Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 10:45 AM

1,509 posts, read 3,082,979 times

Advertisements

And that man who covered his whole house in duct tape after 9/11.

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownnola View Post
Remember back in late 1999, people were counting down the days until Y2K. Remember all of those people stocking up on flashlights, candles, food, water, generators, guns, ammo, etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 11:22 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,272,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
I think there is something called manifest destiny.
I think if we say that the banks will run out of money, then everyone will try to withdrawl their cash, and they will run out of money.
I think if we stop the fear mongering then everything will be fine.

Example: The DOW fell yesterday to a four year low. People are acting like that's the end of the world. Did I miss something? Doesn't that meant that 5 years ago it was even lower? And we all survived.

Even in the great depression, we survived. People are resiliant, and then we flurished.

There was a crash in the 80's, and we're fine.

We even made it through the cold war.

Starting hysteria and mass panic will make it happen. Staying calm and rational will prevent it.
Great post. But someone will doubtless come along and tell you "wow, joe sixpack really doesn't get it."

I have a theory that some people really really enjoyed the train wreck aspect of the crisis and would love to have seen it dive deeper and deeper.

Old 10-07-2008, 02:52 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,999,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
What are you going to do for heat? Gets pretty cold up there. Wood heat?
Yep if need be. We're surrounded by several hundred miles of trees but I'm guessing the Natural gas will work for a while.

Old 10-07-2008, 04:15 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,158,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
....I think if we stop the fear mongering then everything will be fine.

Example: The DOW fell yesterday to a four year low. People are acting like that's the end of the world. Did I miss something? Doesn't that meant that 5 years ago it was even lower? And we all survived.

Even in the great depression, we survived. People are resiliant, and then we flurished.

I don't think people are simply indulging in mass hysteria for no good reason - there are real economic reasons for freaking out and preparing for a disruption in the world economy, at least in the short term and maybe for quite a while.

People and many govts ARE resilient, but only up to a certain point. People grow old and eventually die, and so do nations. Maybe we're not quite there yet but if we don't solve the problems of oil supply shrinking just when international demand is increasing .... or the potential problems of nuclear terrorism or severe pandemics .... in ADDITION to the economic crisis .... well, our current world civilization may head the way of the Roman Empire, the Egyptian Dynasties, the Aztecs Mayans and Incas, the Chinese empires etc.

We're getting on in years with our American Hegemony. We're starting to grow blind and deaf, the brain is growing senile .... eventually it will all fall apart, though not necessarily during this particular recession/depression.

My advice on preparedness is simply offered to all, it doesn't much matter to me whether individuals take it or leave it. Maybe terrible things will happen, maybe only a little recession. I'm guessing the former but your mileage may vary.

Oh, and by the way, the DOW is only a very indirect indicator of the economy. It's more an indicator of blue chip investor confidence than anything else. Whether it goes up and down is less important than other indicators or the rate of financial institution failure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownnola View Post
....Remember back in late 1999, people were counting down the days until Y2K. Remember all of those people stocking up on flashlights, candles, food, water, generators, guns, ammo, etc?
Y2K was a real enough problem, something like 300 billion was spent on fixing the potential software problems. Software in the early days was focussed on running with as much efficiency as possible in order to make best use of those primitive eight bit chips, so those programs only used two digits to indicate a year. 1999 was represented as 99, and 2000 would have been represented as 1900. So that would have wreaked havoc with things like payrolls, where the time worked is calculated by subtracting the date of the work weeks beginning from the end.

I wasn't too worried about the Y2K problem at the time, because on checking around it seemed that banks and industry were busting their asses fixing the problem.

The only time I went overboard with doomerism was when 9-11 happened, I felt that nuclear terrorism was imminent. Of course that turned out to be wrong, but it will almost certainly happen one of these days. Hopefully not for several years.

Old 10-07-2008, 05:06 PM
jco jco started this thread

2,121 posts, read 6,450,420 times
I agree that we all shouldn't run to the bank and pull out all of our money and make this whole thing worse. I still bought a whole lot of extra water today and four cans of pepper spray yesterday.

Old 10-07-2008, 05:21 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,909,539 times
it means to be informed and stay informed. here is an excellent article on what is going on right now:

http://www.oftwominds.com/blogmay06/wealth-effect.html

this article was published in 2006!

Last edited by floridasandy; 10-07-2008 at 05:23 PM.. Reason: added date of publication

Old 10-07-2008, 08:53 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Real survivlist are thru this and making plans for Y3K. Only the internet survivalist are in the past and present.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness