Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 08:19 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,194,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
Yeah, that works for tax protesters and pot growers.

Oh, wait a second -- no, it does not.

Add two acronyms to the motto?

DIP. RIP.

Die In Place. Rest In Peace.
if it does happen, you can be assurded that many more people than just me will be doing the same thing. it is hard to keep the populace down when we outnumber the feds 5000 to 1.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 10:33 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,187,823 times
Simple-------raise what you want ( vegetables and meat)

When you want to sell to the public , you should be governed the same as big producers.

What makes you so special that safety laws/regulations shouldn't apply if you want to sell to the public ?

Old 11-05-2009, 11:31 PM

20 posts, read 59,721 times
How unsafe can a basket of squash or apples be? I personally love to support my local neighbors who grow food and sell it from their yards. I know they would have to stop selling it, and would refuse to sell to me if they had to be govt regulated. I know them and see the plants and the love and care they put into it. I feel so much safer when I buy from them than the grocery store. My yard is all trees and I depend on neighbors who grow and the several small markets that are set up out of the backs of pickup trucks to find local grown food. I say let the ones who grow food and those of us who can not continue to support each other....I can really use what they grow and am glad to spend my money on their fresh produce, still warm from the garden. Leave the government out as much as possible.
That being said, I plan to start buying some heirloom seeds, for the time when I have a place to grow my own....anyone know a good source for heirlooms, or non hybrids?

Old 11-06-2009, 08:14 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lendalooo View Post
... That being said, I plan to start buying some heirloom seeds, for the time when I have a place to grow my own .... anyone know a good source for heirlooms, or non hybrids?
Buy local.

We have local seed exchanges and retailers, who have varieties which are better suited to this climate.

Each area is best provided seed from local sources.

Old 11-06-2009, 12:54 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lendalooo View Post
How unsafe can a basket of squash or apples be? I personally love to support my local neighbors who grow food and sell it from their yards. I know they would have to stop selling it, and would refuse to sell to me if they had to be govt regulated. I know them and see the plants and the love and care they put into it. I feel so much safer when I buy from them than the grocery store. My yard is all trees and I depend on neighbors who grow and the several small markets that are set up out of the backs of pickup trucks to find local grown food. I say let the ones who grow food and those of us who can not continue to support each other....I can really use what they grow and am glad to spend my money on their fresh produce, still warm from the garden. Leave the government out as much as possible.
That being said, I plan to start buying some heirloom seeds, for the time when I have a place to grow my own....anyone know a good source for heirlooms, or non hybrids?
Seed Savers Exchange. Definitely worth becoming a member to support them although you do not need to be a member to buy seeds. As a member you get additional mailings and there are more heirloom seeds available to members through the mailings.

Seed Savers Exchange

Old 11-06-2009, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Simple-------raise what you want ( vegetables and meat)

When you want to sell to the public , you should be governed the same as big producers.

What makes you so special that safety laws/regulations shouldn't apply if you want to sell to the public ?
Some of those "big producer" laws are outrageous and financially impossible for the small farmer to implement.

Big Ag and CAFO's are the ones needing more regulation, not the small farmers. They are the ones that over stock, pollute and practice pro-active medication due to crowded conditions.

The ones pushing this additional regulation on small producers ARE the big Ag companies. Just think about that one for a bit. Then think about all those recalls and where they got traced back to..NOT small producers.

Old 11-06-2009, 03:13 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,810,657 times
So... the illuminati is gonna come mow over your vegetable garden now?! Will that be before or after they take your guns, put you in a FEMA camp and make you breathe chemtrails?

Old 11-06-2009, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Some of those "big producer" laws are outrageous and financially impossible for the small farmer to implement.

Big Ag and CAFO's are the ones needing more regulation, not the small farmers. They are the ones that over stock, pollute and practice pro-active medication due to crowded conditions.

The ones pushing this additional regulation on small producers ARE the big Ag companies. Just think about that one for a bit. Then think about all those recalls and where they got traced back to..NOT small producers.
All it will take a major disease outbreak, and small livestock producers will be unable to sell livestock , not because of a law, but because small salesbarns won't accept livestock that are not following proper,uniform, identification policies on their farm.

Old 11-06-2009, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
All it will take a major disease outbreak, and small livestock producers will be unable to sell livestock , not because of a law, but because small salesbarns won't accept livestock that are not following proper,uniform, identification policies on their farm.
That's fine..I don't plan to sell any of my animals at the sales barn.
Nor would I ever BUY any animals from a sales barn.

Small producers with any knowledge know very well to stay away from sales barns.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:40 PM

Yikes, how small a producer are you talking about?

A floppy hatted guy with one cow ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness