Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 09:07 AM

717 posts, read 1,955,042 times

Advertisements

Anyone familiar on this board with Glock products? I'm considering purchasing another handgun and am leaning towards a reliable semi-auto that requires minimal maintainance. I'm qualified expert with my .44 and .357 revolvers; now I'd like to obtain a good semi that is not overly costly or tempermental. Any suggestions you guys????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 09:43 AM

908 posts, read 2,853,808 times
Glock is the gold standard for reliability. It just works, every time. I just picked up a BERSA .40 and my buddy has a S&W .40 that he added a Glock to. My BERSA is tight. I was warned on the forums that it would take about 300 rounds to get things smooth. My buddy's S&W took about 100 rounds to get smooth. We put a couple boxes through the brand new Glock without a single hiccup. It's surprisingly light, which is nice for a concealed carry state, but it leads to recoil. It's controllable, but you need good technique for top results. The trigger pull was heavier, but the safeties are passive so that's part of the safety in a way. Over-all we were really impressed. It was kind of un-noteworthy for it's perfect operation. Show up, put a couple boxes through it, put it away. 'nuff said.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:43 AM

464 posts, read 1,157,543 times
And I had a question or two as well.

I want to get a hand gun, {nope don't have one now } but one for use and safety both. In the house and outside. And yes, just in case I'd need to shoot....dare I say it?! A rattler or the like. OR one of those rabid foxes that keep popping up and attacking folks in the southwest.

I'd heard something in all of this on the news, to use Bird-shot in a hand gun for snakes and that. Never heard of that before! Is this true/possible?

And so then, would Bird-shot kill an animal the size of a fox too?
But then for say,'home-invason' I know bird shot would not help Would need to switch it out.

So along with dracul's Q, can ya'll help me too

Thank You!

Tia Dalma

Old 11-11-2008, 09:52 AM

1,938 posts, read 4,750,453 times
I don't own any type of gun currently and haven't owned a handgun in about 30 years, but a knowlegeable friend
strongly recommended the CZ-75 40 caliber, especially for trail protection.

CZ 75 Compact .40 S&W (http://www.cz-usa.com/product_detail.php?id=63 - broken link)

I still haven't made up my mind about buying a gun for many reasons; the main questions being

A) Do I actually need one?
B) Am I more likely to save my tail or get my tail deeper in fecal matter with one?

Been debating that for several years...

Old 11-11-2008, 10:08 AM

717 posts, read 1,955,042 times
That CZ looks sweet. I like S&W products generally. I prefer double action and ambidextrous grips actually. I'll check out that BERSA as well. Thanks for the heads up! .40 cal is a perfect compromise for weight/handling/stopping power considerations.

Old 11-11-2008, 10:09 AM

TiaDalma, The only birdshot loads I've ever heard of are for shotguns or .22's. I guess you could use the .22's in a pistol, but between the short barrel and pitiful amount of shot, I can't imagine it'd be very accurate (the long barrel of a rifle or shotgun helps naturally 'choke' down the pattern of the shot and gives you a longer (more accurate) reference for aiming.). You mentioned around the house. Unless you really wanted to pack your weapon around town I would recommend a small shotgun (like a pump action 20ga.). Very reliable. Ammunition is relatively cheap and easy to find. If you could see the amount of shot in a 20ga cartridge compared to a .22 round you'd also see how your effective accuracy would go up. Make sure you take a gun safety course and get comfortable with your new weapon. The first time you're excitedly bolting out the door to get a varmint is not the time to figure out your safety and loading/firing mechanisms.

Disclaimer:

***The preceding message in no way endorses the injury, killing, or use of unnecessary foul language against snakes or snake-like creatures. In addition, we advocate the safe removal and re-population of smaller creatures including but not limited to: flightless birds, rock marmots, sloths, orangutans and antropies.***

Old 11-11-2008, 10:12 AM

The general consensus these days is that .40 is the perfect defense calibre. compact package allowing magazine capacities comparable to a 9mm but with the stopping power of a .45. A plus for me was that a .45 was always a bit of a stretch for me, but my .40 fits like a glove. And if the glove fits, you must... oh wait, that's different.

Old 11-11-2008, 10:20 AM

9 posts, read 26,525 times
Thumbs up I'm a trained expert in weapons.

The Glock product line is one of the most accurate and user friendly on the marked. I would recommend the 44 model 96. It is used for security applications. I enjoy the dirty harry effect without the broken hand. round capacity and fire rate are optimal . I enjoy that it can be fired with optimal drop power and minimal kick back. Good for situations where immediate restoration of security is a must.. I'M an armed guard. police prefer the 9 millimeter. It has deep penetration with limited immediate effect...

Old 11-11-2008, 10:38 AM

502 posts, read 1,380,269 times
Glock makes a pretty reliable handgun but they are far from the top of my list of handguns to own. I've owned several and always ended up getting rid of them.
One of the big issues is when they break, and yes they do beak. When a glock goes down then it's a pain to get them repaired. Not something the average person can fix on the spot. As oppsed to something like a 1911 model handgun. Just about any part can be replaced in a 1911 while your on the range. Parts are also easy to get for the 1911 models as opposed to the glocks.
The other problem I have with the glocks is that the grips don't fit my hand worth a darn. Aftermarket grips don't exist for the glocks but you can get a rubber finger groove slip on for it.
If I were to go out today and buy another handgun and wanted it to be a semi auto I would most likely go for the CZ-75 or one of the "clones" I've owned several over the years and they work well, aftermarket grips are easily avaliable as are spare parts.
But, I have to admit that when it all comes down to my favorite handgun they are all revolvers;-)

Old 11-11-2008, 10:57 AM

502 posts, read 1,380,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by globalView View Post
The Glock product line is one of the most accurate and user friendly on the marked. I would recommend the 44 model 96. It is used for security applications. I enjoy the dirty harry effect without the broken hand. round capacity and fire rate are optimal . I enjoy that it can be fired with optimal drop power and minimal kick back. Good for situations where immediate restoration of security is a must.. I'M an armed guard. police prefer the 9 millimeter. It has deep penetration with limited immediate effect...
I'm not sure if this post was meant as a joke to a serious thread or what
Glock neither makes a model 96 or any handgun in 44 cal

If your truly interested in a glock then you might take a look here as they have all the model numbers and calibers that have and are avaliable.
The Glock FAQ [Glock Model Guide]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness