Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2021, 04:43 PM

8,918 posts, read 4,649,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post

Until then, I did get a nice pellet rifle with a very nice trigger and pretty accurate that is nice to just go to a bench in my back pasture and kill paper with.

So far, there's not a real shortage of pellets, and I buy tins of 250, and a lot of them. Plus, I don't really need ear muffs to shoot comfortably. I've been looking for a good pellet pistol, but haven't found one I like yet, but I'll keep looking.
What caliber pellet rifle do you have?

For many years I thought they only came in .177 and .22, until someone enlightened me, showing me they come in at least a half dozen calibers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2021, 05:28 PM

17,574 posts, read 13,350,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
I think it was Guns and Ammo magazine I saw today. the cover said "shoot it up" and had several calibers and shells on the cover. "They'll make more".

My advice to anyone right now and for the future is to NOT shoot ammo. Keep it safe. Store it dry. Get a video game or an app for target practice. Dry fire.

Conserve your ammo. It will be gold in the future.

I posted an article on a gun site that intervened the CEO of a large ammo manufacturer and he said ammo shortage will continue through 2021 (probably well into 2022)

Old 02-04-2021, 05:39 PM

17,574 posts, read 13,350,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
For those people who have not lost all of their guns and ammo in a boating accident, yet...

I wrote a paper a few years back, advocating that you should always gear your practice consumption so that you never have less than three years of practice ammo. In other words, if you practice once a quarter, you should not expend more than 12% of your remaining supply, each time. If you practice once a month, you should never expend more than 2.75% each time. Unless you have tens of thousands of rounds, I think it would be better to go the quarterly route, and do some dry fire practice and other exercises, in between.

Now, I wonder if anyone from that scuba school found any of my stuff at the lake...

We bought a SERT laser Glock 17 and the software for practice.

I haven't fired a live round in a year

Old 02-04-2021, 07:16 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,579,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
What caliber pellet rifle do you have?

For many years I thought they only came in .177 and .22, until someone enlightened me, showing me they come in at least a half dozen calibers.
22. Nice for plinking, it'll take out a gopher with a head shot, but the ammo is cheap. I like the 22 better than the 177 just because it does work on small varmints where the 177 doesn't have the energy.

I've shot .30, .45 and .50 caliber air rifles. Impressive, but too spendy for my wallet.

For the money I prefer a nice bow.

Old 02-04-2021, 07:20 PM

50,290 posts, read 47,032,885 times
I've reloaded for what seems forever as I lived in the sticks and win mag ammo was hard to find and expensive. Now I've had the presses running again since the anti gun theme started with the shootings. I have either enough ammo, or components to last my lifetime and probably my kids.

Ammo shortage? What's that? Too bad all my guns got burned down in a typhoon.

Old 02-04-2021, 07:21 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,950,661 times
Quote:
I'm afraid a tornado took mine, so the munchkins in Oz are well armed now.

I use archery tackle a lot for big game and slingshots for small game and varmints, so since I can make arrows and use them over and over, (I shoot recurve and longbows so I don't need composite arrows), it really helps with the ammo shortages, but keeps my eye in for firearms when someone loans me a gun of course.

It sounds kinda strange, but even shooting rocks through my slingshot at a gopher works the concentration and hand eye coordination. Just being out shooting whatever you have helps exercise muscle memory and technique so if we can ever get to the point where we can just enjoy shooting without worrying it may be the last time, we'll still have our old skills.

Until then, I did get a nice pellet rifle with a very nice trigger and pretty accurate that is nice to just go to a bench in my back pasture and kill paper with.

So far, there's not a real shortage of pellets, and I buy tins of 250, and a lot of them. Plus, I don't really need ear muffs to shoot comfortably. I've been looking for a good pellet pistol, but haven't found one I like yet, but I'll keep looking.

MT - Story for you. We occasionally get pigeon problems. Awhile back one was sitting on my back patio wall. I got my wrist rocket and a pretty hefty ball bearing. I missed the damn bird by a foot, hit my block wall, denting it, the bearing bounced back about 40 feet across the yard and shattered the $60 globe on one of my patio fans!

Old 02-04-2021, 07:26 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,579,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
MT - Story for you. We occasionally get pigeon problems. Awhile back one was sitting on my back patio wall. I got my wrist rocket and a pretty hefty ball bearing. I missed the damn bird by a foot, hit my block wall, denting it, the bearing bounced back about 40 feet across the yard and shattered the $60 globe on one of my patio fans!
Ooops!!

Know your target and beyond....

My worst was a riccochet that went almost exactly 90 degrees left after hitting the dirt, travelled nearly 50 feet and took out a headlight on the ranch truck.

Didn't even get that rabbit for dinner.

Old 02-04-2021, 07:47 PM

4,904 posts, read 2,056,126 times
Yeah, I've done good on keeping my stock of ammo at a comfortable level, prior to 2020 AND buying whatever I can find. I.ve definitely cut back on shooting to conserve my ammunition since May/June, when "I" started to see all the craziness hit my location.

Anyway, I'm hoping to hit the range within the first week of March and go through 200rds of 9mm and 100rds of .45... Maybe 50rds of .38.

I'm not knocking those lasers or other training devices, but for me, retired Army and retired Law Enforcement, "I" need to actually shoot a firearm to consider "myself" training.

Not knowing the future of the ammunition supply for the civilian market or if there will be some massive tax on ammo, in the near future, I'm still in my conserving mode and probably go shooting only 2-3 times a year for awhile.

You know its crazy when Russian "steel case" .223 is going for a dollar a round... At least in my part of the country!!

Old 02-04-2021, 09:47 PM

50,290 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Ooops!!

Know your target and beyond....

My worst was a riccochet that went almost exactly 90 degrees left after hitting the dirt, travelled nearly 50 feet and took out a headlight on the ranch truck.

Didn't even get that rabbit for dinner.
Oof I was swinging on a ditch pigeon as a kid with my 410 and touched off on it right as it passed some old tractor tires we had stood up for a cow rub. All the pellets that hit it came back about the same speed. That was not pleasant but lesson learned.

Old 02-05-2021, 09:49 AM

4,704 posts, read 25,299,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
Maybe he is referring to shooting beanie babies
I was actually referring to what people were saying about Beanie Babies when they were a hot item. "Going to worth tons in the future", "Don't take the labels off"....
I was just poking a little fun at what people think is going to be worth tons in the future. Its not always what you think it might be, despite all the logic applied to the reasoning.

Case in point, on a backpacking ice fishing trip, the person that sharpened my auger blades put them on backwards. We had nothing to take off the lock nuts holding them on. I had all the fuel, matches, food, etc I needed, but did not have a wrench to remove the lock nuts. A wrench would have been worth gold to me at the time.

Something is only worth a lot if someone else needs it, and there is a short supply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness