Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2013, 05:46 PM

33 posts, read 48,063 times

Advertisements

a comunity project will not work to meny toungs, They will come with guns to collect your goods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 06:03 PM

25,732 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greensq View Post
a comunity project will not work to meny toungs, They will come with guns to collect your goods.

Huh? Too many whats? Tongues? Not following...

Old 08-16-2013, 06:07 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,906,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Why not explain what intellectual rigor is...provided that you can spell it? Knowing the correct spelling always helps when someone is trying to find a definition or explanation. Reading is necessary as well.
If you're going to try to correct someone's spelling at least be right about your correction, my dimwitted friend.

Intellectual rigor - definition of Intellectual rigor by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

Please notice how the dictionary lists a U.S. spelling variant which differs from the British spelling variant; I.E. like colour/color, armour/armor, the accepted US variant does not include a "u". If you don't feel stupid then you really should because you tried to correct someone and you were completely wrong about it.

Old 08-16-2013, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
I've got an honest question for you. Why do you care? How is any of this hurting you?
When people are completely wrong over and over and over again... Well, it is kind of nice for there to be some sort of accountability especially if they're still babbling the same nonsense and still trying to fool more gullible people into losing their life's savings. Like any would be prophet or snakeoil salesmen there should be some record of how often the fool has been wrong just so other people, who might get duped by him, can at least say they had fair warning.

Old 08-16-2013, 06:14 PM

1,594 posts, read 4,096,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
If you're going to try to correct someone's spelling at least be right about your correction, my dimwitted friend.

Intellectual rigor - definition of Intellectual rigor by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

Please notice how the dictionary lists a U.S. spelling variant which differs from the British spelling variant; I.E. like colour/color, armour/armor, the accepted US variant does not include a "u". If you don't feel stupid then you really should because you tried to correct someone and you were completely wrong about it.
Ummm, say what? The post to which Happy refers spelled rigor as "rigger." Not sure where you're getting the rigor/rigour argument.

Old 08-16-2013, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greensq View Post
The hard truth is communities of like minded people survive hard times where as individuals usually don't. There is strength in numbers and criminals usually look for the weakest prey so if you're the lone person by yourself then you are the weakest prey.

Old 08-16-2013, 07:27 PM

8,418 posts, read 4,576,990 times
Quote:
When people are completely wrong over and over and over again... Well, it is kind of nice for there to be some sort of accountability especially if they're still babbling the same nonsense and still trying to fool more gullible people into losing their life's savings. Like any would be prophet or snakeoil salesmen there should be some record of how often the fool has been wrong just so other people, who might get duped by him, can at least say they had fair warning.

I have never stated a timetable that anything will happen by. I just think, as insurance is prudent, so is any other prep. I don't know any prepper who has spent his life savings preparing. They are just as aware of the present as they are of the possible future.

I think you are focusing too much on the "me right you wrong" aspect of this. You desire a winner and a loser just as the higher ups want. it doesn't matter which team is "righter". What matters is you are prepared for life's ups and downs. I'm sure you prepare for these by buying insurance for your car and home and possibly your health. There really isn't any difference between that and storing some food and items you couldn't get if things got rough.

I, as a prepper (of 40 years, my family 40 years before that) get great comfort putting a little aside for a rainy day. It has served me many times. I hear the "Chicken Little" phrase thrown out there a lot. I would counter that with the Aesop's fable "The Ant and the Grasshopper". I assume you have read that one too...

Old 08-16-2013, 07:51 PM

8,418 posts, read 4,576,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Of course that's the case! 99.9% of the time it is.

Even those types know that just because Event A hasn't happened, it doesn't mean it can't. With a change of probability, it would be similar to me playing Russian Roulette. I spin the cylinder. I pull the trigger. Snap. No shot. I then look at my buddies, smiling, and say smugly, "See there, you idiots! I told you nothing would happen, you tin foil hat brigadiers!" And you know, I potentially could spin that cylinder a hundred times, put the muzzle to my temple, and pull the trigger, and still have nothing happen. But that doesn't mean it's a very smart thing to do. And it doesn't mean it won't go bang one of those times. So, yeah, it's the smug, superior, "see I told you so." Thing is, it's not going to change any minds here if the guy pulls that trigger for the next fifty years. It still won't be smart. And it will still be an told-you-so exercise in ego to brag about the lack of a loud bang each time.

As for why such people care: in some cases, I don't think they do; they just want to pick on someone. In other cases, I think it gets under their skin that everyone is not a carbon copy of their superior selves. Because when we get down to the brass tacks it makes absolutely, positively, incontrovertibly, irrefutably, NO difference in their lives the least bit. They have to boost their illusions of superiority by finding someone to single out in our politically correct world that won't tolerate the typical "isms" out of them, so they find new "isms" and construct an Other to browbeat, just as humankind always has.
Great post, as always, by ChrisC

Old 08-16-2013, 09:05 PM

1,608 posts, read 1,485,216 times
Well, I came here to CD, which I haven't had time to visit since March, to see if what I've read on another 'prepper' forum that interests me could or would be validated here. I've read several pages, and all I'm seeing is members arguing amongst themselves, which is counterproductive to social survival, and does not foster the needed mindset for survival in a financial devolution, downward spiral or collapse. Attitude is just as important as physical preps. We're not helping anyone here, folks!

What happened to this forum; it used to be such a great place!

Love, Mahrie.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:37 PM

25,732 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Quote:

Someone's not paying attention today, hmmm?

A rigger in the modern sense is a person that generally works with cranes and other lifting machinery and is responsible for attaching the cabling, ropes, balanced beams, etc, for the lift. Historically, they were men who worked with cabling or latticing from an engineering/maintenance standpoint as well. For instance, on the old sail ships. Also, the German Zeppelin airships all had "riggers" who worked internally within the airships and took care of the maze of miles of cabling, among other repair tasks.

I suppose, then, an intellectual rigger would be a "cablesmith" with a PhD or one who moonlights as a quantum physicist?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back to the discussion: There are topics that have been discussed here in the past that I am certainly on the extreme minority end of--philosophies I have that nearly nobody on this forum thinks is very smart of me. One such topic is health care/insurance. I have a very unpopular stance even on this forum. I've taken some major shots on the issue. And you know something? Those folks have a point. Yes, they do. But... it ain't going to change my stance. I'm 100% willing to accept the possible consequences of my choices on the matter. I don't expect anyone to make the same choices that I do. I don't care if their choices are the opposite of mine. That's their business, not mine, no matter how I feel about their choices. I can and certainly do state my own choice and opinion. But beyond that, as I said, none of my business. It's not my place to belittle others for their life choices unless it somehow negatively affects my right to make my own choices (regardless of whether I think they are dumb or not).

Where does that all fit with this discussion? Well, let's say I think being prepared is for dullards. Now, I should have the right to such an opinion. And I, of course, should be free to make my own bed, so to speak. But I certainly have no cause to go off on others for the way they make their bed, NOR should I expect to be given a golden key to sleep in their bed should my bed become lumpy at some point.

And, I'll just BET that if something did happen, I would NOT hear from these people that don't believe in having so much as an extra bag of potato chips on-hand that they are willing to live (or in this case die) with the consequences of their choices. I'll bet that, rather, what I would see from most of them is that person going ape**** and running for those who made their bed in a more sustainable manner. THAT's the one thing that bothers me about those who place no value on being prepared (other than they like to come onto forums like this one and troll): they will not, in that event, accept responsibility for their choices.

But since, if nothing bad does or is ever going to happen, it really doesn't matter one way or the other to either camp, and there really shouldn't be a need for this discussion in the first place. Live and let live.

Last edited by ChrisC; 08-16-2013 at 09:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness