Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2021, 02:28 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times

Advertisements

https://pointbelow.com/products/ligh...39299939696687

When I first saw it, I was thinking it was all self contained but found that the solar powered feature is if you have a solar grid. But that's not a problem, I do!

And having two of them, I know that the solar feature is really the last preferred option because it takes a great big solar grid to get enough energy to run anything. They are really meant to be USB powered up and then use the sun to top them off. That solar power total charging is possible but you need a lot of sun time to do it.

So, thoughts to this, something else to go with the Swiss Army knife and the magnesium bar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2021, 03:19 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,573,379 times
Honestly, I prefer firestarters like the fire piston or a magnifying glass.

Don't get me wrong, I use whatever is most convenient whether it's a match, a lighter or a blowtorch. But in my down and dirty, there may not be a resupply option scenario, I'm not a huge fan of a lighter that may or may not be fully charged when I need it.

I usually carry butane lighters for daily needs, but I have Zippos stashed in my packs and vehicles because butane has to vaporize to work, and it doesn't vaporize under 30 degrees Fahrenheit. So when you really need it, it might not work. Zippo lighters don't have that problem, and you can refill them, and you can use several different fluids and it will still work. Yes the flints wear down, but you can carry several spares in a tiny Ziploc bag in the fuel chamber. Plus, a little bit of the fiber in the chamber works great as a tinder in an emergency.
I carry several ways to start a fire in my packs and pockets, and I can use bow drills or flint and steel, a fire plow, or several other methods if I have to, I don't like taking chances since I live in such a cold state.

Electric lighters work, and they're clean, and pretty cool. If you want one, go for it.
I would just have trouble depending on it if it were me, but I would for sure carry the magnesium bar.

Old 09-03-2021, 03:30 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,175,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
...Zippo lighters don't have that problem, and you can refill them, and you can use several different fluids and it will still work. Yes the flints wear down, but you can carry several spares in a tiny Ziploc bag in the fuel chamber. Plus, a little bit of the fiber in the chamber works great as a tinder in an emergency...
^ THIS
For emergency supplies, I'm wary of any devices that require electricity (and particularly batteries) to work - the exception being dynamo-powered flashlights - those I really like.

Old 09-03-2021, 03:31 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,944,809 times
Just buy some Bics at the Dollar store.

I think those arc ones are mainly for people who can recharge them regularly and want something cool. And if that's you buy it and enjoy. But if it's for long term storage and emergency use I'd stick to the Bic.

Like MTSilvertip I also have a couple of zippos. They make little aluminum fuel bottles about the size of your thumb so spare kerosene doesn't evaporate. I also agree with the magnesium bar.

A problem with the Bics is I have not found a way to secure them to my little survival lanyards that we carry around our necks in the wild, sometimes... They need a place to connect a ring or something. The zippos with the fuel holder are too much stuff dangling around your neck so I stuck them in the go bags.

Old 09-03-2021, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Just buy some Bics at the Dollar store.

I think those arc ones are mainly for people who can recharge them regularly and want something cool. And if that's you buy it and enjoy. But if it's for long term storage and emergency use I'd stick to the Bic.

Like MTSilvertip I also have a couple of zippos. They make little aluminum fuel bottles about the size of your thumb so spare kerosene doesn't evaporate. I also agree with the magnesium bar.

A problem with the Bics is I have not found a way to secure them to my little survival lanyards that we carry around our necks in the wild, sometimes... They need a place to connect a ring or something. The zippos with the fuel holder are too much stuff dangling around your neck so I stuck them in the go bags.

Well, let's approach it from a different angle for a moment. If you had one of those cool lighters......would it be one of the first items on the table for bartering? You know, carrying around that bag of trinkets to trade with the natives.

Old 09-03-2021, 04:18 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,573,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Well, let's approach it from a different angle for a moment. If you had one of those cool lighters......would it be one of the first items on the table for bartering? You know, carrying around that bag of trinkets to trade with the natives.
Good use for it. People are suckers for anything they think is cool, no matter how impractical.
You may get a couple boxes of ammo for it!

Old 09-03-2021, 04:25 PM

3,253 posts, read 1,739,106 times
When all else fails, there's "strike anywhere" matches.

Old 09-03-2021, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver 47 View Post
When all else fails, there's "strike anywhere" matches.
Except when those run out and there is no resupply.

I carry a stock of those in the emergency whistle case and they are good to have but.......if one is believing in "when all else fails" situations.....what happens when the whistle is lost crossing the stream? One ought to have multiple options.

Old 09-04-2021, 05:06 PM

3,253 posts, read 1,739,106 times
Quote:
Except when those run out and there is no resupply.

I carry a stock of those in the emergency whistle case and they are good to have but.......if one is believing in "when all else fails" situations.....what happens when the whistle is lost crossing the stream? One ought to have multiple options.
Ferro rod, pocket knife & the skill to use them. Also started more than one campfire in my day with a firebow. I'm all set.

Old 09-04-2021, 10:26 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,944,809 times
Quote:

As it happens we recently had a garage sale. I had a vintage lighter that sold quick, I forget price, I probably sold too low. And I have a Minox "spy" camera that nobody even looked at. My mother's costume jewelry was so-so. I sold a Rolex look alike right off, but the Timex's are back in a box.

And had an odd experience. Guy came by asking if we had any scrap gold or gold fillings to sell.

I think now is a good time to sell extra stuff. People still have money and they still want nice stuff. Also most of what we sold wouldn't be any good in a collapse type situation. Like I sold my old film cameras, worth thousands for $200, and glad to get it.

I think lighters appeal to certain types. Smokers obviously, but with discriminating taste. The quack heads will flic a bic. Zippos are popular with servicemen, or they were 40 years ago. Arc lighters may be in demand I don't know. I think in a SHTF event people just want a light, they won't care about style.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness