Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2021, 08:13 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,904,348 times

Advertisements

"who is going to be putting food into dumpsters"

Most people find the unprocessed raw material for soylent green is hard to get used to, but eventually the people in the city have no choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2021, 08:47 PM

728 posts, read 303,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I live rural. I am well aware of how easy it is to live rural.

I have never gotten into the habit of using Colgate, my employer specifically forbids the use of that brand name of toothpaste. I use baking soda.

Living rural is one thing, living off the land is another. In a Big Collapse, stores in rural areas will be the first to be emptied out when supply lines breakdown.

Old 03-04-2021, 09:04 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chenping View Post
Living rural is one thing, living off the land is another. In a Big Collapse, stores in rural areas will be the first to be emptied out when supply lines breakdown.
I think that very few people would really care if a rural grocery store has empty shelves. Roadside farmers markets provide most of the food eaten in my township, the rest is accounted for by what we barter amongst ourselves.

I am an organic farmer. My farm is off-grid on solar power. I am one of the vendors who sells food in a farmers market.

Old 03-04-2021, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
... Most people find the unprocessed raw material for soylent green is hard to get used to, but eventually the people in the city have no choice.
In my travels I have lived in a few cities. Rarely have I seen urbanites producing their own food. From my observation producing food has been almost exclusively a feature of rural people.

The only food that you could readily produce in most cities would be 'soylent green', and even then your supply for the raw material would ever be in short supply.

Rural people produce food.

Urban people produce some thing else, ...

Old 03-04-2021, 09:14 PM

Quote:
I think that very few people would really care if a rural grocery store has empty shelves. Roadside farmers markets provide most of the food eaten in my township, the rest is accounted for by what we barter amongst ourselves.

I am an organic farmer. My farm is off-grid on solar power. I am one of the vendors who sells food in a farmers market.

Ok, you got me. So, you do live off the land. I thought you were a city guy cashing out before the Big Collapse.

If being a farmer is a lifestyle choice, then you a missing out on the good life in the city.

Old 03-04-2021, 09:19 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
Quote:
See this is an urban mindset (purchase everything you need from others who produce or transport it). While the grocery store may be a convenient way to acquire some things, it's not necessary for survival. A true rural mindset is you produce a lot of what you need. And while I can produce plenty of maple syrup and all the sugar I'll ever need, along with fruit from my orchard and firewood from my woods to heat my home, in addition to potatoes and other veggies, I can't raise beef on my small (10 acre) property. But my good friend has a beef farm and I already know I'll have meat if I need it. In addition to opportunities to sometimes harvest wild game or to get some trout from the streams. I can trade maple sugar for some eggs or chickens to someone down the road who raises them. Or firewood for some work performed I don't have equipment for. Unlike you in the city, I know I will always have clean water from my springs, a source of heat, and some sort of shelter, even if the house burns. And I will always have something to eat. Without digging through a nasty dumpster, potentially catching a disease in the process, nor having to rely on a charity. In a bad scenario (think civil war perhaps), the farmers and others may not wish to share the products of their labor with those in the big cities. Or may be prevented from doing so due to a lack of transportation, violence, etc.

Old 03-04-2021, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
See this is an urban mindset (purchase everything you need from others who produce or transport it). While the grocery store may be a convenient way to acquire some things, it's not necessary for survival. A true rural mindset is you produce a lot of what you need. And while I can produce plenty of maple syrup and all the sugar I'll ever need, along with fruit from my orchard and firewood from my woods to heat my home, in addition to potatoes and other veggies, I can't raise beef on my small (10 acre) property. But my good friend has a beef farm and I already know I'll have meat if I need it. In addition to opportunities to sometimes harvest wild game or to get some trout from the streams. I can trade maple sugar for some eggs or chickens to someone down the road who raises them. Or firewood for some work performed I don't have equipment for. Unlike you in the city, I know I will always have clean water from my springs, a source of heat, and some sort of shelter, even if the house burns. And I will always have something to eat. Without digging through a nasty dumpster, potentially catching a disease in the process, nor having to rely on a charity. In a bad scenario (think civil war perhaps), the farmers and others may not wish to share the products of their labor with those in the big cities. Or may be prevented from doing so due to a lack of transportation, violence, etc.

Hey, I am not knocking your rural way of life living close to the land. This is why I got myself 80 acres up in the mountains of West Virginia. I let a neighbor graze his cattle on my land and he takes care of the property. It is my go to place when the SHTF in the city.

Old 03-04-2021, 09:44 PM

Quote:
... If being a farmer is a lifestyle choice, then you a missing out on the good life in the city.
I have lived both lifestyles. I decided to live here after I retired. As far as I am concerned this is a far superior lifestyle.

This is the 'good life'.

Old 03-04-2021, 10:01 PM

Quote:
I have lived both lifestyles. I decided to live here after I retired. As far as I am concerned this is a far superior lifestyle.

This is the 'good life'.

Good for you, buddy. I want the best of both worlds at the same time.

Old 03-05-2021, 02:59 AM

2,899 posts, read 1,869,150 times
Quote:
If being a farmer is a lifestyle choice, then you a missing out on the good life in the city.

According to who?

That's merely your opinion. That's hardly fact.

Shocking to you, many people CHOOSE to live rural and to them it is the good life.

I could live in the city for more cheaply than where I live now. No thanks. I want absolutely nothing to do with it and I actively avoid going there as little as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness