Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2021, 05:38 PM

98 posts, read 61,856 times

Advertisements

A heaping two quart sauce pan of snow only equals about 1/4 in of water when melted. Less than an 1/8 of an inch when poured into a toilet. Took hours to be able to flush again. Perfect timing. Because man I've got to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2021, 06:33 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,573,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laid-Back View Post
A heaping two quart sauce pan of snow only equals about 1/4 in of water when melted. Less than an 1/8 of an inch when poured into a toilet. Took hours to be able to flush again. Perfect timing. Because man I've got to go.
Snow is about 90% air and 10% water. Ice is about 90% water and 10% air.

Choose ice to melt if you have it.

Old 02-18-2021, 10:41 AM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Quote:
Bears don't "go" in the woods in the winter. They form an anal plug while hibernating, and don't relieve themselves until spring. Just sayin'....

Old 02-18-2021, 04:09 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,482,288 times
Quote:
That's what happens when you hire a dame from Michigan to head up ERCOT. She has no clue.

Old 02-19-2021, 09:59 PM

Well I believe I have a clue but I can tell you I was caught totally off guard by this. I've got a nice list of changes I have to make now. This will never happen to me again.

Old 02-20-2021, 12:43 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,915,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
That's what happens when you hire a dame from Michigan to head up ERCOT. She has no clue.
It's what happens when a state removes themselves from the national power grid, so they aren't as prepared for emergencies.

Old 02-20-2021, 05:54 PM

Today I crawled under my wet and muddy house (I live in a "mobile home") to turn off my water inlet valve. Then I went and turned my water meter back on. I turned it off on the 16th because I woke up to 11 inches of snow, -2 degrees, and my water had froze and burst under my house.

Since I turned my house off now it seems there are no leaks between the meter and house.
I now have access to water at three faucets in the line before my house. One is right outside the back door so I'm good on water again.

I do not believe the media is telling the true death toll in all of this.

There are tons of dead people.
Then there are people who were scared and in danger, but survived.
There were people who were scared they were going to die but were not really in danger.
Then people like me who were never in danger and never afraid that we were. But we were miserable.
I don't like miserable.

Old 02-21-2021, 06:16 AM

8,924 posts, read 4,632,086 times
Quote:

I do not believe the media is telling the true death toll in all of this.

There are tons of dead people.
Well, it isn't that they are trying to hide it,
they just haven't found all the bodies, yet.

I would say, if Texas has less than 1000 dead, they got off lucky.

Old 02-21-2021, 12:19 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
What I'm taking away from this story is that a 2 quart sauce pan is the largest pan you own?

Old 02-21-2021, 02:10 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,563,161 times
Well, that weather is pretty much unprecedented in Texas so no surprise that people were unprepared. It sounds like plumbing issues are the biggest problem, since homeowners will have to deal with repairs themselves as opposed to a utility co. bringing power back online. That's where I'd focus my efforts, like having an easily accessible main shut off and insulating exposed pipes, or changing to Pex which is less susceptible to bursting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness