Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 04:54 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,397,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinsMama View Post
Did the US not make it out okay after the Great Depression?
Yes. Because the vast majority of US citizens, at that time, were good Americans. Hardworking, resourceful, independent and had an aversion to handouts.

Sadly, the majority of citizens today do not fit into that description that epitomized "The Greatest Generation". They weren't called "great" for nothin', ya know.

Old 10-11-2009, 06:25 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,622,832 times
Thinking about this thread, I see a microcosm of society and the probable reactions to a meltdown scenario. Just off the top of my head:

• Using the classic 80/20 Rule, I'd envision that 80% of the population will NOT be prepared, and will be at the mercy of the remaining 20%
  • Using a few historical occurrences of "meltdowns", I'd say 70% of the population will NOT be prepared, 20% will be somewhat prepared, and the remaining 10% will be fully prepared.
  • Using street crime stats, fully 94% of the population will be "victims" while only 6% will successfully "fight back".
From past research for teaching self-defense classes, I found that most victims had a "It'll never happen to ME" philosophy. This was a prime factor in determining the outcome of their attack. From that earlier-quoted 94%, something like 6-8% (I've forgotten the exact numbers - sorry) will attempt to defend themselves, but unsuccessfully. Only that final 6%, whether through preparation, good luck or the will of God, were able to walk away from their encounters with body, mind and wallet intact.

Old 10-13-2009, 01:40 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,551,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
Thinking about this thread, I see a microcosm of society and the probable reactions to a meltdown scenario. Just off the top of my head:

• Using the classic 80/20 Rule, I'd envision that 80% of the population will NOT be prepared, and will be at the mercy of the remaining 20%
  • Using a few historical occurrences of "meltdowns", I'd say 70% of the population will NOT be prepared, 20% will be somewhat prepared, and the remaining 10% will be fully prepared.
  • Using street crime stats, fully 94% of the population will be "victims" while only 6% will successfully "fight back".
From past research for teaching self-defense classes, I found that most victims had a "It'll never happen to ME" philosophy. This was a prime factor in determining the outcome of their attack. From that earlier-quoted 94%, something like 6-8% (I've forgotten the exact numbers - sorry) will attempt to defend themselves, but unsuccessfully. Only that final 6%, whether through preparation, good luck or the will of God, were able to walk away from their encounters with body, mind and wallet intact.
The smartest, the 10-20% of those who are "prepared" will probably never let anyone know they're prepared.

I was thinking about leaving the country, but it's a lot harder than I realized.

Kate

Old 10-14-2009, 10:17 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,832,394 times
The Meltdown will only come after the Revolution.

I plan to get all I need during the Revolution.

Maybe even a position in the new Regime.

Then I won't have to worry about the Meltdown.

Old 10-15-2009, 02:02 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
I don't agree with a Mad Max future, but if it did come, I plan to give my assets to my neighbor who built my house and has two kids, ask him to shoot my dogs, and allow me to check out quietly. I've lived my life and don't want to take part in that kind of future. Just not interested enough.

Old 10-15-2009, 02:05 PM

1,000 posts, read 3,348,207 times
Er...uh, why would he have to shoot your dogs?

Old 10-15-2009, 02:13 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
You ever heard what dogsw do when their not fed for awhile? Ask anyone who was a energency work IN NO after katrina.

Old 10-16-2009, 05:57 AM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times
I'm looking to buy a couple guardian breed dogs, learning to sprout seeds, reading, planning to move further out away from people, realizing that we will need weapons to defend what we have. Right now they are trying to say the economy is improving and I expected this before the "fall". I heard that stores have a two-week supply of food so what happens after the two weeks if supplies stop? Americans have let their freedoms slowly slip away and it is so sad. You can depend on "you" so that will let you know where you stand. We are not bouncing back this time. Use these next couple years to build your reserve and learn, learn, learn and be ready to go without technology - hey, I just thought of a positive thing about being older and having grown up in the sticks! Cool!

Old 10-16-2009, 07:06 AM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I'm looking to buy a couple guardian breed dogs, learning to sprout seeds, reading, planning to move further out away from people, realizing that we will need weapons to defend what we have. Right now they are trying to say the economy is improving and I expected this before the "fall".
So your still a few years away from being 'ready'.

Quote:
... I heard that stores have a two-week supply of food so what happens after the two weeks if supplies stop?
I stock shelves p/t in a grocery. They get two major shipments each week, plus 2 or 3 trucks that arrive each day.

If the 2 big shipments stopped, our 50% of our shelves would be bare in 3 days.

The remainder now would take 2 weeks to be picked clean. But if there were a SHTF scenario folks would be less picky and even the stuff left after 3 days would be stripped totally bare within 5 days.

Quote:
... Americans have let their freedoms slowly slip away and it is so sad. You can depend on "you" so that will let you know where you stand. We are not bouncing back this time. Use these next couple years to build your reserve and learn, learn, learn and be ready to go without technology - hey, I just thought of a positive thing about being older and having grown up in the sticks! Cool!
I agree.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:14 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinsMama View Post
Did the US not make it out okay after the Great Depression?
How many Americans today would know what to do if they were given a 5lb bag of flour ?

How many Americans know how to plant their own food ?
How many American know how to sew by hand ?

That's just to name a few "lost" skills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness