Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 08:29 PM

851 posts, read 3,626,809 times

Advertisements

Gold represents very little wealth nowadays. Hardly anybody heard of gold. I highly doubt the government would confiscate gold but it's very possible they make private gold trade illegal.

The thought that when the government confiscating firearm, there would be civil war. Well, I can assure you that is NOT going to happen - read some history. Most people are sheeple. You herd, they walk, even the direction is a slaughter house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 10:29 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
I look for the Gov. to control everything soon through RFID. If one fails to submit they are not allowed to bank, conduct business transactions, buy food/fuel, obtain healthcare, etc.... . They can start by requiring everyone have their medical info. implanted on RFID; since they will soon run health care they can mandate this. Pelosi has already threatened jail for those who do not buy "her" coverage if/when the legislation passes. Baby-steps toward an all-out Fascist governement.

Frankly, the intrusion of inputting front door GPS coordinates by census takers is down-right creepy!

No, I am not wearing a tin-foil hat. However, I did read Animal Farm, Brave New World & Atlas Shrugged in school back when kids had real required reading lists. Nearly 30 yrs. later the stuff contained in these books is looking more like non-fiction of the near-future.

Old 11-16-2009, 05:31 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,688,423 times
I have this argument with some good friends all of the time; they say that the government can't confiscate gold and never will again, I say that it can and will if it chooses. Had this same argument with other friends in the early 80's, as they were hoarding krugerrands. My gold collecting friends think that the price of gold will continue to rise, I say that the bottom will fall out just as it did in the 80's. It's all hype and emotional hyperbole. If you have a krugerrand and I have chickens, I will eat eggs and produce more chickens for meat. You can only trade that krugerrand for one chicken, or maybe just one egg - the seller sets the price, not the buyer, based on the buyer's need. There is a huge and potentially deadly difference between wealth and survival.

The American people are sheeple and easily led; all it took was for the media to say that the Weavers in ID or the Whackos in Waco were criminals and the public believed (and many still do) that the FBI and Federal Marshals were completely justified in their actions. In the mid-80's, when Social Services was demanding more money by saying, "Child abuse reports are up 10%!" and building their bureaucracy, people were in an outcry and an uproar - until it turned out that the SS agencies were illegally prosecuting those who were accused falsely without investigation. All of these incidents were trial runs to see how easily people would swallow "We'll protect you! It's for your own good!" - and many still believe that their government can and will protect them from anything, be it the 'evils' of Mormon children raised in multi-parent homes, or the 'evil' terrorists whom the government not only permits into our borders, but puts in high positions in the military.

Guns, gold, it doesn't matter - what the government wants from you it will take from you, and it will encourage your neighbors and friends and family to 'turn you in' so that everyone feels self-righteous and justified about it. Play your Wii and watch reruns of Survivor til your brains atrophy. The gubbermint will perteckt you from yourself as well as everyone around you. Sleep. Sleeeeeep.
Just for fun - hope this link works fo you -
1948 Cartoon

Last edited by SCGranny; 11-16-2009 at 05:39 AM..

Old 11-20-2009, 03:21 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,885,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unseengundam View Post
Do you think the US Government could confiscate gold again like it did when we moved off the Gold standard?

Today, I this may happen only if the US Dollar collapses and Gold because the only valuable form of money for trade. The with global financial crisis and the government going into more and more debt the collapse of the Dollar seem to be come every more likely. If the Dollar does collapse, I would think the government would move quickly to issue a new paper currency. Since, then precious metal (like Gold), would be only think of real value the Government would take then issue the New Currency out just like they did it back in 1933. Of course, this seems like far of scenario. What do you guys think?

I think they could conceivably try it, but I don't personally know anybody who would comply. IE: nobody would give them a dime....er....I mean nobody would give them one solitary speck of gold...
What are they gonna do....send jack-booted agents to smash down our doors and ransack our homes, looking for contraband gold? I doubt it...

Bud

Old 11-21-2009, 07:56 AM

2,637 posts, read 4,463,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStupid View Post
Gold represents very little wealth nowadays. Hardly anybody heard of gold. I highly doubt the government would confiscate gold but it's very possible they make private gold trade illegal.

The thought that when the government confiscating firearm, there would be civil war. Well, I can assure you that is NOT going to happen - read some history. Most people are sheeple. You herd, they walk, even the direction is a slaughter house.
So if they make gold trade illegal, will the price of gold go up, like it does with everything else that is illegal?

Old 11-21-2009, 07:58 AM

If I did in fact have any gold, which I don't just for the record. It would be mighty hard for anybody to find, but me. But a chunk of gold, could get a feller out of a tight squeeze should it all come down around us.

Old 11-21-2009, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
I have this argument with some good friends all of the time; they say that the government can't confiscate gold and never will again, I say that it can and will if it chooses. Had this same argument with other friends in the early 80's, as they were hoarding krugerrands. My gold collecting friends think that the price of gold will continue to rise, I say that the bottom will fall out just as it did in the 80's. It's all hype and emotional hyperbole. If you have a krugerrand and I have chickens, I will eat eggs and produce more chickens for meat. You can only trade that krugerrand for one chicken, or maybe just one egg - the seller sets the price, not the buyer, based on the buyer's need. There is a huge and potentially deadly difference between wealth and survival.

The American people are sheeple and easily led; all it took was for the media to say that the Weavers in ID or the Whackos in Waco were criminals and the public believed (and many still do) that the FBI and Federal Marshals were completely justified in their actions. In the mid-80's, when Social Services was demanding more money by saying, "Child abuse reports are up 10%!" and building their bureaucracy, people were in an outcry and an uproar - until it turned out that the SS agencies were illegally prosecuting those who were accused falsely without investigation. All of these incidents were trial runs to see how easily people would swallow "We'll protect you! It's for your own good!" - and many still believe that their government can and will protect them from anything, be it the 'evils' of Mormon children raised in multi-parent homes, or the 'evil' terrorists whom the government not only permits into our borders, but puts in high positions in the military.

Guns, gold, it doesn't matter - what the government wants from you it will take from you, and it will encourage your neighbors and friends and family to 'turn you in' so that everyone feels self-righteous and justified about it. Play your Wii and watch reruns of Survivor til your brains atrophy. The gubbermint will perteckt you from yourself as well as everyone around you. Sleep. Sleeeeeep.
Just for fun - hope this link works fo you -
1948 Cartoon

Everyone knows --I have no guns, I have no gold, I have nothin illegal. ---and if I did, I would never mention it on a public forum, or any where else. Some guys like to post Pix of their gun collection.--to me that is just somebodies elses new shopping list.

Old 11-21-2009, 08:38 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,745,680 times
Default Ditto

Americans *are* way too easily led (as the prior post says) and I double-dog dare you to ask ten Baby Boomers ANYTHING about Roosevelt's confiscation of gold during the Great Depression and I'm willing to bet money that 9 out of 10 people will have a deer-in-the-headlights look.

Not only are we way too easily led, we don't even know American history.

So yeah, I am confident that US would confiscate gold again. Unlike so many of this administrations confiscatory wealth programs, there's already a precedent for taking our gold.

Sign me,
One fed-up American who knows American history a little too well.

aka: Rose

Old 11-21-2009, 12:38 PM

I love the ads that ask for our "scrap gold". You know, that old gold that keeps getting in yer way. I will also buy any scrap gold ya got just layin around. I'll even come remove it for ya in my Jeep. I would hate for you to stumble over yer gold, and hurt yourself.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:56 PM

1,639 posts, read 5,099,927 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZA0q...781624&kw=gold
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness