Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 01:18 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,727,347 times

Advertisements

i wanted to build a private hiden bunker on our land but never did it. maybe nows a good time to start. anybody out there have bunkers full of food water ammo and dont forget about the dolphin safe tuna in alluminum cans for long term storage and don't laugh i am serious
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 02:18 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,484,723 times
You need a way of being self-sufficient or else when you run out of stockpiled goods you're, well, dead if there's no way to replenish the supplies or things haven't returned to normal. Rural (preferably plenty of wooded land to supply heat) land well away from urban areas, knowledge on gardening and lots of open-pollinated seeds, gardening tools, livestock...my grandparents made it through the Depression with no government help because they had the skills to rely little on others, and some land...

Old 02-03-2009, 03:02 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,926,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
...my grandparents made it through the Depression with no government help because they had the skills to rely little on others, and some land...
And that would be what percent of today's population? IMO one starts going down a very dark, dangerous and lonely path when one starts to think like the o.p. For one thing, the second poster is right. At some point supplies do run out. The first settlement in America must have been over 50 people but the colony failed. We are not bears or Moose. Even wolves hunt in packs. We are a social animal and like it or not, if things ever get to the point where any of us have to start thinking in survivalist terms its really time to use what ammo is in the supply to ... ... better yet, stockpile a lethal cocktail that at least will be painless. I don't think thinking that way is any less morbid than imagining trapping, skinning and dressing meat and growing crops and defending the whole shebang from the hordes of desperate others who will simply attempt to survive by taking the fruits of labor of those that have attempted to go it alone. Perhaps if so many of us were not so misguided about their chances of actually surviving for long if the grid ever went down for good we would work harder at ensuring that it never does.

H

Old 02-03-2009, 03:08 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,035,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
i wanted to build a private hiden bunker on our land but never did it. maybe nows a good time to start. anybody out there have bunkers full of food water ammo and dont forget about the dolphin safe tuna in alluminum cans for long term storage and don't laugh i am serious
Bye.

Old 02-03-2009, 03:08 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,704,811 times
Well, that and there would be no such thing as a truly private bunker...Big Brother be flyin' over your house to see what new things you've been building...

Who do you think you'd be hiding from?

Old 02-03-2009, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
I don't think thinking that way is any less morbid than imagining trapping, skinning and dressing meat and growing crops and defending the whole shebang from the hordes of desperate others who will simply attempt to survive by taking the fruits of labor of those that have attempted to go it alone. Perhaps if so many of us were not so misguided about their chances of actually surviving for long if the grid ever went down for good we would work harder at ensuring that it never does.

H
Minus the hordes of starving people that describes how I like to live: being as self-sufficient as possible. Hunting, trapping, gardening, etc. I think the odds will be slim of masses of starving people coming my way where I'll be in Alaska soon either if things did collapse. I'll have my hands full keeping the bears and moose out of my crops and orchard though. Now to get my homestead up and running before the collapse does happen...

Oh and you'd be surprised what can be done even in a suburban home if you don't have restrictive rules stopping you...square foot gardening has allowed me to grow a substantial amount of food even in limited space in town limits...

Old 02-03-2009, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33458 View Post
Well, that and there would be no such thing as a truly private bunker...Big Brother be flyin' over your house to see what new things you've been building...

Who do you think you'd be hiding from?
Depends on how you go about it and where.

Old 02-03-2009, 03:16 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,704,811 times
No-one is safe from Google street view...or the County aerial purveyors.

(I'm just building on your paranoia in a friendly kind of way...)

Old 02-03-2009, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33458 View Post
No-one is safe from Google street view...or the County aerial purveyors.

(I'm just building on your paranoia in a friendly kind of way...)
Hehe, I am, the pictures google has for where my land is are incredibly fuzzy and poor quality, and they won't be putting up streetview pics because the closest road is a dirt road that's about 150 miles long and mostly just trees/etc. as far as the eye can see...and there is no county or other local government. Unorganized borough...

Old 02-03-2009, 04:41 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,454,332 times
well, i'm not sure what good a bunker is going to be anyway. i'm doubting that you are going to need an armored residence. but to each his own.

what you do need, whether there will be a socioeconomic collapse or not, is a good food storage, gardening skills, and other things that as arctic said, will make you more autonomous.

even in standard, urban living, it is a good idea to be as self-sufficient as possible. it really is amazing what people can grow in those urban gardens, and with canning skills and a dehydrator, you can ensure that you will have plenty of provisions set aside for the smaller disasters that happen every day (layoffs, medical emergencies that drain the bank, etc).

aaron out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness