Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2011, 12:53 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,763,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
I think a heroin addict in withdrawal would be a prettier sight if they have to give up their gadgets for any length of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 08:45 PM

29,486 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Gold will be worthless, I don't think so.

If the SHTF , I mean really did. Where the grid completely shuts down, what good is a piece of gold going to be ? It will turn into a barter culture, ammo, water , food, batteries, firestarting items, toiletries, medicine , those things are going to be the new currency. Skills another.

Read "one second after" , it is a chilling and eye awakening book.

Old 01-30-2011, 09:06 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
If the SHTF , I mean really did. Where the grid completely shuts down, what good is a piece of gold going to be ? It will turn into a barter culture, ammo, water , food, batteries, firestarting items, toiletries, medicine , those things are going to be the new currency. Skills another.

You're getting ahead of yourself. In the event of the US dollar collapsing gold is the way to go.

Do you follow the price of gold?

If the SHTF and we turn into a Mad Max type of society I think I would rather not be here.

People are pretty rude and lack civility as it right now.

Old 01-30-2011, 09:38 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,698,696 times
Quote:
You're getting ahead of yourself. In the event of the US dollar collapsing gold is the way to go.

If the SHTF and we turn into a Mad Max type of society I think I would rather not be here.

People are going to eat each other like vampires after two weeks so not a good time to be a vegan!

Old 01-30-2011, 09:57 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,897,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
With the pending collapse of our country about a year or two away, I thought I would begin a survival guide for West Virginian's.

West Virginians are their best at surviving disasters and this one will be just like the others.

The key to survival is planning, help from the societal group and adaptability.

I would like to hear your helpful and constructive thoughts on this issue.
thanks.
Hmmm.... we apparently are at the one month deadline according to the OP- having amazingly survived through the nearly two years of imminent collapse. I guess next month is gonna be mighty exciting, and here I am still paying my mortgage... what a fool I am.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:02 PM

42 posts, read 133,805 times
Quote:

Once things stabilize, and they always have, Gold will still be valuable. And even during the collapse, forward thinking people will realize that and it will have value even then for that reason.

If you don't have everything you need to survive the collapse, then no, don't buy any gold, buy what you think you'll need. If you're trying to find a way to preserve excess wealth, then you could do a lot worse than gold.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:05 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vec101 View Post
Does the Admin think we are idiots and too stupid to question what is going on?
It knows it and it is correct about the general public.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:21 PM

25,742 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Quote:
I agree. At least through "the bad times." Gold has no real value as far as usefulness. The only value it has is that which we place on it. Commodities, tools, skills, supplies, medicine, etc, on the other hand, do have useful purposes beyond dangling something shiny from your neck. As long as things are plodding along okay, I certainly wouldn't mind having a bunch of gold. But if am hungry, cold, and in the dark, along with everyone else, gold would be the last thing on our minds, I would think.

Quote:

You are looking at the price of gold in US dollars. If the US dollar suddenly becomes worthless, it wouldn't matter if an ounce of gold was worth $500,000. What good would 500 K be if there was no value attached to our currency? You have to look at the true worth of gold as far as its barter value for goods and services--which of course, is pretty darn good right now. It might not be the case if the monetary systems collapse, though, and people get desperate. In that situation, I'd much rather have a stockpile of life-sustaining supplies in a safe place.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carefully View Post
Once things stabilize, and they always have, Gold will still be valuable. And even during the collapse, forward thinking people will realize that and it will have value even then for that reason.

If you don't have everything you need to survive the collapse, then no, don't buy any gold, buy what you think you'll need. If you're trying to find a way to preserve excess wealth, then you could do a lot worse than gold.

Exactly. A lot of people are buying gold right now. They're afraid the US dollar will collapse, the value of gold has increased over the last few years.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I agree. At least through "the bad times." Gold has no real value as far as usefulness. The only value it has is that which we place on it. Commodities, tools, skills, supplies, medicine, etc, on the other hand, do have useful purposes beyond dangling something shiny from your neck. As long as things are plodding along okay, I certainly wouldn't mind having a bunch of gold. But if am hungry, cold, and in the dark, along with everyone else, gold would be the last thing on our minds, I would think.

You are looking at the price of gold in US dollars. If the US dollar suddenly becomes worthless, it wouldn't matter if an ounce of gold was worth $500,000. What good would 500 K be if there was no value attached to our currency? You have to look at the true worth of gold as far as its barter value for goods and services--which of course, is pretty darn good right now. It might not be the case if the monetary systems collapse, though, and people get desperate. In that situation, I'd much rather have a stockpile of life-sustaining supplies in a safe place.

I'm not looking at from a US perspective at all. Gold is of worldwide value.

And you like the other poster are looking at a total SHTF scenario.

Gold will hold value in the event the dollar collapses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness