Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2023, 02:14 PM

1,197 posts, read 527,858 times

Advertisements

I am an older female with a car (no truck) and a back yard that is not that easy to get stuff into (slope, stairs, etc.).

I want to purchase a generator and someone told me Costco has good, affordable generators.

I don't know if Costco would deliver that item and if they did, if they would just dump it off and then I'd have to figure out how to move it.

Then, I assume I would have to hire two different kinds of people to get it up and running. Someone to move it into my back yard (does it have to be covered by something?) and then an electrician to get it going (which I guess also includes purchasing gas, etc.???)

Am I on the right track?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2023, 03:23 PM

4,935 posts, read 3,044,617 times
You have a number of options, from gas to natural gas to solar.
Judging by your posting, you wish to power the entire home; or can you get by with only a refrigerator and a window AC unit?. One must also take into account how long they think they'll need to use the system. Even with fuel stabilizer added, gasoline only has roughly a 1 year shelf life.

Costco does deliver, but their selection on these products is limited.
Electrician shouldn't run you more than $500, if this would be an entire home system; which run roughly $5K.

Old 06-19-2023, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
You have a number of options, from gas to natural gas to solar.
Judging by your posting, you wish to power the entire home; or can you get by with only a refrigerator and a window AC unit?. One must also take into account how long they think they'll need to use the system. Even with fuel stabilizer added, gasoline only has roughly a 1 year shelf life.

Costco does deliver, but their selection on these products is limited.
Electrician shouldn't run you more than $500, if this would be an entire home system; which run roughly $5K.
Thanks for your response. What does your $5k estimate include? Just the unit? or???

It would be used to power On Demand Water Heater, Gas Heater, Refrigerator, Gas Stove. No A/C.

Thank you

Old 06-19-2023, 04:26 PM

7,322 posts, read 6,919,546 times
It's hard to answer a question so vague there are so many things to consider and confusing if your not of mind to it.
You need to know all that you need to have running all at once to know the limits of the generator you need.
Never buy cheap or barely big enough. starving an appliance can hurt both.
Anything that has a motor is going to demand more energy starting , up to 3 times the listed amp rating.
If you only have the power to run the frig don't start the air conditioning. they both use a motor and both start at random.
Amps X volts = watts.
Secondly , if you want to run the power to the established circuits of the house you will need an electrician to wire things correctly so that you are not powering the neighborhood, or hurting some one working on the wires down the line somewhere.
In your case it might be best to find an electrician that does these installations and check out his references for past installations.

Old 06-19-2023, 05:49 PM

455 posts, read 305,449 times
Consider what fuel you'll need too.
Gas or diesel goes bad over time and you need to keep a fresh supply.
Connecting to natural gas takes care of that problem, but if there's an earthquake or the line is damaged, you're SOL.
Propane doesn't go bad and stores well, and is very clean burning, plus you can keep several tanks easily, or depending on where you live and projected use, you can get bulk tanks if you think you'll need to use it a lot.

Remember to change the oil after every 200 hours of use too.

Old 06-19-2023, 06:32 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,893,246 times
"It would be used to power On Demand Water Heater, Gas Heater, Refrigerator, Gas Stove. No A/C."

If the water heater isn't electric, nothing on your list uses a lot of electricity because your primary energy source appears to be gas. The electricity is just used to turn them on and off, more or less. Your refrigerator probably uses about 100 watts when running and maybe around 700 watts during the defrost cycle. You could get by with a small inverter generator that will fit into your car and can probably move yourself. They are quieter than other types of generators and use less fuel too. A Honda 2200 watt inverter generator weighs about 45 pounds and is approximately 16x20x11 inches. It has a running voltage of 1800 watts. The 2200 is the startup surge it can handle. Some inverter generators can be connected to each other to double the power output.

If your water heater IS electric, then you're going to need a beast of a generator. It will weigh over 300 pounds and you'll need a truck to get it from a store.

If your gas oven is a newer model, EPA requirements means it will have an electric "glow rod" that wastes around 700 watts when using the oven (but probably not the top burners). You'd have to check your specific model.

Not knowing anything about your home, I don't know if you can power all those things with extension cords. If not, you'll need an electrician to install a power inlet from the generator with an interlock kit. Depending on where you live that might require a building permit. An electricity-savvy handyman could also do the job and maybe doesn't know anything about permit requirements.

Old 06-20-2023, 06:32 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,482,288 times
I will give you the same advice as I gave my own wife, and the methods I used to set up for her. If you are buying a portable generator, get yourself a metal garden wagon, the oversized type with the metal mesh botton. Doesn't matter if it comes with the sides or not. These can be had for $100 or less at any store that sells lawn and garden gear.

When they deliver the generator, have them unbox it and set it up in the wagon. Yes, I know it may come with its own wheels, but those are tiny and difficult to maneuver over grass or uneven ground. Then again, it may not come with its own wheels, and they'd want to charge you extra for them. I would decline that, as the garden wagon will be so much easier to move.

Next, I would recommend an electric start model. These have a battery, and are as easy to start as your car. They usually have a pull cord also, if you need it. But I cannot see a woman outside in a storm that causes an outage, trying to struggle with a pull starter.

Third, find someone who will come and service your generator once or twice a year, and during emergencies. Just like your car or lawn mower, generator engines need regular oil and filter changes, and spark plugs, along with battery charging or replacement if you get a battery model. Sometimes the pull cord breaks too, if you do not get one with a battery.

I recommend a gasoline model, if you can get a couple of red gas cans for it, to fill up at your local gas station. Add Sta-Bil to it, and as you get close to a year, dump it into your car's gas tank (it will burn fine there) and refill the cans with fresh gas. Look into some of the dual-fuel generator models, like the Champion brand line, that run on gasoline and propane. Just be aware that running on propane or natgas will reduce your power output.

As for leaving it outside all the time, only standby generators come with a housing that protects them from the weather (they also need a concrete pad to sit on). I assume you are looking for a portable generator, which is less expensive and can be moved around. Either way, it should be kept dry. Portable models can be covered by a tarp or plastic cover. They tend to deteriorate quickly though, so it's better if you can wheel the genset into your garage, shed or barn, if you have any of these.

Old 06-20-2023, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
"It would be used to power On Demand Water Heater, Gas Heater, Refrigerator, Gas Stove. No A/C."

If the water heater isn't electric, nothing on your list uses a lot of electricity because your primary energy source appears to be gas. The electricity is just used to turn them on and off, more or less. Your refrigerator probably uses about 100 watts when running and maybe around 700 watts during the defrost cycle. You could get by with a small inverter generator that will fit into your car and can probably move yourself. They are quieter than other types of generators and use less fuel too. A Honda 2200 watt inverter generator weighs about 45 pounds and is approximately 16x20x11 inches. It has a running voltage of 1800 watts. The 2200 is the startup surge it can handle. Some inverter generators can be connected to each other to double the power output.

If your water heater IS electric, then you're going to need a beast of a generator. It will weigh over 300 pounds and you'll need a truck to get it from a store.

If your gas oven is a newer model, EPA requirements means it will have an electric "glow rod" that wastes around 700 watts when using the oven (but probably not the top burners). You'd have to check your specific model.

Not knowing anything about your home, I don't know if you can power all those things with extension cords. If not, you'll need an electrician to install a power inlet from the generator with an interlock kit. Depending on where you live that might require a building permit. An electricity-savvy handyman could also do the job and maybe doesn't know anything about permit requirements.
Thank you so much. You gave me many things to think about. I don't know about the water heater, but think it must be electric, as there's no pilot light - it's outside. Thanks also for your recommendation for the smaller unit and the note about extension cords.

Old 06-20-2023, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
I will give you the same advice as I gave my own wife, and the methods I used to set up for her. If you are buying a portable generator, get yourself a metal garden wagon, the oversized type with the metal mesh botton. Doesn't matter if it comes with the sides or not. These can be had for $100 or less at any store that sells lawn and garden gear.

When they deliver the generator, have them unbox it and set it up in the wagon. Yes, I know it may come with its own wheels, but those are tiny and difficult to maneuver over grass or uneven ground. Then again, it may not come with its own wheels, and they'd want to charge you extra for them. I would decline that, as the garden wagon will be so much easier to move.

Next, I would recommend an electric start model. These have a battery, and are as easy to start as your car. They usually have a pull cord also, if you need it. But I cannot see a woman outside in a storm that causes an outage, trying to struggle with a pull starter.

Third, find someone who will come and service your generator once or twice a year, and during emergencies. Just like your car or lawn mower, generator engines need regular oil and filter changes, and spark plugs, along with battery charging or replacement if you get a battery model. Sometimes the pull cord breaks too, if you do not get one with a battery.

I recommend a gasoline model, if you can get a couple of red gas cans for it, to fill up at your local gas station. Add Sta-Bil to it, and as you get close to a year, dump it into your car's gas tank (it will burn fine there) and refill the cans with fresh gas. Look into some of the dual-fuel generator models, like the Champion brand line, that run on gasoline and propane. Just be aware that running on propane or natgas will reduce your power output.

As for leaving it outside all the time, only standby generators come with a housing that protects them from the weather (they also need a concrete pad to sit on). I assume you are looking for a portable generator, which is less expensive and can be moved around. Either way, it should be kept dry. Portable models can be covered by a tarp or plastic cover. They tend to deteriorate quickly though, so it's better if you can wheel the genset into your garage, shed or barn, if you have any of these.
This is such great advice! I would have never thought about a wagon. Brilliant! The gas thing makes me nervous. I can't see myself dealing with that - but I think the duel-fuel idea is great. Thank you!

Old 06-20-2023, 10:39 AM

4,511 posts, read 5,048,411 times
You might want to take a look at the power supply they are selling on QVC and I think on HSN too. It's a battery pack that you charge from an outlet and it holds it's charge for 6 months. It seems that it would be sufficient for what you want. It also can come with a solar panel to use for charging. It's around $1000 but it seems like what you are looking for.

This is the unit: EcoFlow DELTA Max 2000Wh Portable Power Station with 15 Outlets
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness