Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2020, 08:39 AM

3,070 posts, read 2,400,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
When I was in college I knew a girl who volunteered at a horse boarding farm in exchange they let her live & sleep in the tack room. Where she lived had no heat, the exterior walls had knot holes in them to the outside, the other 'room's were horse stalls [so you constantly heard any noises the horses made], the only running water was a cold water faucet that emptied into an open horse trough. I lived in a rented house across the street from the university, this girl would stop by my place every morning to use the bathroom and to have a cup of coffee before our first class. That girl was so excited to live in a horse tack room, she was in heaven.

Some people will decide to love things that the rest of us might think are unusual.
Understood--but the OP doesn't want to work and assumes living off the land doesn't involve work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
I just want to sell everything I own, stop working altogether, and go live off the land south of the border when this pandemic is over. Really, as an asexual aromantic man with no friends or family, why am I putting myself through the daily grind of work when I hate working? I could go live off the land some place tropical and probably be a lot happier.

Old 12-06-2020, 01:13 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
I think it is really sweet that you think that countries in South America will let you move in, squat on someone else's property, and take someone else's food or wildlife. Or any other country south of our southern border, for that matter. All of those countries control immigration. None of those countries have much of a sense of humor., or much of a reasonable legal system.

The equator passes through three countries in South America. They are Ecaudor, Columbia, and Brazil. Those countries aren't very safe places to live. You might look into the political situation before you start packing your stuff.

The Big Island of Hawaii, Puna area, is probably the best solution. If you have the money to buy a couple of acres, you could become vegan and grow all the mangoes, avocados, bananas, coffee, cocoa that you could eat. It doesn't get cold, so you could live under a blue tarp, or better yet, buy land that has a lava tube to live in. At least until you couldn't pay property taxes and got the land taken away from you.

Old 12-07-2020, 05:32 PM

3,070 posts, read 2,400,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
The equator passes through three countries in South America. They are Ecaudor, Columbia, and Brazil. Those countries aren't very safe places to live. You might look into the political situation before you start packing your stuff.
Those countries aren't very keen to take in immigrants who are likely to end up down and out, either. Resident visa requirements vary, but this site says you need a citizen spouse, a significant business interest, four-year degree in an approved field, or adequate funds if you're a retiree.

Old 12-08-2020, 09:08 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post

As far as AC and heating, I only really use heating if the temperature is below 30, and I really only use air conditioning if the temperature is above 85. Coastal areas don't have temperature extremes, nor do equatorial highlands.
You could not be more wrong. I'm not at the equator but South Florida and even at night in the summer the temps do not drop below 79 degrees and the daily high is mid nineties with triple digit heat indices.

Old 12-09-2020, 07:12 AM

16 posts, read 10,493 times
You're in a fantastic area to learn to garden, hunt, fish, trap, keep chickens, etc - give it a shot.

When you see how much work (and money) it involves, you'll likely change your mind.

Others have stated the logistical & legal obstacles you'd face moving to S. America (as well as issues pertaining to, perhaps, even life itself!) so I won't bother to reiterate.

Get sunshine, take Vit D, leave off the junk food, exercise. Maybe (as someone else mentioned) think about a different career.

Or go teach in sunny Arizona or New Mexico.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

Old 12-09-2020, 07:37 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlligatorAnny View Post
You're in a fantastic area to learn to garden, hunt, fish, trap, keep chickens, etc - give it a shot.

When you see how much work (and money) it involves, you'll likely change your mind.

Others have stated the logistical & legal obstacles you'd face moving to S. America (as well as issues pertaining to, perhaps, even life itself!) so I won't bother to reiterate.

Get sunshine, take Vit D, leave off the junk food, exercise. Maybe (as someone else mentioned) think about a different career.

Or go teach in sunny Arizona or New Mexico.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

I read the whole thread to see if anyone else would mention it, and they have not (exactly). I think you should buy a camp in one of the swamps in Louisiana. You can get REAL remote on the weekends, which maybe will satisfy your itch.

There's a part of me that would LOVE to live in the swamp. It's beautiful.

Old 12-13-2020, 11:28 AM

1,609 posts, read 1,600,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I read the whole thread to see if anyone else would mention it, and they have not (exactly). I think you should buy a camp in one of the swamps in Louisiana. You can get REAL remote on the weekends, which maybe will satisfy your itch.

There's a part of me that would LOVE to live in the swamp. It's beautiful.
Ooh, especially south louisiana near the coast. I'm as much a boater as wannabe homesteader. I love time on the water.

This year has been an especially bad year. Future years will probably be tolerable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness