Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 07:28 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times

Advertisements

Even if you can't totally execute on a plan, it's good to have a plan.
Go to some of the gloom & doom survivor sites and just read. There's a wealth of info there. These folks have perfected preparing for when TSHTF.

Here's some examples:

If you live in a big city have a BOB ..bug-out-bag. Should unrest occur grab the bag and just leave.
Scout out smaller rural communities where you can go to if TSHTF. That will become your new home.
Have an escape plan.

Most agree the cities are the last place you want to be. Rural communities are better in that they are already community-minded, fairly independent and know more about self-sustainability.

If you can, go ahead and buy that "place in the country" now. 5-10 acres, even 3 acres will do.
Septic, water well, a dwelling. If you have a place already, slowly stock it with your preps.

Pay off/down your debts. Keep enough cash to last you a few months..small bills.

Stock dry/canned goods. Get a small charcoal BBQ and stock bags of charcoal for cooking.

100 Items to Disappear First

Now, let's say nothing happens. Well, now you have a weekend place in the country and have powered down your life which costs less which enables you to either get a lower paying job and enjoy life more or save more and improve that country property and retire to it later.

To me this type of prep is a win/win. You're ready if TSHTF OR you've powered down you life.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:34 AM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
How many Americans today would know what to do if they were given a 5lb bag of flour ?

How many Americans know how to plant their own food ?
How many American know how to sew by hand ?

That's just to name a few "lost" skills.
I do.

We picked the most rural area we could find, with the cheapest land, the lowest taxes, and the lowest cost-of-living.

I bought land in 2005 and began building a house. We got started with: livestock, raised-bed gardens, maple syrup tapping, ginseng growing in the forest, chickens, greenhouses, bees, mushrooms, orchards, ...

I even did a year as a vendor at a local Farmer's Market, I had to back out as we realized that our production is not high enough yet to supply a table consistently.

Even with the knowledge of these skills. After you get your land it will still take you as long as 10-years to get up to the level where you are producing 95% of your own food.

It is easy to produce 100qts of tomatoes. But 100qts will not feed a family for very long.

You need grains, and lettuce, spinach, carrots, onions, garlic, beans, turnips, horseradish, ....

My point is that you need to be able to produce dozens of different crops, all at fairly large quantities, before you can feed your family exclusively; and it takes time. A year to try it this way, a year to try it that way, ...

Old 10-16-2009, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
My point is that you need to be able to produce dozens of different crops, all at fairly large quantities, before you can feed your family exclusively; and it takes time. A year to try it this way, a year to try it that way, ...
I do enjoy reading your posts forest beekeeper.

Knowing your neighbors will also come in handy. I can easily see bartering making a comeback.

Yes indeed it takes quite some time to get yourself set up.
But it's never too late to start..and starting late is better than not starting at all.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:32 AM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
... Knowing your neighbors will also come in handy. I can easily see bartering making a comeback.

Yes indeed it takes quite some time to get yourself set up.
But it's never too late to start..and starting late is better than not starting at all.
I agree.

On a few of the BBS' I visit I do see threads come up from time to time about the value of having a stash of veggie seeds. So that if the SHTF tomorrow then you could begin a garden from those seeds and feed yourself.

It is just not very realistic.

A successful farmer is likely one who has been farming for many years.

You can not suddenly decide that you are going to start building automobiles, and in a month drive away in your first caddy. It takes time and a lot of effort.

Set within this OP, if you think that you will produce your own food during a 'meltdown' then you need to get started, cause the meltdown is beginning. And your 'plan' needs to include in it, the time that it takes to be successful.

Old 10-16-2009, 02:54 PM

Yes it does. I have experimented though over the years. I had some 5 year old seeds and they sprouted this year..about 50% viability.

I buy heirloom and have also collected my own seeds.

Unless you are doing it today..you are correct in that you cannot do it over night.

Old 10-16-2009, 06:50 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,223,538 times
Quote:
How many Americans today would know what to do if they were given a 5lb bag of flour ?

How many Americans know how to plant their own food ?
How many American know how to sew by hand ?

That's just to name a few "lost" skills.
Which is why I thank my lucky stars I grew up in an era (1960s) and in a rural setting (110-acre hobby farm) taking home ec sewing classes, joining 4-H, chopping firewood, digging ditches, using an outhouse, tending a huge garden, canning, hunting, shooting predators after the chickens, and generally not KNOWING that everyone wasn't as self-sufficient as we were.

Those skills are like riding a bike. I haven't forgotten how...and I'm 62.

My best advice is picking the brains of the experts at your County Extension Service and downloading their online pamphlets. There's a wealth of local info there that's priceless.

Old 10-17-2009, 01:01 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,832,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahkate_m View Post

i've heard that the mormons keep about 5 years worth of food on hand....
Yes, and they have plenty of women.
The Mormons are the first ones my band of marauding pirates plan to visit.

Old 10-17-2009, 01:13 AM

2,353 posts, read 5,376,131 times
After reading this thread I feel as though I'm fooked. I can hardly make a P/B sandwhich

Old 10-17-2009, 07:07 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,087,251 times
Quote:
To me this type of prep is a win/win. You're ready if TSHTF OR you've powered down you life.
Its funny how strong a sense of "ownership" people have over things like land, but tell me if the "TSHTF" who is going to guarantee your property rights?

Buying land for when the "TSHTF" makes no sense, property rights will mean nothing. This is not to mention that the vast majority of the country is empty land, why purchase what you can simply claim for free?

The only thing that means anything when the "TSHTF" is what is in your head, nothing else matters.

Old 10-17-2009, 07:13 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,087,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
You can not suddenly decide that you are going to start building automobiles, and in a month drive away in your first caddy. It takes time and a lot of effort.
This is a pretty silly analogy, when I was in High School I took an agriculture class and I don't recall a single student having a garden that did not produce anything. Growing vegetables, etc is not that hard...now starting a successful farm and with high yields per acre is a different story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness