Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 03:40 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,606,496 times

Advertisements

I'll drink to that (beer)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 08:26 AM

2,014 posts, read 1,528,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
We call it the mountain of books. The wife and I have over 10,000 books. Many lettered or limited editions. I would give a rough guess of three tons of books.

Can't wait to move, lol.
The last time I moved I had 200 boxes of books. With your collection I'd say you're looking at well over 500 boxes. The movers are going to love you.

Old 11-21-2009, 08:14 PM

108 posts, read 378,690 times
Transferable class three weapons.

Old 11-22-2009, 08:09 AM

37,464 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchro View Post
Transferable class three weapons.
The last time that I looked into it, the BATF fee for transfering was $400.

Old 11-22-2009, 11:11 PM

2,637 posts, read 4,462,974 times
Right after Ike, when we had no power, Neighbors brought over meat that they were afraid would go bad, and we all had one heck of a cook out.---Bad times are not so bad, if you surround your self with good People. I think it made people feel better, and not so isolated.

Old 12-15-2009, 06:48 AM

392 posts, read 1,539,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaskateguy View Post
Right after Ike, when we had no power, Neighbors brought over meat that they were afraid would go bad, and we all had one heck of a cook out.---Bad times are not so bad, if you surround your self with good People. I think it made people feel better, and not so isolated.

Good people..... and, back to the original topic, good beer of course

Old 12-26-2009, 09:22 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,956,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ987654 View Post
I'm not crazy, I've thought this one through.

The dollar is going to plummet in value as inflation rears it's ugly head from the spending spree our mighty and wise elected officials are on. So if the dollar is no good... were should I put my money?

1) I could switch it into another currency, but as the affects of this recession are global, all the major trusted currencies are likely to have their own problems in coming year or already are in trouble.
2) Gold, the old safe fall back... unfortunately, it's selling for record high prices and could very well be the next bubble
3) Oil... to volatile for my tastes. It's controlled mostly by people in sections of the world that are historically unstable. Add hurricanes and other natural disasters that affect the price, and the risk is too high.
4) I could purchase material objects with my money... Cars, houses, land, buildings, and other things that normally have high resale values plus practical uses. But this recession has made real estate scary and auto dealers can't even resell cars right now!

I need an investment that people always want, whether it is good time or bad. Whether they are rich or poor. Whether it is a time of growth or a time of recession. Something that brings out the best in people (ok, maybe I'm asking too much with that one).

It seems like beer is the only solution. Prices always go up on it over time. It doesn't experience volatility depending on the markets or the weather. People buy it regardless of the economy.

Best of all... if I'm wrong and I'm stuck with all the beer... well, I guess I can always drink it (if I have to)
Hey, and I am going to have the barrels and barrels of pretzels!

Old 01-16-2010, 11:38 PM

29 posts, read 46,472 times
Pretzels will go great with OP's beer. Maybe ya'll could go in business together?

BF calls beer "bread in a can" so maybe you could tout it as liquid food as well?

Love the socks idea btw, lightweight, portable, and definitely needed in wintertime or when people are especially mobile and would have to worry about blisters etc....

Old 01-17-2010, 07:50 AM

37,464 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurvivorGirlAL View Post
... BF calls beer "bread in a can" so maybe you could tout it as liquid food as well? ....
Beer can be a liquid bread.

Not so much commercial American beers though, but home-made beer yes.

With commercial American beers they learned that rice can be used to extend the beer [meaning to double or triple the quantity in a vat before loosing too much flavour], and then flavourings and preservatives. The end product simply does not carry all of the nutrients that old-fashioned beer has [just the calories].

When brewed with barley, oats, or wheat; it does have a wide selection of nutrients for the yeast to be healthy. Everything that bread has. A small amount of a bittering agent like hops does not really change the nutrients in beer.

Homebrew or microbrew is a healthy and a living food.

But you need to consider the calories. If you consume 1,000 calories in the form of beer, you may need to cut down on your calorie intake elsewhere.

The Roman Armies marched primarily on grain porridge.

Old 01-17-2010, 12:37 PM

29 posts, read 46,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Beer can be a liquid bread.

The Roman Armies marched primarily on grain porridge.
We americans think in order to survive, we have to have food AND there has to be variety AND it has to taste good AND it has to be convenient.

Wake up call one day for sure!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness