Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2019, 05:10 PM

8,922 posts, read 4,626,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston196 View Post
This thread is 10 years old and we aren't any closer to collapse than when it started.
There is that false sense of safety I was talking about.
Just because we have swung away from collapse, momentarily,
doesn't mean we will remain safe.

Quote:
The wonders of fiat, being able to just print money out of thin air is a marvel. I wonder how long the marvelous invention of free money will last?
I found two articles that discuss the present and probably future of Fiat Currency.

The first one is short, and current:
https://www.bullionstar.com/article/...apercurrencies
Quote:
These cycles have been repeating for centuries. ... countries that broke peg with gold standard and introduced fiat currencies go through a five-stage cycle.

Stage 1 is fuelled by optimism ...

In Stage 2, restrictions would be slowly removed from the currency-creation process. ...

Stage 3 is the gambling stage where excessive liquidity makes ...

Stage 4 is the penultimate stage of the fiat cycle. Sluggish growth in western countries force financial institutes ...

Stage 5 occurs when there is hyperinflation, which is ...
Stages 1 thru 3 have come and gone, and stage 4 is in progress.
Stage 5 is speculation, since having the whole world awash in fiat currency has never happened before.
Some experts believe that, instead of hyperinflation, things will just grind to a halt.

This is an older article, but with a great deal more detail:
https://www.businessinsider.com/the-...urrency-2011-7
Looks like it is still holding true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2019, 05:23 PM

146 posts, read 73,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
It will last as long as it's accepted.
Well, even if it loses 99% of it's value it will still be accepted - and collapse would have long since happened.
I shouldn't say it's "free money" exactly - they do have to account for it by adding it to a deficit that will never be repaid.
And the noose tightens.

Old 07-16-2019, 05:29 PM

2,898 posts, read 1,863,125 times
Our fiat currency will be accepted until.... It won't be.

The group of BRICS nation's is trying to devalue and create a work around to our reserve currency.

Our debt load is increasing at clearly unsustainable rates. (10 years ago it was conceivable that we could right the ship and control the debt, now it's a mathmatical impossibility)

Very shortly we will barely be able to just afford the interest on the national debt.

In the very near future (possibly August or September) there is going to be a nasty political fight about the budget and raising the debt ceiling again. We are about to hit the ceiling and in order to keep it going it will need to be raised again. It's worth keeping an eye on.

Old 07-16-2019, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
Our fiat currency will be accepted until.... It won't be.

The group of BRICS nation's is trying to devalue and create a work around to our reserve currency.

Our debt load is increasing at clearly unsustainable rates. (10 years ago it was conceivable that we could right the ship and control the debt, now it's a mathmatical impossibility)

Very shortly we will barely be able to just afford the interest on the national debt.

In the very near future (possibly August or September) there is going to be a nasty political fight about the budget and raising the debt ceiling again. We are about to hit the ceiling and in order to keep it going it will need to be raised again. It's worth keeping an eye on.
Time to buy bitcoin? Or gold? or guns/ammo/food/fuel and get ready for a bugout? How bad will it get?

Old 07-16-2019, 06:08 PM

2,898 posts, read 1,863,125 times
Quote:
Time to buy bitcoin? Or gold? or guns/ammo/food/fuel and get ready for a bugout? How bad will it get?
I don't know? I wish I did but it's almost impossible to predict. It could be a week or a century. I'm not smart enough to know.

But, is it ever really a bad time to buy guns ammo food investments and supplies??

Old 07-16-2019, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
I don't know? I wish I did but it's almost impossible to predict. It could be a week or a century. I'm not smart enough to know.

But, is it ever really a bad time to buy guns ammo food investments and supplies??
For me it is, I don't care to live in a world that has gone bonkers - the preppers can have it. I barely care about living in a pre-bonkers world.

Old 07-16-2019, 06:52 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,082,562 times
Quote:
For me it is, I don't care to live in a world that has gone bonkers - the preppers can have it. I barely care about living in a pre-bonkers world.
Well look on the bright side. The majority of the population would die,and only the toughest would survive. Probably be good,for "climate change", eh?

Old 07-16-2019, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
Well look on the bright side. The majority of the population would die,and only the toughest would survive. Probably be good,for "climate change", eh?
That is a bright side since my opinion of the human race is pretty low. From the rest of the earth's standpoint a human global economic meltdown would be cause for celebration. Personally I'd enjoy seeing the richest on the planet get ransacked.

Old 07-16-2019, 08:51 PM

154 posts, read 92,568 times
There are no other prophecies to take place. The rapture can take place at any time now. Christians will be missing off the face of the earth, along with little children and those who cannot accept Christ.

A 7 year tribulation will occur with the last 3.5 years being the time you need to store up food. If you do not get saved during that time, accept the offer of your creator to live with him in heaven, it's the lake of fire for you.

I plan to prep for about 5 years in case I am not raptured up. Reading the bible and the John Ankenburg Show on Youtube seems to re-iterate it. I look up every verse, memorize the chapters before and after, they;ve not been wrong yet. I listen to the audio bible for 4 hrs each night and do not attend church, never have and have no religious background. Eventually i will need to join a church as the scriptures indicate

Old 07-16-2019, 09:04 PM

4,410 posts, read 4,891,496 times
"Well, even if it loses 99% of it's value it will still be accepted - and collapse would have long since happened."

Since the Federal Reserve Note (what most people call a "dollar") was invented in 1913, it has lost 96% of it's value. Do you mean 99% of it's original value, or 99% of the remaining 4% of the value it still holds?

How long will the "free money" last? I recently read something that kind of made me chuckle: asking when the USA will run out of money is sort of like asking the Catholic church when they will run out of Jesus. But chuckles aside, so long as the USD is the dominant reserve currency, we can continue printing as much of it as we want. How long will that last? Ask Saudi Arabia and the other OPEC countries that agreed to Nixon/Kissinger's request back in 1971 to only sell oil in US dollars in exchange for us protecting their oil fields and selling them weapons. So long as oil can only be purchased with USD, everybody else is going to need us to keep printing it.

And what about the countries who accept payment for oil in other than USD? Russia, Iran, Syria, Libya, Venezuela, Iraq (briefly, before we invaded). Notice a pattern?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness