Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2023, 01:12 PM

45,046 posts, read 60,086,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
You can't have it both ways. Either it's a trailer, licensed as a trailer, paying annual registration (and excise taxes in some jurisdictions) or it's a house, paying property taxes.

I don't suppose you've bothered to consider how clean drinking water and sewage disposal are magically going to present themselves on your el-cheapo land with your travel trailer.
I already mentioned the water and sewage issue to him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2023, 09:47 AM

32,539 posts, read 47,619,487 times
Yes, lots of cheap land, but cheap for a reason: no water, too much water, no buildable site, septic won't perc, no road access, nasty smelling next door neighbor, contaminated soil, something that makes it unsuitable as a place to live.

Old 06-02-2023, 10:09 AM

37,296 posts, read 61,076,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Yes, lots of cheap land, but cheap for a reason: no water, too much water, no buildable site, septic won't perc, no road access, nasty smelling next door neighbor, contaminated soil, something that makes it unsuitable as a place to live.
Many times people have told me that they would never migrate to my area because we experience Winter.

I rather like experiencing all four seasons.

Old 06-03-2023, 01:58 PM

4,386 posts, read 4,819,355 times
When I started shopping for acreage on the Big Island of Hawaii in 2010 one could still score land for $5k/acre. COVID changed that, but prices are still relatively inexpensive. Property taxes are also some of the lowest in the country, though a few years ago they did raise the minimum yearly bill to $200.

It takes a lot less land to produce food in the tropics, so less land is needed. You can get 5 seasons of corn in one year.

Old 06-03-2023, 02:04 PM

37,296 posts, read 61,076,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
... Property taxes are also some of the lowest in the country, though a few years ago they did raise the minimum yearly bill to $200.
That it's interesting. I have always been told that property taxes are high there to match the COL.

I have 150 acres of woodlot, taxed $1.05 an acre.
On this property, I have a house with a total footprint of 5400 sq ft that is taxed $600 a year.

Old 06-03-2023, 02:09 PM

927 posts, read 750,682 times
Big Island is in the volcano path. And you can't buy volcano insurance.

Old 06-03-2023, 02:14 PM

48,405 posts, read 34,546,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
That it's interesting. I have always been told that property taxes are high there to match the COL.

I have 150 acres of woodlot, taxed $1.05 an acre.
On this property, I have a house with a total footprint of 5400 sq ft that is taxed $600 a year.
Hawaii is the state with the lowest property tax.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-06-2023, 09:38 PM

4,386 posts, read 4,819,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norman_w View Post
Big Island is in the volcano path. And you can't buy volcano insurance.
I'm not sure what you mean. The Big Island is essentially made up of volcanoes. And yes, you can buy insurance. We have a 3/3 on 3 acres and our hazard insurance is about $35/month and that includes a rider for hurricane damage (the lender requires hurricane coverage even though we are too far inland and uphill (about 800 feet) for storm surge to be an issue).

There are lava zones where people have been cautioned not to build where insurance is more expensive. But it's still available.

But since you brought it up, I will try to illustrate: The combined casualty experiences in the history of Hawaii related to volcanoes have destroyed about 1,000 structures. 10,000 structures were destroyed by wildfires in California in a single year (2020).

Old 06-06-2023, 10:38 PM

6,748 posts, read 4,730,971 times
I'm going out on a limb and say, yes. There's cheap land available, but it's probably not great. The more desirable an area, the more expensive. We had friends that retired to Kansas. We couldn't believe how inexpensive houses were. But there was nothing to do and decent grocery stores were 50 miles away. Later they moved to North Dakota because they had family there. Maybe it all depends on what you are used to.

Old 06-07-2023, 02:25 AM

5,371 posts, read 3,559,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
You can't have it both ways. Either it's a trailer, licensed as a trailer, paying annual registration (and excise taxes in some jurisdictions) or it's a house, paying property taxes.

I don't suppose you've bothered to consider how clean drinking water and sewage disposal are magically going to present themselves on your el-cheapo land with your travel trailer.
water and sewage arent a problem, I lived on what to you would be a small plot of land out in the countryside, water came from the river and sewage was a hole in the ground, of course there was only one person and needs were minimal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness