Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2021, 06:20 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Picket Fence View Post
Amen to that.

I'm moving into a house 90 minutes away, at the edge of a smallish town. It has a well and septic, and while my nearest neighbors are close, we can't see each other, plus the house is nearly invisible from the road. Both the real estate agent and the home inspector I used had driven by it countless times over the years, and never knew there was a nice little house back in there! And that's just the way I want it.

I have an acre that has mostly lawn and some scraggly old shrubs right now, with a strip of woods along the road. I've been interested in permaculture for a long time, and am going to spend this year starting the transformation of this rather barren-looking place into a lush, edible landscape, as well as getting needed work done on the house (chimney capped properly, single-pane aluminum windows replaced, house painted, some minor electrical and HVAC issues addressed).

The place is fantastic, with so much potential, and in a wonderful location, and it feels like the right place to be; as soon as my offer was accepted I felt my anxiety drop. So whatever may hit the fan this year, I'm just going to hunker down and work on my house and garden, and get to know people in my new hometown.
Are you going to let it "grow wild" or bring in things that suit your desire?

I am wary of invasive species and right now, I am in the mind mode to keep this place as a nature preserve. It may be a defence against others trying to take the land, through means such as bureaucratic, though I haven't filed anything with the county.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 01-18-2021 at 06:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2021, 06:59 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
As someone who leans a lot in the prep direction but there is still so much left to do, like catfish-crawdad pond,.....

...........what is missing from your life of this kind that you still need to do?
The hydraulic pump on my tractor recently died. I need to get it re-built.

That is about everything.

I volunteer a lot and I serve on too many committees. But I am not ready to drop any of them yet.

Old 01-18-2021, 11:32 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
As someone who leans a lot in the prep direction but there is still so much left to do, like catfish-crawdad pond,.....

...........what is missing from your life of this kind that you still need to do?
For over 7 lustrum we have happily lived on the forested mountain, 80 acres with a year round creek, artesian springs (storage tank), a bass pond.
Sometimes on evenings when the air feels comfortable i go night fishing & catching craw dads to put in my bass pond, to keep up a healthy population. I catch some with traps (leave them out a day or two, with a can of tuna or cat food in the trap). I get a kick out of putting a bit of nightcrawler on a hook, yank about 75 in & put them in a 5 gallon plastic bucket with water. If they will be in bucket 1, 2 days i use a battery operated air pump, so the c dads stay healthy.
I also go catching bull frogs with a fair sized net on a long pole. Put them in a minnow box. Put them by/in my pond when i get home, to keep up a good population. Sometimes i catch tadpoles.
Once in a while a turtle comes to live in the pond, on its own accord.

Every now & then a Bald Eagle/ Osprey/Great Blue Heron/hawk take a few fish from the pond.
Such is the way of Nature...

Old 01-19-2021, 11:51 AM

8,918 posts, read 4,652,086 times
Well, when the crap began to hit the fan, one of the first things that got damaged was part of my intel network, and a couple communications channels.

I have had to replace two of my intel sources, and reroute one comm channel.
Still working on building three other channels. In the end,
I will have one more source, and two more channels, than I started with.
Seems like the sound of the feces hitting the oscillating device woke a couple of my peers.

Quote:
....what is missing from your life of this kind that you still need to do?
Still working on a supply cataloging system, and an intel cataloging system.
Still need to get a better secure channel up and running.

Old 01-21-2021, 02:55 PM

915 posts, read 1,625,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Sounds like a Hutterite Colony just without the black jackets and floor length skirts

Laughing quietly (want to be a proper Hutterite - perhaps I should simply chortle.)

Old 01-21-2021, 05:12 PM

661 posts, read 521,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
Disagree.

It was lit during the Obama administration years. He was a vindictive president against those he didn't like.

It's a combination of social medias increasing influence, the media being exposed and discredited for pushing a political agenda. Social media is a huge cause in this mess.

Everything that is happening now is a reaction to that.

Hey, did you get out of WNY yet, man?

Speaking of which, communication without relying on apps or internet would be easier, the shorter the distance.

Old 01-22-2021, 05:36 AM

8,918 posts, read 4,652,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
Disagree.

It was lit during the Obama administration years. He was a vindictive president against those he didn't like.

It's a combination of social medias increasing influence, the media being exposed and discredited for pushing a political agenda. Social media is a huge cause in this mess.

Everything that is happening now is a reaction to that.
The final slide towards oblivion began in the summer or fall of 2006.
With help from some scattered fraud, the people, having tired of
being prosperous and free, chose that Nov to become impoverished and enslaved.

(And, yes, those are the correct dates.)

I can trace the actual decline all the way back to the 50's, without any problem, and with some work, to many years before that. One oddity was that the marxists tried to get George Orwell to help them, as he was an influencer, but he refused, remarking "they must not have read what I have written."
McCarthy Was Right: There Were Communist Infiltrators in America! - Liberty Hangout

Old 01-22-2021, 09:28 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
I bet I can find at least one thread in this forum, each month since this sub-forum was first deployed (ten years?), proclaiming that "the crap has hit the fan".

Old 01-22-2021, 11:20 AM

1,562 posts, read 2,795,897 times
Yet you can’t stay away.

Old 01-22-2021, 12:44 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Looking forward to my investments in the market doing well in the next several years. Just watch out for the asset inflation, I would hate to be trying to buy a house right now in any remotely desirable area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness