Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2008, 10:50 AM

411 posts, read 1,165,645 times

Advertisements

I know I have asked a lot of questions on this subject and I have another one. So there won't be so many threads, if I have any more questions after this, I will ask them here.
My next questions are about sidewalk vents. What are they there for? Where does the heat that they blow come from? Do all of them combined make an urban area hotter? Do they have to be there? If you don't know what I'm talking about, here's a pic (from flickr):
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2008, 03:57 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,242,684 times
They look like subway vents in NYC.

Old 10-19-2008, 05:18 PM

what are they for though? Where does their heat come from? If subway stations were airconditioned, would they have to be there?

Old 10-19-2008, 08:41 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,469,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City_boi View Post
what are they for though? Where does their heat come from? If subway stations were airconditioned, would they have to be there?
The stations are not air-conditioned, only the subway cars themselves are.

The exhaust fumes and the heat have to rise up above ground, and that happens through these vents. The subways are hot and smelly and all that stuff needs to go somewhere .

Old 10-19-2008, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
The exhaust fumes and the heat have to rise up above ground, and that happens through these vents. The subways are hot and smelly and all that stuff needs to go somewhere .
Ah, that makes sense!! But I thought I've seen those things in places that don't have subways. Could they just be water drains??

Old 10-20-2008, 07:46 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,503,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City_boi View Post
Ah, that makes sense!! But I thought I've seen those things in places that don't have subways. Could they just be water drains??
Some buildings have equipment underground (boilers, air conditioners, you name it) that need venting or a source of air. Also utilities that run underground sometimes need venting to keep from overheating, or making things very miserable for workers.

Old 11-10-2009, 06:35 PM

1,272 posts, read 2,373,862 times
Grates are there to supply air to the subway systems that run underneath.
Recently in NYC they began elevating some of the grates to avoid rain run-off going down into and causing floods in the subways.
Here's a link to what they look like....weird huh?
Just how great are the new subway grates? :: Second Ave. Sagas | A New York City Subway Blog
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness