Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 04:26 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,161,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu101 View Post
Sorry, those things sound boring, except maybe gardening. I'll wait awhile before I go to doomsday mode.
Quote:
How do you go off the grid if you live in a condo?
Quote:
How do I go off the grid in 7 days or less?
Quote:
I agree. I'm certainly not buying seeds and trying to grow my own food. I've got more important uses of my time!
Growing food is fun. If you have no space for gardening outside, you can grow a few things by the windows, and you can grow sprouts (easy and delicious).

If you ever need to go off the grid in your condo (perhaps you can't afford utilities during a period of unemployment), you would need to find a way to keep cool if you get very hot weather where you are in Florida. I don't know much about keeping cool in muggy weather without a fan or airconditioning, other than sleeping under wet sheets. Perhaps buy a lot of silk clothing. You'd have to investigate other tricks.

You should have basic camping gear like a propane stove to cook on and a few 20 lb canisters of propane.

LED flashlights, LED lanterns, and LED headlamps, plus tons of batteries, might see you through a few years' lighting.

You'd have to locate a supply of fresh water, in case tapwater stops flowing or becomes toxic from a hurricane (unlikely, have a plan just in case), and have some stored. A camping water purifier would be good. You'd have to haul water up by hand to flush the toilet with.

These are precautionary steps, of course you should do as Nepenthe says for now, but it's good to have a plan of action if things go really bad.

Or even to become extremely frugal in ways that don't compromise your quality of life right now. It wouldn't hurt to learn how to cook things from very basic, cheap staples that could be bought in bulk. You might also buy a Costco card, which would help you save money even without any disaster happening. The less money you spend on your personal life even in good times, the more money you have for investment. Or whatever.

Let's take toilet paper for example. Maybe now you get a 4 pack of Cottonelles down at the 7 Eleven when you're about to run out. The cost of that over a year's time might be quite large. But maybe you could go down to Costco and get a few month's supply of something acceptable, for maybe a quarter of the price per roll. Then stick it in a closet, it won't go bad.

Or instead of going to Starbucks every day and spending $5-10 on lattes, you could buy Starbucks bean coffee at Costco and make it yourself, which like gardening is rather fun.

Each of these, and dozens of other things, is a very small cost saved that doesn't reduce your quality of life, but when applied to many expenses in your life add up to significant savings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 04:32 PM

1,509 posts, read 3,083,398 times
Thanks. Let the good times roll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Growing food is fun. If you have no space for gardening outside, you can grow a few things by the windows, and you can grow sprouts (easy and delicious).

If you ever need to go off the grid in your condo (perhaps you can't afford utilities during a period of unemployment), you would need to find a way to keep cool if you get very hot weather where you are in Florida. I don't know much about keeping cool in muggy weather without a fan or airconditioning, other than sleeping under wet sheets. Perhaps buy a lot of silk clothing. You'd have to investigate other tricks.

You should have basic camping gear like a propane stove to cook on and a few 20 lb canisters of propane.

LED flashlights, LED lanterns, and LED headlamps, plus tons of batteries, might see you through a few years' lighting.

You'd have to locate a supply of fresh water, in case tapwater stops flowing or becomes toxic from a hurricane (unlikely, have a plan just in case), and have some stored. A camping water purifier would be good. You'd have to haul water up by hand to flush the toilet with.

These are precautionary steps, of course you should do as Nepenthe says for now, but it's good to have a plan of action if things go really bad.

Or even to become extremely frugal in ways that don't compromise your quality of life right now. It wouldn't hurt to learn how to cook things from very basic, cheap staples that could be bought in bulk. You might also buy a Costco card, which would help you save money even without any disaster happening. The less money you spend on your personal life even in good times, the more money you have for investment. Or whatever.

Let's take toilet paper for example. Maybe now you get a 4 pack of Cottonelles down at the 7 Eleven when you're about to run out. The cost of that over a year's time might be quite large. But maybe you could go down to Costco and get a few month's supply of something acceptable, for maybe a quarter of the price per roll. Then stick it in a closet, it won't go bad.

Or instead of going to Starbucks every day and spending $5-10 on lattes, you could buy Starbucks bean coffee at Costco and make it yourself, which like gardening is rather fun.

Each of these, and dozens of other things, is a very small cost saved that doesn't reduce your quality of life, but when applied to many expenses in your life add up to significant savings.

Old 10-06-2008, 04:44 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,951,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jco View Post
My husband has been saying he needs to get a gun for years, so it looks like that's in the near future, too.
What kind of gun is he going to buy?

Old 10-06-2008, 05:05 PM

673 posts, read 2,716,772 times
Quote:
You won't grow enough to support yourself or your family. You might be able to have a garden. But you need good soil and appropriate seeds and local planting schedules and water and fertilizers and pesticides and security. Otherwise don't count on your garden.

Old 10-06-2008, 07:19 PM
jco jco started this thread

2,121 posts, read 6,451,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
What kind of gun is he going to buy?
I don't know, but my little whisper on his shoulder (ha, ha) would say: revolver...

Old 10-06-2008, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaauger View Post
You won't grow enough to support yourself or your family. You might be able to have a garden. But you need good soil and appropriate seeds and local planting schedules and water and fertilizers and pesticides and security. Otherwise don't count on your garden.
Even an indoor herb garden and a few potted tomato plants, spinach, carrots would be good for some supplemental nutrition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jco View Post
I don't know, but my little whisper on his shoulder (ha, ha) would say: revolver...
A lot of people prefer the simplicity of a good old-fashioned revolver, but there are good reasons why every law enforcement agency and military unit in the entire world has gone to semiautomatic pistols.

It's not all that much more difficult to learn how to use, strip, and clean a semiauto pistol, but you can fire many times the number of bullets in a given time than a revolver. Reloading a pistol is as easy as swapping out a magazine (assuming you have several load magazines at hand), while reloading a revolver is slow and cumbersome.

You usually get 6 shots with a revolver, before you have to fumble around for more cartridges to load it with. A Glock 17 has 17 rounds before you need to reload quickly with another magazine.

Glocks are the most reliable of semiauto pistols in ordinary price ranges. They come in a variety of calibers and sizes, you might want to get one of the smaller, more concealable models.

Old 10-06-2008, 08:59 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,969,306 times
Quote:
Even an indoor herb garden and a few potted tomato plants, spinach, carrots would be good for some supplemental nutrition.

A lot of people prefer the simplicity of a good old-fashioned revolver, but there are good reasons why every law enforcement agency and military unit in the entire world has gone to semiautomatic pistols.

It's not all that much more difficult to learn how to use, strip, and clean a semiauto pistol, but you can fire many times the number of bullets in a given time than a revolver. Reloading a pistol is as easy as swapping out a magazine (assuming you have several load magazines at hand), while reloading a revolver is slow and cumbersome.

You usually get 6 shots with a revolver, before you have to fumble around for more cartridges to load it with. A Glock 17 has 17 rounds before you need to reload quickly with another magazine.

Glocks are the most reliable of semiauto pistols in ordinary price ranges. They come in a variety of calibers and sizes, you might want to get one of the smaller, more concealable models.
I thought Glocks were the ones that liked to explode in your hand

I'm a sig p250 guy myself

Old 10-06-2008, 11:11 PM

You may be thinking of a Saturday Night Special, View? Glocks are perfectly reliable.

Sig Sauer is probably a better design, but they also cost a lot more. I'm too cheap to buy a new one, but maybe I'll get a deal on a used one some day.

Old 10-07-2008, 04:31 AM

The Sigs are nice pistols, but I'm more of a Kimber fan.
Woof you should post a link to the videos the guy made where he buries the Glock in sand & dirt & it still fires.

Old 10-07-2008, 06:25 AM

Here are some links to help y'all with your preparedness planning.
SurvivalBlog.com
End Times Report - Home Page
BeforeTheStormHits.com Send to Your Friends
Frugal Recipes and Low Cost Meals | Hillbilly Housewife
Daily Kos: State of the Nation
set2survive - preparedness & survival links
Island Sky® water-making machines * ...like drinking rainwater®
Welcome to The Ark Institute
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness