Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2020, 09:41 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,859,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
There's no "shortage" at this time, however panic buyers are still clearing the shelves out, and due to just-in-time stocking, it can take a while for them to be refilled, making for a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Regarding poultry, if anything there's a surplus of American-sized turkeys this year, BJs and others are literally giving them away.
Thank you for identifying that missing puzzle piece. I never understood why stores couldn't just order more product from their suppliers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2020, 11:29 PM

19,750 posts, read 22,654,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Mostly beef in my freezers, but there's deer, elk, turkey and chicken too. Had to get another freezer, ( got 4 now), until I get the smokehouse built.
Got the pantry and a couple closets full of canned stuff, got about 400 lbs of spuds and 100 lbs of onions in the spare bedroom until I get the cellar dug.
Got around 500 lbs of flour tucked away, and probably enough dehydrated to last a couple months using it alone.

I want to get some more salt because I can't produce it easily, and it's cheap, but very necessary for pickling and corning, plus the cattle need a lot.

Otherwise, I think we're in pretty good shape for what's to come if the theft of the presidency goes through.

If nothing else, got a lot of traps and snares, a bow and arrow, and it's always farmer season if you're hungry .
500# of flour? Jesus. Someone offered me 50# and we refused. It'd go sour before we could use that much for 2.

Old 11-24-2020, 11:32 PM

Just a heads up- lot's of counterfeit Mason and Ball lids out there manufactured in China. That's our biggest issue right now. We have tons of food to can and are running low on lids. Hopefully they get stocks up soon.

Old 11-25-2020, 03:28 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,578,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
500# of flour? Jesus. Someone offered me 50# and we refused. It'd go sour before we could use that much for 2.
Store it right and it keeps. I usually keep wheat berries I can grind as they keep better, but I got a he'll of a deal. I bake all my own bread and biscuits as well as other baked goods I can trade, plus there are several older folks around here that can't always get to the store 40 miles away. A loaf of bread and a package of homegrown beef means a lot to them.

This is a community here and we help each other.

Old 11-25-2020, 05:02 AM

Just found this on another thread.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/h...d-19-persists/

Old 11-25-2020, 08:00 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,670,073 times
Unhappy Not a lack of food, just a lack of personal income to buy it with

At most maybe 30# of flour, haven't decided to pull the trigger on a bread machine, seems like the produce and bakery sections are the only real reason I "have to" go to the grocery store these days.

Quote:
Not a lack of food in stores, more the loss of personal income to buy it with, and to a lesser degree, rising prices.

Old 11-25-2020, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Store it right and it keeps. I usually keep wheat berries I can grind as they keep better, but I got a he'll of a deal. I bake all my own bread and biscuits as well as other baked goods I can trade, plus there are several older folks around here that can't always get to the store 40 miles away. A loaf of bread and a package of homegrown beef means a lot to them.

This is a community here and we help each other.
My wife has baked bread for 25 years. We eat 1 loaf every week. 50lbs is a years worth of bread!

Flour does go sour. We don't have freezer space to keep it so any 'extra' is bagged and sealed and kept in the cellar food pantry- but it get's an off taste if not used within 6 months or so.

Quote:
There’s nothing quite so pure and simple as the flavor of freshly milled whole grains. The grains’ mildly earthy nuttiness balances beautifully with their inherent sweetness, their aroma reminiscent of lazing in a green field on a warm summer day.

Unfortunately, the elusive flavor of whole grains begins to fade once the grains are milled. And without special care, whole grain flour can begin to taste insipid at best, and bitter as time goes on. How do you prevent this gradual degradation?

“Whole” whole grains — intact berries — have a longer shelf life than whole grain flour. With their germ intact, you can expect whole grains like wheat, spelt, or rye berries, or whole oat “groats” (berries) to stay fresh at room temperature for up to six months. Freeze them airtight, and they should be good for up to a year. An exception is buckwheat berries: buckwheat’s higher oil content shortens its shelf life to about two months on the shelf, four months in the freezer.
https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/blo...e-whole-grains

Old 11-25-2020, 08:31 AM

2,713 posts, read 2,212,297 times
We went to Walmart early yesterday morning in Gulf Coast Alabama and there were not any shortages that we noticed. We did not need tp and did not look, but we saw some in other buggies. We did buy an extra can or box of what we normally buy We heard spam was in short supply, but there were plenty there.

Old 11-25-2020, 08:39 AM

My wife went to the grocers earlier this week and that store was out of tp- unbelievable.

Oh well- I've got a Costco sized bag of shop rags. If tp goes missing again we can use them like reusable diapers. Wipe, toss in a 5 gal bucket with lid then wash and repeat.

It's really not that hard to figure out alternatives to wiping your buttocks, lol.

Old 11-25-2020, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
My wife has baked bread for 25 years. We eat 1 loaf every week. 50lbs is a years worth of bread!

Flour does go sour. We don't have freezer space to keep it so any 'extra' is bagged and sealed and kept in the cellar food pantry- but it get's an off taste if not used within 6 months or so.

https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/blo...e-whole-grains
Lately I've been making 1 -2 dozen loaves a week, plus dinner rolls, cinnamon/carmel rolls and about 4 dozen cookies a week.
A 50 lb bag doesn't last me very long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness