Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 12:26 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,411,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
It's simply common sense to be prepared for longterm emergencies. My ancestors had to do that every year to get through the long winters, so the instinct is deep in me.
Do you think we come from the same bloodlines, Woof?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2008, 12:29 PM

76 posts, read 133,186 times
Why is it that a warning only considered valid to give if the disaster actually happens?

Old 10-13-2008, 12:29 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,513,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runrgirl View Post
My Parents are doom and gloomers. I had to move 500 miles away just to escape the constant draining mindset. And it is a TOTAL relief. I'm a medical professional and have seen people who really have a right to gloom and doom. As long as you can breathe, pee/poop, and get around on your own you bascially have got it good and have no reason to worry about crap that's out of your control anyway. Life is too short to gloom and doom. So people spend their money, you can always make more.
Sounds like you might be mixing D&G with clinical depression? dunno. But as a med person, I would guess you follow these are whole different, unrelated topics.

Many D&Gs are fairly dynamic and engaging. They just tend to be sort of "stuck" in the Worst Case model.

But sometimes I have thought that some D&Gs are depressed personalities looking to validate their emotional state.

Quote:
Worse case scenario is having to live out in the woods and catch your own food and make your own shelter. Still not the end of the world.
Sure, that is pretty much it exactly. The full D&Gs tend to live in a state of preparation for that.

OTOH, As far as a lack of quality of life in D&G land, I see many missed opportunities for the Best Case Scenarios -- sort of like a lack of balance thing.

Old 10-13-2008, 12:32 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,254,443 times
My problem with D&G in general is that it doesn't seem to exist as a traditional "hope for the best, plan for the worst" paradigm -- instead, some D&Gers seem to be advocates for D&G -- cheerleaders. In becoming proselytizers for the worst-case scenarios, they seem to perhaps subconsciously gain a personal stake in seeing those scenarios carried forth.

Maybe it's just morbid fascination. Whatever, the point is I think some D&Gers would be more honest if they just came out and said what they mean: they want to see things go down.

Just my opinion.

Old 10-13-2008, 12:37 PM

7,487 posts, read 10,451,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
The non-D&Gs also generally believe that we are in a down-cycle of an automatically self-correcting business cycle. And they are still out spending money and living as usual.

I would like to hear from other D&Gs.
Aye aye, sir - present! Another D&G here...but I call myself a "realist". I, too, spend lots of time educating myself, and one of the things I've read is the writing on the wall.

You are correct, in that the majority will not listen to you. In my case, I am into preparedness as well, so I get the double treatment.

But I look at it this way. If the majority are out spending money and living as usual, it means that I am ahead of them in line. I already have a 'heads up' mentality, while they do not (yet). I can go ahead with my preparations for whatever I feel we may be in for, while they will be the folks who are not prepared. It's not smugness. I prefer to share!

Old 10-13-2008, 12:40 PM

Quote:
I believe we are headed into a first class depression. How bad will things get? Only time will tell.

However, it's more than that. The coming situation is going to weaken our country considerably. We have been running a trade deficit. And I don't know how much longer countries like China are going to want to stay on the dollar standard to pay for our wars and bailouts.

I think our days of being a world power are over.
No way man, the DOW is up 530 today, that means our problems are over, good times are here again! The fundamentals of our economy are strong.

Old 10-13-2008, 12:43 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,850,972 times
Quote:
I think our days of being a world power are over.
Good. Its about time that we concentrated on our country & citizens instead of being the world's policeman.

Another GI checking in!

Old 10-13-2008, 12:45 PM

339 posts, read 1,516,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
But sometimes I have thought that some D&Gs are depressed personalities looking to validate their emotional state.
While I haven't thought that everyone who is D&G has this personality, I suspect the group has a fair share. I've also wondered if it's not just depressed personalities that are attracted to D&G, but also some with low-level anxiety or obsessive-compulsive personalities.

Old 10-13-2008, 12:45 PM

Quote:
And they are still out spending money and living as usual.
Let's envision an all-D&G society. EVERYone is a D&Ger. Things get a little rocky and EVERYone stops spending money immediately. What would that do?

Old 10-13-2008, 12:47 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,771,244 times
Quote:
I think some D&Gers would be more honest if they just came out and said what they mean: they want to see things go down.
I want to see things go down. I want the housing market to correct so that people can afford to buy a house at 2-3 times their income. I want the stock market to stay at a level where prices reflect earnings without having to juggle the books to show false prophets, (pun intended). I want to see interest rates go up to the point where you can put some money in a CD and have it keep up with inflation.

I don't want to see a never ending spiral of false prosperity make it impossible for the average person to buy a house or rent an apartment. I don't want to look at my retirement money as paper wealth that isn't backed by real wealth.

Is that too much to ask for?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness