Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2013, 09:58 AM

1,608 posts, read 1,484,994 times

Advertisements

G'morning all!

I'm with the 'just-in-casers'!

I was raised with a 'prepper' mindset in a country that makes North America look like a paradise - even now.

A few years ago, my darlin' hurt his back and couldn't work for... almost two years, I think. We still had kids at home, and were it not for the preps I had on hand, we wouldn't have been able to eat, wash, have needed 'new' clothes and shoes, and clean our... everything - y'get the idea. We've *always* kept ten years' worth of preps and they surely have come in handy. (We do rotate them, of course.)

Several neighbors of ours have been blindsided over the years, and because we were blessed with preps and could help them out a little, they're now committed preppers themselves. It's nice to be able to shop in your basement when your wallet isn't as 'thick' as you'd like it to be! ;<)

Love and All Good Things,

Mahrie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 10:21 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,579,743 times
Finally, someone that actually gets it

Welcome aboard Mahrie!

If you were raised in a country like that, I would love to hear about your experience and what you did to keep going.
Exactly the kind of stuff we need on this board

Old 08-27-2013, 12:15 PM

1,608 posts, read 1,484,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Finally, someone that actually gets it

Welcome aboard Mahrie!

If you were raised in a country like that, I would love to hear about your experience and what you did to keep going.
Exactly the kind of stuff we need on this board
Why, thank you MTSilvertip! (I'm from the mountains too.)

I've been a member here for a while, but I don't get much time to post when I'm touring, and I do love this forum!

While it wouldn't be kosher to mention them here, I've written nine novels about my 'experiences' ;<) in life. If you'd like to PM me, I can give you more details, and you can read a few chapters gratis on line.

Blessings,

Mahrie.

Old 09-01-2013, 04:57 PM

186 posts, read 362,332 times
that must have been SOME basement, since you'd need 1000 lbs of food per person, per year, (10 year's worth) and many more lbs of other supplies. :-)

Old 09-01-2013, 05:18 PM

25,721 posts, read 18,797,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trundle View Post
that must have been SOME basement, since you'd need 1000 lbs of food per person, per year, (10 year's worth) and many more lbs of other supplies. :-)
Uhhh, cut that in half on the weight.

This is one route to go: beprepared.com/year-supply-of-basics.html?bede=3-2

(I can't seem to get the links function to work today, so just copy and paste it)

And it really doesn't take up as much room as you might think. Claimed weight for this company is 510 lbs--that's for a years supply. I have something similar, and like I said, several year's worth really doesn't take up that much room, especially if it's part of your rotated everyday food.

Old 09-01-2013, 06:07 PM

oh, yeah? Since you need 3000 calories per day for an adult male, who is doing anything, and 2000 per active kid or adult woman, and since very few types of food have more than 1000 calories per lb, I am NOT wrong about the amounts. And if I was, it would still be a HUGE basement.

Old 09-01-2013, 07:57 PM

279 posts, read 486,143 times
You definitely don't "need" 3000 calories a day as an adult male or 2000 calories as an active kid or adult female. Especially if you're in a survival situation, you can live day to day on MUCH less.

Old 09-01-2013, 07:57 PM

25,721 posts, read 18,797,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trundle View Post
oh, yeah? Since you need 3000 calories per day for an adult male, who is doing anything, and 2000 per active kid or adult woman, and since very few types of food have more than 1000 calories per lb, I am NOT wrong about the amounts. And if I was, it would still be a HUGE basement.
You're going on averages. It depends on the person and their metabolic rate and body weight. If I had 3000 calories per day, I'd weigh 500 lbs in no time. Of course, that would change depending on the everyday activity, but size certainly matters here--If I were a 250 lb muscle man, I'd require more calories for sure. But at an average of between 140 and 150 (depending on the time of year), 3000 is too much for my level of activity. Granted, I'm sized (and built as far as muscle mass) more like a woman than the typical man, but that's the way nature saw fit to "construct" me. I guess lower caloric requirement is a benefit of that anomaly.

Yes, granted, if I were chopping wood all day everyday, things would change. As it is, I get a decent workout every day, but nothing over the top. So I'm basing it on what works now, because half the reason I do food storage is to save TONS of money on food. Even at the higher price of the food storage companies, it's possible to save oodles of money when compared to grocery store prices on prepared foods, produce, etc, and restaurant foods. That, along with hitting sales at the grocery store and buying mass quantities.

Old 09-01-2013, 11:56 PM

537 posts, read 740,160 times
So how many calories do those stereotypical scrawny Asian workers get per day? I've always wondered how these broke-***** third world peasants can perform hard labor on a few bowls of rice. Am I mis-informed? Do we over-estimate how many calories it takes a person to survive?

Do we REALLY need all the calories we are told to account for per day per person?

Old 09-02-2013, 08:38 AM

the bigger the person, the more calories are needed, just to maintain their current body weight. 3000 cals per day is NOTHING if you are working hard/or are stressed out. Check out the TV show, Naked and Afraid". The men lose 1.5-2 lbs per DAY, for 3 week average. Sure,some of that is muscle loss, but 1 lb of fat is 3500 calories. So they are burning 5000-6000 calories per day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness