently took a big jump, meaning that whatever profit there was recently, has already been made. There is always a premium in physical metal between spot price and what you pay or receive, buying or selling. So you need to factor in that premium, which can easily wipe out your profit.

If you wish to hold physical metal, US Silver Eagles or Gold Eagles are always accepted for a good price, and a ready market. If you choose to own gold, purchase it "slabbed" (in a sealed plastic case with certification by a known grading entity). This will provide assurance for both buyer and seller that the coin is genuine and of a known grade.

If.I were you, I would wait until after the election.

Old 09-05-2020, 09:12 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,120,849 times
Don't bother with gold. Too expensive. What you want to do is get buffalo 1 ounce silver rounds. Premium is about 2.50 to 3$ over spot.

Its hanging around $26 to 28 an ounce now. It should go up.

Old 09-06-2020, 07:11 AM

3,288 posts, read 2,358,240 times
Thanks for the replies. I wasn’t asking for investment advice. I was just curious as to what would happen if the dollar collapsed and there were riots everywhere like in Seattle and other states. What good would a certificate with a dollar amount of gold be to anyone if they couldn’t cash it in I would think that it Has zero value.

Old 09-06-2020, 07:36 AM

7,687 posts, read 5,120,849 times
Quote:
Thanks for the replies. I wasn’t asking for investment advice. I was just curious as to what would happen if the dollar collapsed and there were riots everywhere like in Seattle and other states. What good would a certificate with a dollar amount of gold be to anyone if they couldn’t cash it in I would think that it Has zero value.
"Paper" metal or metal stocks are absolutely worthless. Its a ponzi scheme. You want to hold the physical metal in your home preferably hidden or in a safe.

It is alleged that there are 170 "paper" ounces of silver per actual physical ounce of silver. JP Morgan iSLV's ponzi scheme

Old 09-06-2020, 10:12 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,518,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
Don't bother with gold. Too expensive. What you want to do is get buffalo 1 ounce silver rounds. Premium is about 2.50 to 3$ over spot.

Its hanging around $26 to 28 an ounce now. It should go up.
That's good advice, and after reading that, I just picked up 20 rounds. Will probably get another 20 or so next month, and perhaps moving forward keep trying to increase my holdings each month.

Old 09-06-2020, 11:14 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,671,494 times
Talking $200 or so each for 0.10 ounce American gold eagle or Canadian maple leaf

Quote:
The goal of holding paper investments with their own value distinct from the US dollar is as a hedge against a massive drop in the value of the dollar, but short of TEOTWAWKI or full collapse.

That paper statement is pretty darn good to have if things go halfway wonky, the dollar loses most of its purchasing power but there's still an economy and a government and taxes to pay. Which frankly, is a more likely scenario than SHTF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
If you wish to hold physical metal, US Silver Eagles or Gold Eagles are always accepted for a good price, and a ready market. If you choose to own gold, purchase it "slabbed" (in a sealed plastic case with certification by a known grading entity). This will provide assurance for both buyer and seller that the coin is genuine and of a known grade.
Downside of "slabbed" items is the hefty premium (in both purchase price and storage space).

Quote:
Originally Posted by webster View Post
I look back at the fall of Richmond in April 1865. The only thing that had value was food and liquor. If the dollar collapses, unless you have gold bullion, how are you going to access it if there is a societal collapse? And gold coins are not easy to carry around. Stick to beans, pork and whiskey.
Gold is a heck of a lot easier to carry around than any other portable store of value in a time when nobody is going to care about your bank statement or have connectivity to make a trade on a bitcoin exchange.

For example, the â…’ oz American Gold Eagle is downright tiny, and retails for a bit over two hundred bucks each.

Last edited by Nonesuch; 09-06-2020 at 11:25 AM..

Old 09-06-2020, 11:20 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,943,866 times
Gold is finite unlike paper/coin currency because those two can just be created out of nothing.

Gold you can carry with you wherever you go. Gold like rare Earth Elements has industrial applications. Not saying gold is a rare earth element

Actually now I wonder why cant I carry around other rare earth elements instead of gold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness