Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2022, 04:51 PM

2,452 posts, read 1,680,959 times

Advertisements

Hope this is the right place. Figured many here stock up on meat.

Every year to help save money and have some food built up 3 of us split 1 cow and 1 pig. We have been doing this for many years. I noticed a big increase in both pork and beef prices over the last 2 years after being fairly steady over the previous 8 years .

The price per pond is hanging weight. Beef $2.70 and Pork $1.70 Processing total is about $1 a pound and they do an excellent job of packaging and cutting everything the way you want it.

My share is 1/4 cow 181.5 pounds hanging weight and 1/2 pig 86 pounds hanging weight. My total cost was $957.35 for my share. This includes a $25 delivery fee since the farmer we buy the cattle and pigs from lives 60 miles from the locker.

Anybody else have anything butchered lately and if so what does it cost in your area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2022, 06:00 PM

19,750 posts, read 22,661,296 times
Whole hog for us, butchered which includes bacons, 1 ham, breakfast sausage and kielbasa will be right at $400-425. That's a 250-300# hog.

We don't buy beef, other than an occasional tri-tip. We eat a lot of venison and I butcher and process all that myself.

Old 11-09-2022, 11:52 AM

2,452 posts, read 1,680,959 times
Do most of you raise and butcher your own meat or stock up on sales at the grocery store?

Old 11-09-2022, 12:09 PM

455 posts, read 306,514 times
I raise beef and goats, but buy hogs and mutton from some neighbors, and I hunt and fish. I butcher my own, I even bought a meat saw and grinder at an auction, so taking care of my own is pretty easy.

I have a smokehouse to cure bacon and ham, and I corn some beef too.

It's just me that I'm working for, so I can do whatever spices I want and whatever cuts I like.

The last time I went to a professional Meatcutter, I only got back about 1/2 the meat I should have.

Been doing my own ever since.

Old 11-09-2022, 02:31 PM

19,750 posts, read 22,661,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
Do most of you raise and butcher your own meat or stock up on sales at the grocery store?
I don't raise any animals. I do have 4 bird dogs though. My wife and I have a garden large enough to supply most of our vegetable needs for the two of us. Our two adult kids do raid my freezer and canned goods from time to time, lol.

2-3 deer and a hog pretty much feeds us throughout the year as far as meat goes. I get my hogs from a Hutterite Colony and a guy in Choteau MT butchers it for me. I do take the head, liver and all the bone scraps and fat. I make my own panhaus (scrapple). I get quite a few birds during the year. We usually wind up with 18 pheasants, 12-24 grouse, more goose than I care to eat too, so no reliance on chicken, other than an occasional whole bird roasted or something like that.

Old 11-10-2022, 06:11 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,807,317 times
I'll have to wait to spring when we get out beef portion. My family buys the whole animal(s), pasture finished on our land, but we only do grass fed. In addition I/we buy 'other' meat too. My costs are sustainably less then retail, but here's the retail PDF.

https://www.floridafreshmeat.com/wp-...etail_2015.pdf

Old 01-08-2023, 06:51 PM

1,063 posts, read 907,865 times
Jan2023:
$4.00 to $11.00 hanging pound beef.
depends upon your desires:
breed? grass-fed? organic?...
jumped 25% from last year.

Old 01-09-2023, 02:29 AM

5,407 posts, read 3,600,460 times
we get all our meat straight from the farm, good price and excellent quality, delivered monthly to our front door.

Old 01-09-2023, 11:48 AM

334 posts, read 181,681 times
I'm a big proponent of D.I.Y. However, no matter how hard I try, I just can't get the hang of this butchering thing.

Old 01-09-2023, 02:33 PM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
When I raised my own meat, I produced superior meat and I had an excellent butcher who knew how to age met and process it correctly.

My experience with buying animals from other producers is that they have raised the animal economically so it isn't any better than the meat I get from the grocery store. Some of the private butchers don't do a good job. It's not worth it to me to spend twice what the meat costs in the market and to have it not be any better.

When I raised cattle and pigs, I fed them for premium flavor and I got that premium flavor, but it is an expensive way to raise a meat animal. People raising livestock for a profit are not feeding that way.

I butchered my own poultry and have the plucker and everything needed to do it. It's lots of time and money to raise first rate chickens.

Besides the chicken ducks and geese, I would butcher pigs and rabbits, but beef has to hang and age for 2-3 weeks, so that would go to the custom butcher because I didn't have a good place to hang it. Because it costs money to hang beef in a temperature controlled environment, most of the custom butchers would not hang the meat for long enough. They want it out of the cooler and cut and wrapped and their money in their pocket. When I would buy a side, the seller never wanted to pay the higher cost for the good butcher, so the meat wouldn't be processed as well and there was one butcher in the area well know for not returning all of your meat.

If I did the butchering myself, I would do a better job (minus cattle, which got sent out)

Id don't know how much they are charging now for kill fee and cut and wrap. But like everything else, I'm sure the price has gone up rather steeply.

Last edited by oregonwoodsmoke; 01-09-2023 at 02:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness