Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 02:36 AM

164 posts, read 516,190 times

Advertisements

For those preparing/storing food for natural disasters...

Do you have multiple locations for your supplies?

What if a natural disaster happens and the location of your supplies gets damaged? Say, a tornado or an earthquake causes heavy rubble to squash the location of your food supplies?

My food items I mostly keep in my pantry. I have a mini kit in the trunk of my car, but it doesn't have much food in it.

I have some things in our travel trailer, which we have to store off site (our condo association / neighborhood association doesn't allow RVs to be stored). We have such high heat in the summer, though, that I don't think its practical to store food in the trailer.

The town I live in doesn't have a history of large earthquakes nearby, luckily, so I'm thinking I'll be okay with the food in my pantry. My condo is on the 2nd floor, my garage is right underneath.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 06:29 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,397,404 times
Long term food storage: My latest quest lol. We've got a bunch of canned foods (regular, little "can-can sale" type cans). As for rice and grains, that sort of thing that one day we might need large quantities of we're going to use 5-gal pails (now that I know, I'll be heading to the bakery for their frosting containers and stop buying the pails new). Here's some very interesting video on long-term storage. This guy had this food stored since 1992 or something like that; I haven't had time to watch the whole video but there are several that I'm anxious to see:

YouTube - delta69alpha's Channel

p.s. we've got our storage food in our basement stored on shelves between the studs, right outside what would be our "safe room".

We don't have another location for storage--we have a piece of land down south but there's no house there; if something happens here and we're going to go there, we'll have to add our food to bins and bring it along.

Old 07-10-2008, 07:13 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,344,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gradco2004 View Post
I definately need to do that now. Anyone who lives in Florida knows all too well how they can price gouge during hurricanes; and that's if you can even find food. I have went into Publix many times during hurricane season, only to be greeted by empty shelves! I couldn't imagine an actual food crisis. Scary.
Yeah, mine has more to do with hurricane season then rising food costs. I caught a sale at Sam's on water about three weeks ago and I now have about 5 cases of bottled water in my pantry. I don't really stock pile food but if something goes on sale that I know we use a lot of then I'll load up on it.

Old 07-10-2008, 07:45 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,288,460 times
I was seriously asking about the Luna or other type protein bars. Seems like that would be a lot easier to deal with than beans?

Old 07-10-2008, 08:33 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,701,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Nah - I'm so far out in the rural area - we will survive.

And, that day ain't coming -

And, if "it" does - we will survive - I have my own water supply - my own electric supply. I can go in the hills behind me and do a little huntin'

And, while everyone else is out panicking - I'll be by the pool having an adult beverage or two
Can I have your coordinates for a fall back position?

Old 07-10-2008, 11:18 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,397,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
I was seriously asking about the Luna or other type protein bars. Seems like that would be a lot easier to deal with than beans?
Sorry for the non response I don't know about those items; however, I have read that for a long-term crisis, bars like that are 1. Low in calories, which are needed for "real" survival situations, and 2. Gonna get tiresome real fast lol!

But, for your "BOB" (bug-out-bag, emergency supplies for a couple days) I don't see why they can't do just fine...as well as for a snack in your long term storage, if they'll last okay! Variety would be good if there's a crisis lasting more than a couple weeks and the spam, beans and rice are getting boring

Old 07-10-2008, 11:21 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,288,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
Sorry for the non response I don't know about those items; however, I have read that for a long-term crisis, bars like that are 1. Low in calories, which are needed for "real" survival situations, and 2. Gonna get tiresome real fast lol!

But, for your "BOB" (bug-out-bag, emergency supplies for a couple days) I don't see why they can't do just fine...as well as for a snack in your long term storage, if they'll last okay! Variety would be good if there's a crisis lasting more than a couple weeks and the spam, beans and rice are getting boring
Thanks. You never know...

Old 07-10-2008, 12:22 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,197,274 times
The beauty of living in my area is that we don't worry about tornados, earthquakes, hurricanes, flooding. An ocassional wildfire perhaps - but, thats about it.

Old 07-10-2008, 12:54 PM

164 posts, read 516,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
The beauty of living in my area is that we don't worry about tornados, earthquakes, hurricanes, flooding. An ocassional wildfire perhaps - but, thats about it.
Um, hate to burst your illusions, my friend, but you get earthquakes - take a look at the map of recent California/Nevada activity:

Recent Earthquakes in California and Nevada - Index Map (http://www.data.scec.org/recenteqs.html - broken link)

Still, you're probably in my situation where there is no major faultline near enough to you that you can sleep easy. The earthquakes I've experienced at my current place have been like:
Me: Honey, was that an earthquake I just felt?
Husband: Huh? I didn't feel anything.
Me: I think the chandelier is swaying a tiny bit. (I get online to look at the earthquake map) Nope, it was nothing.

My relatives back in Illinois and Indiana say I should move back home to get away from the earthquakes, but I'm more afraid of the tornadoes and high humidity they get back there.

I still like to be prepared though. :-)

Old 07-10-2008, 01:03 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,197,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artful-Thang View Post
Um, hate to burst your illusions, my friend, but you get earthquakes - take a look at the map of recent California/Nevada activity:
Oh - I understand the fault lines - but, the Phoenix Metro area (nor the Las Vegas Valley) has ever had damage caused by earthquakes - particularly damage that would render buildings and facilities untenable.

I am not one to "never say never" but, I'm certainly not going to dwell on this possiblity - now, if I was in LA I would - Phoenix area? NOPE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness